Stump removal

A place where new features are announced and discussed. (Feature suggestions go in the suggestions topic.)
Dennis

Re: Stump removal

Post by Dennis »

Just wanted to share some feedback from testing, it seems that quantity of players doesn't seem to be giving any benefit/any significant quantifiable benefit to the pulling activity.

Testing 1 workhorse with 3 people pulling (2 with constitution) took 5 attempts to uproot 1 large tree
Testing 1 workhorse with 3 people pulling (1 with constitution) takes 5 attempts to uproot 1 large tree
Testing 1 workhorse with 1 person pulling takes 5 attempts to uproot 1 large tree

Testing 1 workhorse with 3 people pulling (2 with constitution) took 2 attempts to uproot 1 small tree
Testing 1 workhrose with 1 person pulling took 2 attempts to uproot 1 small tree

Is it that we didn't have a significant amount of human bodies to impact the pulling or is there a bug in calculating the contribution of bodies? Anyway that's my feedback. Thanks to Nobody for donating his workhorse and time to the testing!
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

The workhorse was likely overshadowing the human effort, they're crazy strong. Still, I'll take a look at the numbers and see if I can give the puny humans a little more to show for their efforts.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Thinking about it, I may make it more roll-based than just flat thresholds, so adding more people will always be beneficial in increasing your roll attempts. Instead of something silly like "If we can't get 5 people there's no point in any more than 1 person working at it because any less than 5 won't meet the threshold to make a difference in overall number of pulls".

One of these days I'll learn that flat thresholds are bad.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
nobody

Post by nobody »

Dennis wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:05 pm Just wanted to share some feedback from testing, it seems that quantity of players doesn't seem to be giving any benefit/any significant quantifiable benefit to the pulling activity.

Testing 1 workhorse with 3 people pulling (2 with constitution) took 5 attempts to uproot 1 large tree
Testing 1 workhorse with 3 people pulling (1 with constitution) takes 5 attempts to uproot 1 large tree
Testing 1 workhorse with 1 person pulling takes 5 attempts to uproot 1 large tree

Testing 1 workhorse with 3 people pulling (2 with constitution) took 2 attempts to uproot 1 small tree
Testing 1 workhrose with 1 person pulling took 2 attempts to uproot 1 small tree

Is it that we didn't have a significant amount of human bodies to impact the pulling or is there a bug in calculating the contribution of bodies? Anyway that's my feedback. Thanks to Nobody for donating his workhorse and time to the testing!
I think it was 6 when I tried with a workhorse and myself, rather than 5. That being said...
Rias wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:06 am
Dennis wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:05 am You mentioned "multiple mounts" but in a recent test, my mule didn't help out when someone was having their workhorse pull the stump (or at least it didn't reflect that it was assisting in any way). Are secondary mounts in the group supposed to be assisting the primary?
Sorry, I meant multiple people, plus the mount used by the person initiating the process. I could make multiple mounts possible, but then I'd be a little sad at someone just bringing a bunch of mounts and uprooting stumps solo (player-wise), instead of getting a group of actual player characters together to help and making it a more of a social thing.
Rias wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:20 pm The workhorse was likely overshadowing the human effort, they're crazy strong. Still, I'll take a look at the numbers and see if I can give the puny humans a little more to show for their efforts.
Probably good that multiple mounts cannot aid or someone with two or more workhorses would overshadow most of the teams we could get together even on the best of days.
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

I get the no multiple mounts thing from a teamwork perspective, but it's not really unheard of for people to use a team of horses to get this kind of job done. Then again, this isn't real life. I'm just saying, I think eventually it would be nice if you could have more than one workhorse used on certain things to make it easier/faster/less energy - hauling wagons, pulling stumps, tilling fields etc. Though as-is, a single person with a workhorse can do a stump-pull fairly easily. So no real complaints aside from dashing my "team of work horses with polished harnesses and braided mains and tails" dreams.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

We'll get that luxury team-pulled carriage riln sink thing going one of these days.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

Excellent :)