A character can have up to 100 skillpoints per character level assigned at once, with a total of 10,000 at the level cap of 100. No individual skill can be increased beyond 700. The skill point cost to increase a skill is 1 + current skill/100. So increasing a skill from 0-99 costs 1 skillpoint per 1 point of increase, 100-199 costs 2 skillpoints per 1 point of increase, 200-299 costs 3 skillpoints per 1 point of increase, and so on. Thus, higher skill levels require more of an investment.
After increasing a skill to a certain point, one must practice that skill - perform activities with it that net experience - before one can increase that skill any further. Practice levels are shown in the output of the
Skills can be increased in a training area (noted by the word training next to the room name) with the
skill increase <skill> <amount> command.
- Heavy Armor - Reduces penalties and grants bonuses when wearing cumbersome and rigid armor types, such as rigid leather or metal plate. Heavy armor makes many activities difficult, including stealth, swimming, and wilderness climbing. It is also tiring to wear, making prolonged strenuous activity difficult and exhausting. Those who utilize heavy armor are strongly encouraged to have a mount if they wish to do any traveling. On the plus side, a warrior in heavy armor is nigh impervious to harm on the battlefield.
- Light Armor - Reduces penalties and grants bonuses when wearing lighter, more flexible armor, such as quilted armor, soft leather, or fine chainmail. Light armor is particularly suited to those who need to be light on their feet, travel and explore often, or utilize stealth.
- Medium Armor - Reduces penalties and grants bonuses when wearing heavy but relatively flexible armor, such as brigandine or chainmail.
- Dodge - Dodge training focuses on avoiding attacks altogether, rather than blocking or parrying. Heavier armor, shields, and weapons, as well as carrying too much weight, can severely hinder dodging, and so it is best left to those who prefer lighter arms and armor. Dodging is not as effective when riding a mount.
- Melee Combat - General skill at melee combat with any weapon, both offense and defense. Some weapon types may be less effective without specialization, such as swords, flails, and some of the more awkward polearms.
- Ranged Combat - General skill at ranged combat with any attack, both offense and defense. Some weapon types may be less effective without specialization, such as slings.
- Shield Use - Shields are useful for blocking incoming blows and are particularly useful against attacks that cannot be parried, such as arrows or magic bolts. Skilled shield users can also use their shields as an effective secondary weapon, taking opportunities to bash their foes.
- Animal Husbandry - Animal Husbandry is the skill of breeding and raising livestock.
- Brewing - Brewing is the process of creating drinks from raw materials.
- Construction - Construction applies to projects involving multiple pieces such as building furniture or fences, and even some structures, such as animal sheds and silos for farms.
- Cooking - Cooking is useful for producing edible foods from basic ingredients. Greater skill at cooking can produce finer meals that may increase morale and possibly grant other beneficial effects.
- Farming - Farming training allows a person to farm more effectively. A skilled farmer will find they are able to harvest more each time they plant.
- Glassworking - Shaping glass into various useful items.
- Herbalism - Herbalism goes beyond simple bushcraft foraging and crude first aid, being the dedicated study of plants and fungi. With the correct ingredients, knowledge, and tools, herbalism can be used to produce powerful healing agents, poisons, and potions or salves with a wide variety of effects.
- Lapidary - Lapidary training allows you to more effectively cut precious gems and stones from raw material, to be sold or for use in jewelry crafting.
- Leatherworking - Leatherworking is the art of using animal pelts or scales to create useful items such as armor, containers or clothing.
- Locksmithing - Locksmithing is the knowledge of how locking mechanisms work, and imparts skills that can allow one to bypass locks with lockpicks rather than a key.
- Masonry - Masonry is the ability to craft items from stone.
- Metallurgy - Metallurgy grants the ability to process ores into metals, and higher skill can unlock rarer alloys.
- Metalworking - Metalworking is the general ability to craft metal items, both components and full pieces.
- Mining - Mining training will allow you to more effectively and efficiently mine for precious metals and stones, as well as identify some of the rarer or non-obvious minerals that unskilled miners would not recognize.
- Pottery - Shaping clay and similar materials into useful items like jars, bricks, and molds for metal-casting.
- Skinning - Skinning is the ability to remove skins and pelts from dead animals, for selling or for use in other activities such as leatherworking.
- Tailoring - Tailoring is the crafting of clothing out of cloth and thread.
- Weaving - Weaving allows one to craft cloth and thread out of natural materials, knit, and craft some small woven handcrafts.
- Woodcutting - Woodcutting training includes felling trees as well as removing the branches afterward and preparing the felled tree to be ready for use as lumber.
- Woodworking - Woodworking is the general ability to carve, shape and treat wood, crafting it into useful items. Some more specialized branches of woodworking may be required for more complicated crafting.
- Bushcraft - Bushcraft is a general survival skillset, useful for making use of natural resources out in the wilderness.
- Climbing - Training in climbing will aid in virtually all climbing situations such as rock climbing, rope climbing and so forth. A necessary skill for the rugged explorer who wants no paths barred.
- Fishing - Fishing skill allows for a character to catch fish via various means, starting with angling (fishing with a rod, line, hook, and bait).
- Meditation - Meditation is the ability to keep one's mind clear and focused. It generally synergizes well with mental and scholarly skills, and also helps a bit at warding off negative mental effects.
- Perception - Perception is the general ability to pick up on one's surroundings and notice anything of interest. It includes tapping into all the five senses, and some say those with a particularly powerful perception have been able to hone a sort of "sixth sense."
- Riding - Riding skill determines how well one can ride and control mounts.
- Stealth - Stealth is the ability to move and act unseen or unnoticed. It involves both sticking to the shadows as well as adapting to one's surroundings to act in a manner that won't draw attention to oneself, effectively hiding in plain sight. For anyone planning on doing any scouting, spying, elusive game hunting or less-than-reputable acts such as burglary, stealth is a must.
- Swimming - Swimming training will aid in activities such as swimming across a river, fighting strong currents, diving, and holding your breath longer underwater.
- Tracking - Tracking is the ability to identify tracks left by creatures on the ground, and combines well with stealth skill for hunting wild game.
- Acrobatics - The ability to perform acrobatic feats including tumbling, jumping, and flipping.
- Artifice - While stealth involves moving about unseen, artifice is more about misdirection and concealing the movement or manipulation of objects. Useful for concealing actions such as performance tricks, picking up or stowing objects unnoticed, dirty tricks, and for the particularly shady individuals: picking pockets and stealing.
- Dancing - The ability to perform elaborate and moving dances.
- Music - Music theory, ability to properly discern tone and pitch, and general ability to play musical instruments or sing. Combines well with storytelling into singing.
- Storytelling - The ability to put words into a story with enthusiasm and convey powerful emotion through the spoken word. Combines well with music into singing.
- Arcana - Arcana is a focused study of the arcane, necessary to really understand arcane symbols and occult diagrams.
- Druidry - Druidry is the ability to channel one's desires and will in order to influence the natural living world, including plant and animal life.
- Linguistics - Linguistics is the study of language, especially useful for deciphering texts and learning additional languages. Some say that the better grasp of language, the more influence can be wielded through it.
- Lore - Lore is a general study of the world, history, legends, and folklore. It can be useful for identifying relics and artifacts as well as important sites, and can also be somewhat useful in deciphering texts and understanding some of the arcane artifacts that have been described in records and tales.
- Medical - Medical skill determines your skill at treating and tending injuries, such as using bandages to dress wounds, applying a splint to a fractured leg, and at greater skill, surgeries and bone mending.
- Sorcery - Sorcery is the ability to channel and manipulate nether, and is frowned upon by many as a dangerous and corruptive practice.
- Trading - In addition to bartering for better prices at markets and such, those skilled at Trading may also be able to convince NPC merchants to sell things they normally wouldn't part with, or gain access to exclusive trade opportunities and events that other characters cannot.