Ranger ability: Trailblazing

Rangers, bards, treasure hunters, rogues - anyone with a love for the adventurous lifestyle beyond the town walls.
Rias
DEV

Ranger ability: Trailblazing

Post by Rias »

Rangers can now learn the Trailblazing ability, allowing them to establish trails through wilderness areas that reduce traveltime for all.

For more info, see the help article here on the wiki or type HELP TRAILBLAZING in-game.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Re: Ranger ability: Trailblazing

Post by Rias »

P.S. There's a limit of two trail directions per room. This is because I really don't want to see an extensive grid of trails spiderwebbing the entire wilderness, so tweaks may be made as we see how things unfold.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

I know trail degradation isn't in yet, but when it gets put in (or maybe before!), the use of the Growth ability should probably do a fair amount of damage to any trails in the room.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

It'd be nice if there was a ranger-only item called a "trail marker" that could be set up in a trailblazed room to mark it as a "road" for the purposes of stacking the travel command!
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Lexx416 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:38 pm It'd be nice if there was a ranger-only item called a "trail marker" that could be set up in a trailblazed room to mark it as a "road" for the purposes of stacking the travel command!
I like this idea as a thing where only the person who placed the marker can utilize it. Not only is it cool that the Ranger is the only one who catches their little arcane (as in vague/obscure, not as in occult) marker, but also it won't mess up travel for other people.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Rias wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:57 pm
Lexx416 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:38 pm It'd be nice if there was a ranger-only item called a "trail marker" that could be set up in a trailblazed room to mark it as a "road" for the purposes of stacking the travel command!
I like this idea as a thing where only the person who placed the marker can utilize it. Not only is it cool that the Ranger is the only one who catches their little arcane (as in vague/obscure, not as in occult) marker, but also it won't mess up travel for other people.
I would ALSO be okay with this :) Mostly, I was just thinking that if I took the time to connect a trail to a road, I may (or may not) want to be able to auto-travel along it, but this would be a good solution too!
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

On the subejct of Trailblazing, I really need to figure out why trails aren't becoming overgrown and fading without any maintenance. Unless some dutiful ranger is out there quietly doing unsung hero-work.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

A quick QOL suggestion - it'd be nice to get progress notifications while trailblazing! Something like "You are a quarter of the way done", "You are half of the way done," and "You are nearly fully done" at each of the two stages of trail (rudimentary and fully done).

Secondly, the helpfile for Trailblazing suggests that Bushcraft helps improve it - is that true, and if so in what way?
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

With the new hostile encounters (which I love), I think there runs the risk of trails not being worth maintaining once proper trail degradation and maintenance is coded in. It'd be nice if trails either reduced risk of encounters, or maybe skewed the encounters towards beasts over humanoid encounters.