Yarn and thread merged into a single resource type (thread)

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Rias
DEV

Yarn and thread merged into a single resource type (thread)

Post by Rias »

The split between yarn and thread has long been the source of resource woes, making it so those precious tufts and bolls could only be used for one type of craft or another. Per the changelog:

- Crafts that previously required yarn will now use thread instead. Yarn can no longer be produced, and any remaining yarn in the game will function as thread.

This means that instead of having to make/track/differentiate between two types of ... string? ... we can just call it all thread and get to our crafting. No more frustration over the market having thread but not yarn, or yarn but not thread. It should make things nicer all around!

To be clear: No recipes or crafting options have been removed. Everything that used to require yarn now can be made with thread instead, and they will still show up as yarn in their final forms. Any yarn in the game previous to this change will now be considered thread, so it's still useful for what it was before - no resource loss for anyone who had yarn saved up. The two have just been merged so there's no more fuss over two different types of resource.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Maina

Re: Yarn and thread merged into a single resource type (thread)

Post by Maina »

I can definitely see a lot of benefit here.

I do have a minor request: yarn was worth over two and a half times what thread is (24 vs 9 for rimeveil). It is sometimes hard to get people to sell thread to the market place due to how little it is worth.

Could we maybe have a minor bump in thread value? Maybe a 25% boost (so rimeveil sells for 12 instead of 9, for example), which should be low enough that making cloth isn't taking a loss (rimeveil cloth was 37/each last I checked)? It is roughly half of what yarn used to be at that price point, but still a little higher than it was.

Still, having less resources to track is a good thing, and it'll make it easier to stock supplies for new tailors who do not have a farm of their own. I appreciate the change.
Teri

Post by Teri »

Yay this update. It will feel a lot less conflicting not having to choose between yarn or thread while spinning.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

Slightly worried about more frequent market flooding, but definitely a good change otherwise! Thanks!
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
adresin

Post by adresin »

As high demand as thread is, I don't expect flooding to be much of a problem. If it is it shouldn't last very long.
Thank you Rias!
sapphire

Post by sapphire »

I am honestly quite angry because this will really break Roleplay in my opinion. It made sense to have yarn for knitting, because knitting is yarn, but sewing is thread. People have in correctly assumed my character tailors too when they've seen her knitting, and she is like oh no I knit for fun and relaxation. Now if people see thread they will be like why can't you tailor! I normally don't get angry at changes but this one really doesn't sit well with me, and honestly makes me feel like a huge part of my Roleplay has been broken.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

sapphire wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:00 pm I am honestly quite angry because this will really break Roleplay in my opinion. It made sense to have yarn for knitting, because knitting is yarn, but sewing is thread. People have in correctly assumed my character tailors too when they've seen her knitting, and she is like oh no I knit for fun and relaxation. Now if people see thread they will be like why can't you tailor! I normally don't get angry at changes but this one really doesn't sit well with me, and honestly makes me feel like a huge part of my Roleplay has been broken.
I mean, I get it. But tell them to mind off. Really. If someone's going to ask you something like that, which they wouldn't do in real life, because that's silly, they're playing a game about skills instead of about telling a story about characters.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
artus

Post by artus »

Honestly speaking, I've never seen anyone do that, assuming weavers tailor too and such, because the method and commands aren't even the same anyway. Most people can tell.
Firerose

Post by Firerose »

I have to admit, it really breaks things for me as well. Everyone knows you don't knit thread. You weave and knit yarn in RL.
I understand that there was a need to combine bundles of items, and that it probably brought some of the bloat into some sort of improvement, but for RP reasons, I really, really do not like this, and it will never work in my head.
I'm not asking you to change it just because some of us may not like it, but I did want to be honest with how I feel about it.
If people see bundles of thread in someone's hands, they're probably gonna give said person some really strange looks and wonder for a while why people aren't handling cloth. It's going to be weird for a while, and with all new characters who don't know the game.
Verel

Post by Verel »

better to have things less confusing by not having two totally similar items like yarn and thread.

I will say though, this is so anti-cat.