Rogue Ability Suggestions

Rangers, bards, treasure hunters, rogues - anyone with a love for the adventurous lifestyle beyond the town walls.
Frisbee

Re: Rogue Ability Suggestions

Post by Frisbee »

I really couldn't find a more relevant thread to post this, but thank you for the newest abilities and additions to existing ones. I am a fan of thinking that my character is observant enough to pick up on things about others, but not necessarily act on them, e.g. seeing that someone is carrying lots of riln, but not necessarily be encouraged to just steal everything. So that ability fit perfectly, conceptually.

Also might try knives again. Thank you.
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Something for Rogues, similar to Adjust Gear: Travel for rangers would be cool. My thought would be something for Rogues that lets them adjust the containers on someone (including sheathes) so that they impose a negative reroll to anyone trying to steal from or palm to the target. Bonus points if the Rogue doing the adjustment gets a chance (maybe a quick time event similar to their mid-combat pickpocket) to also pick the pockets of their target during the adjustment period, without incurring the penalty.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Tessa

Post by Tessa »

I've been doing a lot of thinking about rogue abilities. When I think rogue, I really tend to think of a few keywords, mainly drawn from my time reading books and some basic TTRPG. Words that come to mind are as follows: independence, rebellious, skill in combat, complex morality, resourcefulness, loyalty (if not to themselves, then to a small group that is independent of a government), and so much more. I believe that the rogue class has the makings of fulfilling these archetypes, but I also feel like we are lacking. Rogues are resourceful in locksmithing and treasure scaveging. I see their ability to be rebellious if they choose in their character's roleplay. Complex morality and loyalty come easy in pickpocketing, stealth, artifice.
I suppose what I'm struggling to come to grips with is feeling like my rogue can be independent and at least seem like she has some sort of combat skill. I'd like to think of, or share, a combat ability that can at least give them a slight edge in solo combat; maybe it could extend to a slight boost in group settings, much in the way of side-by-side or combat choreography. I'd love for my character to be more than just the locksmith who can swing a sword. I know the best way to give feedback is to also have an idea, but truly, I'm terrible at these. I've not played every class currently available in game, so I can't really speak to how everyone's combat style is. Perhaps an addition to dirtkick? I'm uncertain. I don't quite like playing my rogue as a cowardly sort; that's not Eirlys, she's too brash for that. So in turn, I don't pick up any of the dodge-related abilities. I feel like saying they're more likely to run away is untrue to the nature of a rogue.

I hope this makes sense and would welcome any conversation and ideas. <3
"The sea is emotion incarnate. It loves, hates, and weeps. It defies all attempts to capture it with words and rejects all shackles. No matter what you say about it, there is always that which you can't." — Christopher Paolini
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

I think a decent way to make Rogues feel like a more combat capable Treasure Hunter would follow:
Tactics: Rogue:
IC Description: All rogues are different, but one thing they all have in common is their keen eyes, and keener mind. Especially when it comes to keeping them self safe. A good sense for distance and the items or people in a room often allows them to keep out of reach of danger.

OOC Description: All weapons, including empty fists, have an extra +1 reach.
[+5 can go to +6, yes.]
Armor Hindrance Reductions:
Light: 10%
Medium: 10%
Heavy: 10%
Also, give them Tumble (they don't really need Flip), Combat Mobility, Combat Readiness, and maybe something like Trip, as a refactored artifice based Sweep.

I liked Saladbowls' ideas here. Particularly where he talks about opting into a more combat focused version of Artifice, instead of stealing and trickery. Worth considering.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Double post. There's lots of fun suggestions hidden all over the BBS, but this one came up in particular.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.