Upcoming item count and storage limitations

Hear ye, hear ye!
artus

Re: Upcoming item count and storage limitations

Post by artus »

I know hanged man isn't meant to be as big as inn town but there may be something Rias can do about it so at least people have a way to live regardless of where they are container wise, or at least if the idea of primary inn will be a thing at all, which I hope. I've seen the room in hanged man. It's tiny and with very little storage space aside from the three containers, and I know a bunch of people just love playing that lifestyle.
Though I totally don't mind handing you my cart if you need it now, if I find out ic, heh.
artus

Post by artus »

Double post, sorry. I know this is going to be a bit counterproductive and a bit critical, but this is really meant to be a semi-serious joke and a totally serious request.
Could you at least make inn containers take up less space than this, at least may be just a little less? It feels suffocating right now and it's really hard to manage stuff. The worst comes to dropping body containers on the floor just to sort stuff, which I can't. Is a room supposed to be this claustrophobic? All of my inn containers aren't even full, just possibly near full and I already have no space to drop anything when I need to sort things. It feels like you walk in the inn room and your wardrobe and dresser are ready to squeeze you like sandwich in between or something, and dropping your own backpack on the floor makes you climb mount Himalaya to reach your own bed. It's weird, tbh.
Squeak

Post by Squeak »

Following my previous post, comparing the contents of my vault vs Tulpa's on discord, I've come to believe that handcarts might be taking too much floor space. On discord, Tulpa mentioned having 30 misc containers, vs my 7 items/containers (I forgot I had 10 clay in there as well). I'm guessing clay doesn't bundle to one parent item, or the handcart itself is taking up huge amounts of space.

BUT, a suggestion came to me: Could we have the CONTENTS command display something similar to:
  • You see the following items of note here:
    a burgundy-curtained window
    a dark-stained pine four-poster bed topped with burgundy quilts
    a fir armor stand (Holding x of x capacity)
    a hanging stained glass summer flower bouquet
    a high-backed dark pine chair
    a juniper nightmare-trap
    a lit oil lamp
    a long pine footlocker (open, holding x of x capacity)
    a plain pine dresser (open, Holding x of x capacity)
    a small square dark-stained pine table
    a floor (holding x of x capacity)
Would at least give us an idea of what type of limitations we're working with and give us players ways to mitigate the headaches by having the remaining capacity completely transparent.
merin

Post by merin »

I'm going to have to bolster the "let me see how much space I've got and what is taking up how much" because, realistically, if I was organizing a room I'd be able to make that determination as to what I could fit where. Alternatively, I should know how much space a thing takes up: is this a stupid dorm room wardrobe we're talking about that we can build here or more osmething akin to an armoir? The tables, is it an end table that fits a candle and a cup or is it a dining room table fit for four? Twelve? What kind of bed am I rockin: king, queen, full, etc? Since everything takes up space, how big actually is that strongbox? Is it a shipping box size or is it a toy chest? How about the small boxes: is it a a jewelry box, or is that a small amazon box in size? If you're going to limit how much we can put where, we should at least know how big the space we're working with is, and how big the things we can put in it, that actually affect how full the space is, are.
Serity

Post by Serity »

merin wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:56 amI'm going to have to bolster the "let me see how much space I've got and what is taking up how much" because, realistically, if I was organizing a room I'd be able to make that determination as to what I could fit where.
You can examine any container to see how much it can hold, at the least. It doesn't tell you how much is in it, though.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

With a restricting change like this it's just not going to feel great in general, so I appreciate everyone's patience as we feel things out and fix up bugs. I'm going to give it some time yet before we consider going back the other way on storage limits, because it's going to hurt the most at the start and I want to get past the initial reaction phase.

More container capacity means an item takes up more floor space. The full floor space is taken up regardless of how full the item is. Otherwise we'd end up with goofy situations like putting a bunch of empty containers in a room while they hardly count for any capacity, and then filling each one up after they've all been placed to get more space than should be possible. So it's better to have a few containers and use them to their full capacity rather than to have multiple containers at partial capacity. (Sorry, Labeled Package Gang.)

As requested, the CONTENTS command now shows the floor space taken up by containers, as well as shows the current floor space stats of rooms that have less than full outdoors capacity. EXAMINE does show capacity, but that's not always accurate as some items have different floor space stats (armor stands, minecarts, logging sleds).

The Hanged Man does have less floor space than the primary town inns, since it's the "you probably don't have any other choice" option and is supposed to feel less ideal than the inns available to those with access to the primary towns.

Items that are more collectible-like, such as figurines, seashells, and maybe gems, are good candidates for virtualization in a collectibles case item or something like that. It does hurt a bit to know that fun-but-not-necessarily-useful items at festivals and the like will become less popular now that people need to consider whether it's worth spending storage space on, but I hope it's understandable that we eventually hit a point where we realized limitations were required and we couldn't keep accommodating virtually limitless item storage.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Serity

Post by Serity »

Rias wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:05 pmAs requested, the CONTENTS command now shows the floor space taken up by containers, as well as shows the current floor space stats of rooms that have less than full outdoors capacity.
You see the following items of note here:
a small pine bed topped with a brown wool quilt
a small rough pine dresser (open) (floorspace: 100)
(102 of 0 floor space used, -102 space left.)
Those tiny rooms really are tiny!

(This isn't a bug report, just a 'haha this is funny' report)
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Rias wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:05 pm Items that are more collectible-like, such as figurines, seashells, and maybe gems, are good candidates for virtualization in a collectibles case item or something like that. It does hurt a bit to know that fun-but-not-necessarily-useful items at festivals and the like will become less popular now that people need to consider whether it's worth spending storage space on, but I hope it's understandable that we eventually hit a point where we realized limitations were required and we couldn't keep accommodating virtually limitless item storage.
I know you dread the potential for clutter from people wanting to forage flowers, but - it'd be nice if flowers could be virtualized in the form of pressed flowers in a special book/folder/whatever (and then make it so that unpressed flowers just eventually disappear if they aren't pressed to be stored, woven into a flower crown, etc., after a certain amount of time, sort of like how food spoils except I would just have the item deleted eventually, which you could also extend to healing herbs that aren't being used for Whatever Healing Recipes eventually exist, perhaps with a way to also bundle those by drying and crushing into "a handful of crushed <herb>" that can be used 1 for 1 or 2 for 1 when making unguents/salves/poultices when that system gets more expanded).
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Rias, are you doing any of the following?:

- Printing to stdout. Like at all. Python's printing is very, very slow. I had a game server of less than a thousandth (arbitrary guess) of the packet traffic running that would have the client print to stdout on every incoming packet. It ran at 2 frames per second, down from 62.5, if anything intensive was done. Removing those print statements nearly fixed the issue. (Admittedly a big part of it was also optimization on my end, cause I was just messing with things, but the illustration is still there.)
- Redirecting output I.E. writing logs to disk in real time. It's understandable this is slow.
- String Formatting, specifically f"{a} {b} {c}" is really, really slow. I'm not sure how you build your strings but it's worth mentioning, because FString formatting is awesome.
- Logging in general could be cut down, maybe? It's worth taking a peek at, perhaps.

These are only tips. You're more experienced than me. Just pointing out a few things I've seen people stumble on by accident, plus things I'm done myself.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
artus

Post by artus »

Let's say if a display case will be a thing, how am I supposed to make it fit within the space of 520/550 capacity my room can hold? The 30 is not enough to do anything and I have no idea where the 20 comes from. Am I that big? It doesn't matter how many items I transfer in and out of the containers because the space is going to stay the same even with everything full.

You see the following items of note here:
(portal) a copper-knobbed pine door
a festive deep-green holly wreath
a cedar armor stand (floorspace: 50)
a glass-paned square window with forest-green curtains (open)
a hanging stained glass summer flower bouquet
a heavy pine trunk (open) (floorspace: 100)
a long pine footlocker (open) (floorspace: 100)
a plain pine dresser (open) (floorspace: 100)
a rough-carved pine bed topped with thick green and brown quilts
a rough-carved pine chair
a rustic pine wardrobe (open) (floorspace: 100)
a small round pine table (floorspace: 50)
a wash basin
(520 of 550 floor space used, 30 space left.)

It doesn't even mention the 20 and I can't at least set my own bag on the floor if not just for a moment to sort stuff in there and calculate my encumbrance or whatever. What? A bag is as big as a table and takes up 50 floor space? I have no idea about that.

Whatever is the case, please have a look into this. Something seems wonky somewhere, I think.