Item bundling

A place where new features are announced and discussed. (Feature suggestions go in the suggestions topic.)
Rias
DEV

Item bundling

Post by Rias » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:13 am

I'm pushing some changes live that will implement item bundling. This will go a long way to handling the clutter problem, as it will allow for identical items to be merged into a single item with a quantity counter, rather than tracking each item individually. It might be a little finicky at first.

Bundled items will show as, for example, (bundled:5) instead of (x5). Crafting, selling, burning fuel, etc. should all handle bundles just like regular items.

Bundle-able items placed on the ground or in a container will automatically bundle together with others if possible. Wen you GET a bundle of items, you get the entire bundle at once and hold it all in hand. If you're holding two bundle-able items (or two bundles) in each hand, use the BUNDLE command to combine them. The SPLIT command can be used to split a desired number off a bundle into a second bundle (or single item, if you SPLIT 1).

I've tried to consider every case, but there may be some issues where an entire "stack" of items is used up instead of just decrementing it by one. If this happens, please don't panic. Use the BUG command to report it and I'll handle it, including item replacement.

I'm going to start off by applying this to only some of the most populous item types, namely cloth, thread, and branches.
An assistant introduces a lanky brooding-eyed woman with tan skin to you as Karen and assigns you to treat her wounds.
>tend karen
You try to tend to Karen, but she is too hysterical to accept treatment!

nobody

Re: Item bundling

Post by nobody » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:44 am

Could I request this for forage-able food items. I have so, so many berries.

Rias
DEV

Re: Item bundling

Post by Rias » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:38 am

nobody wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:44 am
Could I request this for forage-able food items. I have so, so many berries.
Food items aren't bundle-able because each individual one has to keep track of its number of bites and its freshness. Not to say it isn't possible with an update at some future point, it just won't work with the current implementation.
An assistant introduces a lanky brooding-eyed woman with tan skin to you as Karen and assigns you to treat her wounds.
>tend karen
You try to tend to Karen, but she is too hysterical to accept treatment!