Druidry Rituals

Communion with primal forces associated with animals, plants, and the very world itself.
Lexx416

Re: Druidry Rituals

Post by Lexx416 »

Probably not something that's, strictly speaking, super useful, but an ability that makes trees in an area resistant to logging, making them tougher to cut down would be pretty neat for those that want to tend and protect areas.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
tulpa

Post by tulpa »

I'm not sure how this would be implemented, but I've been thinking about a will-o-the-wisp "familiar" that could draw prospective opponents within a combat area to the druid's location, or draw them away, perhaps by toggling a combat stance for it.

EDIT: Thinking about it more, it would make sense for swamp/marshes in particular (unless it was a generic but similar kind of primal spirit), and there would be a sanity drain eventually increasing to unmanageable levels as the will-o'-the-wisp remained in effect.

yet another edit: Perhaps it could also/otherwise be used to blaze a temporary trail through the wilderness, with a less severe drain on sanity but relatively short duration.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

tulpa wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:49 am I'm not sure how this would be implemented, but I've been thinking about a will-o-the-wisp "familiar" that could draw prospective opponents within a combat area to the druid's location, or draw them away, perhaps by toggling a combat stance for it.

EDIT: Thinking about it more, it would make sense for swamp/marshes in particular (unless it was a generic but similar kind of primal spirit), and there would be a sanity drain eventually increasing to unmanageable levels as the will-o'-the-wisp remained in effect.

yet another edit: Perhaps it could also/otherwise be used to blaze a temporary trail through the wilderness, with a less severe drain on sanity but relatively short duration.
I absolutely love this idea, and I've been trying to think of some good suggestions for it. I love the idea of a will-o-wisp "pet" like that being potentially a detriment to anyone NOT in a Druid's group. I think in terms of what the Will-o-Wisp pet should do is a big harder to nail down exactly, but I love the idea of them inducing a little bit of RT as they distract people, float around people's heads, or forces people to target someone other than the Druid when performing actions like stealing or attacking or casting an ability (even a beneficial one).

Additional ritual idea: a way to deal with disease! I don't think Druids should get the ability to CURE diseases, so that physickers don't get their toes stepped on too much. But I think it would be great if there was an ability to let a druid transfer a disease they currently have onto another target - animals only, or other Druids. I think this should be a one way street, Druid to Target, except for Primalists. I think Primalists, at 400 Druidry, should be able to transfer diseases between targets (including themselves), as well as be able to transfer diseases AWAY from non-druids, but not INTO them.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Lexx416 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:35 am
nobody wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:32 am
Lexx416 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:56 pm Beast Speech
He has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends.
If this ability is just being able to commune with beasts, perhaps what it'd do most of all is boost mount morale. However, if it is instead (as I'd guess based on the effect suggestions) a more powerful version of the druidry raw cast (or just an imposing of your will on the beasts in general) I could see any of those as fitting effects. I'll also throw in a suggestion for a bird companion ability: expanding the compass view in the wilderness/ignoring obscuring terrain effects in adjacent terrain only (so in dense forest you'd see an extra tile of dense forest around, and next to a hill you'd see past the hill, but if the obscuring effect is fog you'd not see any more than usual), though I don't like that it'd basically do nothing for our VI players.
Honestly, I just thought it was fun to add a kind of flavor text to it with the italics, since this idea was more of a "it'd be cool if we had an ability that was themed this way" suggestion, with some general ideas I had for it.

I had a similar thought for the bird, but because it wouldn't have impacted VI players, that's why I didn't include it. The other neat thing for a "bird companion" type ability I thought would to be able to send messages with them to folks you have remembered. Just bits of paper tied to their leg, that kind of thing
Updated idea to add to my Beast Speech suggestion - it'd be cool if something like this let us gauge the morale of animal-based NPCs (and maybe even other Druids) when looking at them. Probably not numerical specifics, but more descriptive things.

I'd go on to suggest that it'd be neat if there was some kind of way for farmers to interact with the morale of livestock as well (with some sort of boon for keeping their animal's morale up, such as a chance to get more product, or maybe a chance to get a higher quality material out of them, something like that).
Agelity

Post by Agelity »

This idea came about as a discussion during the VC last night, or at least the "bonus effect" portion, but I wanted to try and tie it into another idea I've pitched before:
Fungal Armor
=========

IC description: You see a brief vision of yourself, fungus beginning to grow out from your pores and covering your skin.
OOC description: (Become covered in hardened fungus that gives a small bonus to damage reduction, but obscures part of the vision and causes great mental strain. Parts of the armor can be destroyed if they take enough damage.)
Usage: cast armor or cast 610
Roundtime: 5
Energy usage: -100
Cooldown timer: 120
Prerequisite Abilities:
Druidic Bond
Duration Factors:
Base: 600
== Skills ==
Druidry: 3/rank
== Attributes ==
Constitution: +10%
Willpower: +25%
== Affinities ==
Shapechanging: 50/rank

Bonus Effects
"Decompose"
Class: Primalist
Skill required: Druidry: 400
Usage: cast decompose
Description: The druid can utilize the fungal growth on their body to absorb energy from the deceased and cause the bodies to rapidly decompose. This restores some extra energy and nutrition to the druid in question, and restore broken parts of the fungal armor.
As long as I do love the idea of barkskin for druidic types, I feel like having something a little more unconventional fit COGG more, and having natural armor made of fungus is certainly one way to do it. Calling upon the influences of Teonanacatl, a druid is able to give themselves the equivalent of some light armor for the duration, but in doing so does cause armor encumbrance to go up (to some equivalent level of light armor) along with reducing some amount of visibility. Because of the thickness of the fungus, it does cause interference with other armor and requires removing other armor prior to use (no stacking armor), or risk having the armor fall/break off.

In addition, due to the unusual nature of fungus as a lifeform, the mental strain is a little more heavy compared to other shape-shifting abilities, especially the more the ability is used. While not actually a resen originated ability, some may have a hard time telling the difference if they were to see you, so some caution is advised when using it.

For the primalists in particular, being so tuned into the natural world and having a bit more mental fortitude to handle the enigma that are fungi, they can find themselves with the ability to absorb nutrients and such from the corpses of the deceased, perhaps as an alternative method of burial. It's creepy, it's weird, but it's also cool as heck, and can really give primalists a little extra flavor that they sorely lack in comparison to other druids at the moment. Who knows, perhaps it can also in turn cause fungus in the area to potentially grow if it's used enough, as Teonanacatl's influence continues to spread intentionally or otherwise...
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Agelity wrote: Who knows, perhaps it can also in turn cause fungus in the area to potentially grow if it's used enough, as Teonanacatl's influence continues to spread intentionally or otherwise...
This is a super cool idea! I hope people would be careful where they use the secondary ability, though...
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Vermin Swarm

This wouldn't have to only call vermin, but my general thought was an ability that called up any available, local, non-lethal but still frustrating to deal with wildlife onto a target. May still work in cities (rat swarms!) to a lesser effect, but should definitely have both a cool-down to prevent spamming, and a chance at failure based on your Druidry skill (rolls against a hidden target number to see if it works; higher endroll = better effects).

Specifically, I was thinking this would direct a swarm of local small things to aggravate/attack a target in cycles, for a duration dependent on the Druidry skill. Exact swarm (and effects) are based on the local environs (with better results based off of a hidden roll, as mentioned above). For the duration of the ability, the target is occasionally beset by aggravating pests that act cyclically; so every 5-10 seconds whatever vermin swarm is conjured assaults the target, until the effect ends on the target (or they flee a sufficient distance away; maybe if they leave the area associated with the room).
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Riches of the Earth

There's probably a better name for this, but essentially an ability that acts as a "mining" version of Growth, designed to reach out to the surroundings (the room you're in) and to forcibly accrete more minerals (metals and gems) in the surrounding stone. This would cause a room to be more "rich" in terms of mining output, but should have a chance to cause cave-ins and tremors as the strange, occult forces are used to bend the land to the will of the druid. I would also have it so that attempting to cast this too frequently in the same room causes some kind of mental backlash on the druid.

Would maybe have this be Primalist Only, to really outline their specialty of mastering the primal forces.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

I don't have a fancy format for this one because it's more throwing spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks.

I think it'd be neat if Primalists had an ability (either as a Primalist Only bonus to Tangleroot when that gets released, or as a separate Primalist Only ability that requires Tangleroot as a requisite ability) to be able to grow vines up a cliff (with a pretty short duration, maybe maxed at 5 minutes or so) to reduce the difficulty of a climb check - not as easy as climbing a rope, but giving Primalists a little boost and rewarding the ones that invest in climb.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

It'd be great if having the Bioluminescence effect active gave you a bonus to catching bugs (as well as foraging for them if we ever get such a thing)!