Lost Lands to become more dangerous

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Karjus

Re: Lost Lands to become more dangerous

Post by Karjus »

Jilliana wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:59 pm Rias mentioned buffing up societies, and I am all for this. One of the ones a character of mine is a part of is looking bare and sad. Not only on the location front, but the activity front. I have been struggling to find some direction for this combat character, and tasks do a lot to alleviate this, at least for me.
Considering societies as a whole are only just newly released, and they're not even codified for a lot of people, I'd try and embrace the roleplay of it and enjoy that aspect. They're not there to be an alternative path of progression.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

I went to play the game after this change got implemented with a rather negative mindset. A couple of days have passed, and I've got to say, I am *loving* it, so far. There are a few reasons why.

First, I'm grateful that the possibility of constantly getting murdered on the road by extremely skilled mobs, as a mostly non-violent PC, is essentially non-existent. I appreciate the threat is always present, but I'm glad I don't need to be an elite fighter to face it down, most times, and even more glad I can run if I want to.

On the other hand, I can imagine patrolls being organised just to clear an area, and guards being hired because of much more concrete possibilities for something to happen, and that seems such a good opportunity for meaningful RP. Of course this is not a lore uppdate and all, but up to now there have been comparatively few cases in which these dangers mattered, very few events to establish roleplay motives for someone to fight for a certain cause, outside of backstory reasons and specific area storylines. in a game which revolves around humanity banding together and standing its ground against all the horrors of the world, I should think this is such a welcome change in atmosphere. Plus, the prospect or aftermath of random encounters could make for a decent talking point about town.

I'm getting more and more aware that I'm rambling about the obvious as I'm writing this, but all this is to say that I extremely appreciate the change and the thought behind it. Keep up the excellent work.
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Jilliana

Post by Jilliana »

Karjus wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:55 am
Jilliana wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:59 pm Rias mentioned buffing up societies, and I am all for this. One of the ones a character of mine is a part of is looking bare and sad. Not only on the location front, but the activity front. I have been struggling to find some direction for this combat character, and tasks do a lot to alleviate this, at least for me.
Considering societies as a whole are only just newly released, and they're not even codified for a lot of people, I'd try and embrace the roleplay of it and enjoy that aspect. They're not there to be an alternative path of progression.
As much as I understand where you're coming from, I'm not a fan of the tone.

For a combat character, it can be difficult to gage which areas are in or out of her range, particularly in the first 100-200 skill range. I simply appreciate that tasks make determining this a lot easier, and help me along with my roleplay.

In another point entirely, I have noticed that players in game are calling the new happnings on the roads as "new".

I've tried to explain IC that this has been happening for ages and maybe they just now noticed how bad it is out there, and so on, but folks just keep on talking about how new and annoying it is over ESP.
(Rias says, "Happiness is accepting your past as part of who you are.")
Navi

Post by Navi »

I do recall that in CLOK the task system generally pointed you towards locations where you could find an equal challenge. It sounds like that's what you're looking for here. This could be achieved by speaking with other well-versed warriors. Such an approach not only grants you the information you seek, but also generates RP for both you and those characters who have come before you. Just a suggestion until tasks are put in for societies. It's worth noting though, that just because you're given the name of a place to go to in a task, won't mean you'll get directions. Some character interaction may still be encouraged.
As a side note, if you're generally cautious when entering a new area, you should be fine. The peer command is very helpful. Hostile NPCs usually take a moment before their attacks kick in. If you're quick, it's enough time to use the consider command and tactfully retreat.
HTH
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Candelori

Post by Candelori »

I was ambushed by a skeleton on my way to sit around a campfire with a friend and enjoy some boiled corn. It was an utter delight.
My COGG website: https://candelori.neocities.org
You think to yourself, "I am tempted to henceforth refer to this as the Bicker Board."
You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Rias wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:09 pm decreased the chances for additional encounters during the cooldown period.
This is much appreciated. The encounter rate was really the only issue I've had so far, for a system I otherwise think is pretty neat.

It's my understanding that Random Encounters only trigger when moving in the Wilderness though. It'd be nice if doing things in wilderness rooms that would possibly draw attention also had a chance to trigger this, too. Hunting, logging, and fishing all come to mind as examples that could all have a chance to generate an encounter (with a beast, or perhaps even one of those irksome Liberi, Canim, bandits, or Dunwyr, if skill and area appropriate). I'd probably make it a bit lower than just wandering around though.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
merin

Post by merin »

I've gotten pretty darn good at exterminating rotting raven packs and squirrel hords I'll tell you what! Awesome system. I wish there were more encounters other than "attack!"