Riln Sinks

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
nobody

Re: Riln Sinks

Post by nobody »

Weapons test dummies. They get destroyed really quickly, but you can get decent weapon damage data out of them along the way. Plus, great stress relief! If you could dress them up in armor to test against armored foes, so the armor wears out and the weapon wears out faster, even better!
nobody

Post by nobody »

Company vaults as a monthly rental would be a cool riln sink.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

The invasion of the goo! A mad sorcerer's creations have unleashed on the world and violence can't solve all our problems. Weapons are ineffective!

A merchant is set up that can sell you 'liquid silver', and bottled liquid silver, a coating that is used when hitting the goo monster to dispel it. You can also chuck bottles of the stuff at them.

Collect the remains to turn in for event themed items.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
Talyn

Post by Talyn »

Alchemical Draughts :
Something you could drink that could help heal bruises (Nothing bleeding and slow like Vitality)
Something that makes you faster you lose a few seconds off your RT but it eats through your Nutrition much quicker like a very fast metabolism.
Something that can act like a weaker(very very weaker) version of Reflection therapy to help bucket drain.

*Edit* sorry want to add here that the RT should not work in Combat, this would be more something like crafting and such

This one is kind of a interesting thought I had on VC a while ago. It would be change how cleaning clothing works but a Laundry room added to the bathhouse. I know there are people out there who would ignore this or even want to clean their own clothing. After a week IRL your clothes start to smell and the only way to clean them is via laundry room, you trade them in and after 24 hours can retrieve them. I know this sounds harsh and hardcore but this promotes a few riln sinks, payment for laundry, buying clothing to change out, and so on. Sure people just buy brushes and brush out the blood from their clothing but it's not the same as freshly done Laundry!

Few other ideas coming just need to have more time writing them up.
I'm Not Accepting Surrenders At This Time. I Want You To Know Failure, Utter Defeat, And That It Is I Who Delivers It Crashing Down Upon You.
-NotRias
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

There are some cool suggestions in here, that I would definitely like to see. I have a few things in mind, as well, and I apologise if any of them got suggested previously. I triede to read every post but I might have missed or forgotten about something along the way.

Anyway. Firstly, I think it would be cool to have ink as well as charcoal and the like as an option to write something down. When you read a letter or something, it could tell you that this is written in ink of so and so colour. You would probably need a quill to use it, and I imagine it would cost a fair old bit more than ten riln. Would be interesting to see if people attempt to use it sparingly, seeing as it will be more expensive. On a similar vain, how about wax seals? And then get a merchant to customise them. Make use of your beeswax that you have been selling for literal change up until now, while at the same time dishing out a good amount of riln for a nice seal, so people know the letter they're reading was definitely from you.

Also. It would be neat if we could get drawing materials. Maybe canvas and paint, or crayons. There could be an NPC artist who can draw something up for you, or players could just buy the materials and do it themselves. I'm thinking this will be particularly useful to those wanting to improve the aesthetic of their rooms, particularly when player housing becomes a thing.

Lastly, how about pocket watches, or clocks? I know more than one people who would die to get their hands on one, just to show off how wealthy and fancy they are. And it would be a nice way to look at the time without essentially having to use a completely OOC command.
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Reyhan

Post by Reyhan »

Long distance delivery tasks seem like they pay out too well for how easy they are. Cost of food is a consideration and they don't teach skills, but I think the payouts could be decreased by maybe 200 and they would be much more in line with other jobs. They could possibly even have a longer cooldown. Document copying for the Library also pays too well, and it does teach skills and can generally be run concurrently with deliveries, which cuts food costs and maximizes earnings.

Storebought bandages could be a little pricier, which might incentivize people to craft them instead.

You mentioned housing in the OP, but don't underestimate how much people are willing to pay for what is essentially an inn room that calls itself an apartment, especially if these can be furnished. As long as there's no risk of losing it permanently if you let rent slip, a lot of people would certainly pay through the nose to have a little parlor to privately entertain guests in, or a home with a kitchen or a hot bath.

Ingredients could be introduced for existing crafts which must be bought in stores. Mineral spirits for unguent, yeast for bread, flux for steel, you name it. These would essentially just nickel and dime people over time.

You could also go through all the unclaimed crystal colors and make the cool-sounding ones way more expensive. Raising the cost on crystals would probably be fine, too, or even just making the crystals stay good forever but the network require a 1000/week rent or something.

Storebought foods which are sub-200 silver could probably be made slightly unpleasant or have their shelf life reduced. If something like storebought bread is filling an important niche, it could be made a bit more expensive.

Shoes could wear out over time, I'm talking after 100+ steps in the wilderness. Bad/no shoes could slow wilderness travel times, Hillfolk could dodge this penalty. Leatherworkers could do the repair, but for people in a hurry the NPC cobblers could do it for a fee.

Male characters could have beards that grow and require maintenance at a barbershop (with pricey tools and soaps to do it yourself if you want) in addition to the makeup system which I'm sure both men and women would be into. Gender-neutral characters could pick their beard status at chargen. Rangers could all look like Robin Williams in Jumanji.

Some of these might sound excessive or even punitive. I'm sure my numbers aren't great. The objective is not to punish or inconvenience anyone, I just think that people having less might incentivize them to cooperate more. I have not been playing long and there is a lot of the game I haven't seen, but overall it seems like it's very easy to get a lot of money quickly, which might eventually make it hard for crafters to feel like they're operating a little business in the game.
Reyhan

Post by Reyhan »

And while I'm ruining the game:

Markets should probably stop buying cooked consumables, or should pay much, much less for them. Not only is there a ridiculous meat surplus most of the time, it winds up just being generally a lot of free money when that wouldn't make much sense. I kind of want to say stuff like uncooked fish should be OK just because it doesn't have the same issues.

Skill training should cost money. Potentially a lot of money, scaling by skill level so it isn't punishing for newbies but Joe 600 Melee is not getting a free or even a comfortably affordable ride. Ditto for abilities.
Staz

Post by Staz »

I'm not crazy about the suggestions for how to pay people less at market, I have kind of a hard time making money while roleplaying the character I want to play.

One idea I have is to have paid assistants or apprentice NPCs. You pay them weekly wages and supply all of their tools and materials in order for them to assist you in various professional tasks. Having one work on a task with you would reduce the number of steps needed based on the quality of tools provided and the expertise of the apprentice/assistant.

You could have the option to hire them at varying levels of expertise in varying skills, and randomize the hirelings available each week to incentivize people to keep paying if they find a good one they aren't using as often. And of course, the ones capable of helping with fine quality goods would be more expensive.

You could also give them varying amounts of daily stamina, so if you cheap out your assistant will only help you for an hour or two per day.

In a similar vein, let's have a sorcerer vendor who sells the equivalent of quivering bowstrings, but for tools. Magical items that get work done faster and give a small boost to your skill level in related professions, but break after a very short amount of time. Even if you make them ludicrously expensive, people will still want the convenience.

Edit to add:

Speaking of apprentices, why not offer some quests that cost money but benefit the player in another way? I was thinking that when you reach 400 in a skill, an NPC related to that skill might offer you the chance to train an apprentice for a limited period of time. For example, if you reach level 400 melee combat, the barracks will let you mentor a new recruit.

Apprentices/students would need their own inn room to sleep in, food, and tools/armor/equipment. You would need to engage in a certain amount of practice in the relevant skill with them accompanying you before they are sufficiently trained. Unfortunately, they're complete amateurs, so asking them to help with tasks might make things harder. This prevents them from being too similar to hirelings.

At the end of the training period, the player is rewarded with a decent chunk of exp and a powerful but temporary piece of gear related to the skill that was mentored. So for example, a Woodcutter of sufficient skill might be greeted at the Sawmill by a lumber worker asking if he can train her little brother.

A few cut trees later, he returns his apprentice to the Sawmill and receives a bunch of EXP and permission to borrow an Exquisite-quality logging axe for a week.

If you get your apprentice "killed" they will run away home like horses do and you'll have to wait to do the quest in that location. You can speed this up by paying their Physicker bills, adding another cost to the equation.
Reyhan

Post by Reyhan »

I'm not crazy about the suggestions for how to pay people less at market, I have kind of a hard time making money while roleplaying the character I want to play.
I could definitely believe that a player who was just trying to gather/craft and work the market to make money might see way less profit than I am, which feels off. Why is a delivery girl with no skills living more comfortably than a dedicated tradesperson? I also find it a little disappointing that my class skills (Physicker) are not really monetizable among the playerbase. I can charge a couple hundred for therapy a few times a day or tag along on a hunting trip and that's great for RP, but at any given time in my experience so far I'd probably make more money just doing automated labor. It is 99% safe, requires no skill or gear investment, cannot fail, and I can do it without relying on anyone for anything. I have made kind of a crazy amount of money doing it so far and I'm not even trying to, I just want the EXP so I can get skills and abilities to mess with.

Economy's not everything and people will definitely play the game just to play it, but if money was a little tighter it would drive a lot more organic interaction.

edit: Thinking more on this, putting diminishing returns that reset daily on tasks might be the way to go.
Wish

Post by Wish »

Various scented candles for ambiance!

a gambling den with various games.

hair services for horses. You can end up with braided manes and tails, or flowers woven into manes- the hairstyles 'fall out' after a certain amount of time.