Upcoming item count and storage limitations

Hear ye, hear ye!
artus

Re: Upcoming item count and storage limitations

Post by artus »

I hope that "For the time being" in the post before the changelog actually means For the time being before handcart storage in stables was a thing, because no handcart on farms means farm nightmare especially for fruit sellers like pumpkins and watermelons. It's already very bad as it is now, possibly the worst when you have 50 plots full of pumpkins, market flood in town, can't sell, have to go to new emberlight with 18 pumpkins back and forth.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

adresin wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:07 pm Speaking of mines, if this hasn't already been done and apologies if I already posted this, but I personally think their space needs some serious rethinking. Same with places like the bank.
Are you still having issues after Saturday's update that removed the space restrictions from most non-storage rooms? I just scooted a handcart through a mine room with mine supports and four other handcarts in it and I didn't have any trouble, but there may be a room in there somewhere that's specifically set to still have a limited amount of space for some reason.
Sometimes it's just not possible to use up everything after mining, or some other activity the cart has been used for, so for crafters that's going to force us to keep a lot of our vault space empty for said cart
Would you consider selling excess materials you haven't managed to use up and have no pressing immediate use for? I realize after getting used to a lack of storage limitations, any kind of limitation is going to not feel great. I'll continue to keep an eye on things and consider which numbers and systems still need to be tweaked, but I think it'll also take some adjustment to how the general crafting process is approached. For instance: a shift to gathering and preparing resources for a specific purpose and then using them, rather than just building up general stockpiles. It'd also be a good idea in general for crafters to pick a few crafts to focus on since trying to maintain too many at the same time will result in material/component storage hassles.
I have to wonder, is it one of each, or just one? Like can you store one cart and one sled?
Just one.
artus wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:17 pm farm nightmare especially for fruit sellers like pumpkins and watermelons. It's already very bad as it is now, possibly the worst when you have 50 plots full of pumpkins, market flood in town, can't sell, have to go to new emberlight with 18 pumpkins back and forth.
Hauling of larger crops and market flooding thresholds are both things to be looked into, but while things are as current, would you be willing to consider mixing some other crops into your farm plots that are easier to manage? They might not be as profitable per unit as watermelons or pumpkins, but crops that sell for less are better than crops that don't sell at all due to flooding and take up precious storage space waiting for the markets to clear up again. It might be good to discourage monoculture farming in general by giving some bonuses for crop variety on farms in any case. Looking at the Shadgard market I see hardly any carrots, and no blueberries at all. And none of any of those at New Emberlight. You can fit a whole lot of blueberries and carrots into a handcart for more efficient long-distance produce hauling and selling. All this said, it's probably time for some new crop seeds, too. But yeah, give some of the smaller crops a try and see if that helps reduce the feeling of being overwhelmed by trying to manage too many large-size crops.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
artus

Post by artus »

The big crops problem isn't really mine but what I've observed from people trying to plant insane amount of pumpkins in one field. I myself did it once thankfully when space wasn't a problem yet. While we're at that though, I would like to give a suggestion.

How about the idea of farm cart, a cart you can use to virtualize farm harvests in to sell? Would it lessen item space and make hauling 57 watermelons less of a pain? I don't know how it works, just putting it out there because it seems people have problem with crop selling all the time and handcart is the only thing we have to manage that, and we use handcart for something else to, not just it, which sometimes we can't because we have no where else other than floor litering which we can't do anywhere else anymore. Farm janitored it. inn rooms have no space for it. the only thing we can use is a handcart which takes almost all space we have in the vault, and one in stable if we ever have two, stuff like that. It may be less of an issue if we could virtualize item space on the server with something like a produce cart farm cart whatever cart you wanna call it, something of that sort.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

artus wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:44 pm The big crops problem isn't really mine but what I've observed from people trying to plant insane amount of pumpkins in one field. [...] How about the idea of farm cart, a cart you can use to virtualize farm harvests in to sell? Would it lessen item space and make hauling 57 watermelons less of a pain?
I think part of the farming "game" is learning what to plant, which things are easier to manage and which are more difficult, figuring out manageable limits and a variety that work for you, and stuff like that. I don't think I'd want it to get pared down to a system that allows simply planting the same crop type en masse and plunking harvests into a special container that bypasses normal capacity limits. Pumpkins and watermelons sell well, but they're more a hassle to haul from the farm and sell. It's part of an attempted balancing factor to avoid there being any one objectively-best crop for everyone.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
adresin

Post by adresin »

Aha! I didn't realize that change was made, so thank you for that. I try to keep up with in game announcements, but I'm terrible about actually keeping up on here. The mine space ones, that is. I'll let you know if I run into others.

I have been trying to sell more rather than keeping *everything*, but do like to have materials on hand for either skill or xp grinding, especially when I'm working and can't really rp anyway but can still know what's happening with my character, or for situations where someone needs something and I don't want to have to go mining, then smelting, to make what they need. Not to mention mass selling at the market. :)

It's easier with some crafts than others. As an example, iron. If I'm going to go all the way out to the iron mine, I want to get my effort's worth especially with how many barren stones I tend to end up with. And since you can't sell blooms, you have to make them into ingots first and I may not always have time to process everything at once. If I'm out of copper on the other hand, it doesn't take too long to snag a few copper rocks and process them.

I do realize adjustments to play style definitely need to be made. I guess I just don't want to see it go to so much an extreme that it's impractical to do much crafting. Now having said that, I do and have always respected and trusted you, so please understand this isn't me bitching and moaning. You make good points and I really do need to figure out which crafts I want to stick with. Crafting on here is just so fun! :) I would still like to see a single handcart allowed on a farm. No more than that should be needed if the idea is to avoid using farms primarily for storage, and that tells me I may eventually want to build a toolshed and get my one remaining crate out of there that's holding tools, seeds and the like. But moving any kind of bulk, go road, get this, go road, put in handcart over and over and over is mind numbing.

Also love the idea of changing construction that you mentioned. Saving all of that juggling, and groaning because you can't put down the planks you need to build that big building, would be wonderful!
deborah

Post by deborah »

Hello everyone,
As someone might have noticed, for us older characters, the transition from having ample space in the vault to store things to having almost nothing has been quite challenging. There are many items that won't be easy to find a place for.
For example, my Physicker has many handcarts, sleds, and workhorses, making it almost impossible to assign places for her goods. I'd like to propose the idea of vault rentals. Just like you can rent a farm and expand its size, you could also rent a vault space for a certain amount of riln per month.
Of course, this system wouldn't work in both locations, Shadgard and Mistral. To utilize such services, you'd need to choose a citizenship.
I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions on this matter.
artus

Post by artus »

The purpose of item limitation is to reduce that in the first place though, like having 5 cart technically means you can haul like 2k lbs worth of items, which, code wise, is a lot to clutter the server. That suggestion pretty much falls on the hoarder's side Rias tries to reduce rather than helping the server by any mean.
And tbh I personally don't understand why people need 4 carts anyway to begin with. It's not like you're gonna use them all or something, unless you're a massive hoarder which is what item limitation tries to address.
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

As I prepare for the inevitable eventuality of winter, it is occuring to me that making peat bundlable might reduce item bloat, if minutely. It would be neat if then one were able to seperate a single piece of peat and throw it into a fire with just one command, much like charcoal interacts with furnaces.
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
artus

Post by artus »

As so should bones, actually. We get like 8 or more of them from a corpse. Also, do grass bundle when they're not in the trough/shed? If I remember correctly, they're not. Bone plates from Fjelbeists too, I suppose, though I've never fought them so I don't know how much they load.
Something leftover branches or anything else may be tricky though. Bundled branches pretty much don't help one bit when you carve something and it generates a trillion leftover branches that can't be bundled after, cluttering the place in the process. Stone blocks too, perhaps, though they at least are one use and don't generate leftovers as often as branches and logs do.

That's my suggestions for bundleable stuff that may be worth considering.
Squeak

Post by Squeak »

Rias wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:36 am Per the changelog: If a character is currently renting a full inn room somewhere, other inns will now offer a budget inn room with only a bed, small dresser, and no floor storage space.

Having RECOVER work with armor stands is on the list!
Just in case anyone else comes across this, I've got it bugged.

There is a slight issue with renting inn rooms at the moment. If you already have a tiny room (I.e. The tiny rooms you can get in other cities with little storage) and your main room expires for whatever reason (mine being that I was testing something) one can no longer rent a "main" room. Inns will only offer you the discounted "tiny" rooms since you already, technically, have an inn room.