Shadgard smithy to build steam crusher (and the new DONATE command)

A mining settlement and haven for freedom-seeking exiles, recently beginning to embrace gas and steam technologies.
Rias
DEV

Shadgard smithy to build steam crusher (and the new DONATE command)

Post by Rias »

Rumors are flying around Shadgard about Tor, owner of the local smithy, and Fahima, one of the Lost Lands' most accomplished engineers, working on a project to add a steam-powered crusher to the smithy for aid in crushing ore-bearing stone. While the engineer herself will be handling the intricate designing and machinery building, donations are opened for local smiths to help provide copper pipes, pipe fittings of all types, and plug-valves to help get the smithy hooked up to Shadgard's steam network. Donations can be made at Tor's smithy workyard.

Further rumors suggest that these efforts may mark the start of improvements to Shadgard's more advanced infrastructure.

==========

Our first project to try out the new DONATE command! Any metalworkers out there, now's your chance to say you contributed to a nifty upgrade to the smithy.

When using the DONATE command in a room flagged for donations (look for "donate" next to the room name), you'll get a list of the item types it's possible to donate. The "need" of each item will be either High or Low. High means the project does not have enough to be completed. Low means the project has enough of that particular item type, but people who may have produced items to donate but didn't get around to actually donating until after the need was already met can still donate and get in on any credit for contributions.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Re: Shadgard smithy to build steam crusher (and the new DONATE command)

Post by Rias »

All the materials required have been donated! While Fahima works on building the steam crusher itself, several steam conduit build sites have been set up from Tor's workyard to the south end of the canyon where they will eventually be hooked into to the existing network of the nearby Steamworks above.

Anyone with skill in Construction is welcome to donate some of their time and effort putting the steam pipe conduits together. It's simple but long and tiring work. A pipe-wrench will be required to do the work, which metalworkers can provide thanks to a newly-available recipe.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Re: Shadgard smithy to build steam crusher (and the new DONATE command)

Post by Rias »

The steam crusher has been completed and hooked to the steam conduits generously provided for and built by locals! The crusher is free for anyone to use. Simply PUT some ore-bearing stone into the crusher, then PULL the crusher to pull the built-in lever and activate the machine. Powder will be strained through an automatically-opening grating to fall through to the floor below for collection, in order to enable convenient rapid loading of new stone chunks when previous ones are crushed.

Take a LOOK at the crusher to see the gauge denoting the current level of steam pressure. The more pressure, the more crushing power - so lower levels of steam pressure might require multiple pulls of the lever to completely crush the stone into powder. And of course, if the pressure is too low, the machine won't operate at all until pressure has built up again. Steam pressure will build up quite quickly when the machine is not in use.

And of course, READ the crusher to see the inscription including the names of all who donated time, effort, and components to this project.

==========

This has been a fun little community project, and I'm really excited to have a new steam-related technology going in Shadgard. It really contributes to the far-too-long-delayed feel I had intended for Shadgard from way back when I was still dreaming up ideas for making my own MUD. The acronym CLOK for the original game was chosen because I was hoping to get a low clockwork/steampunk vibe going. That never really happened in CLOK, so I'm thrilled to see it finally happening in COGG. Huzzah! Thanks to everyone who contributed to the community aspect of the project, and who showed general interest in supporting this facet of Shadgard's feel that was never really realized until recently.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO