Yarn and thread merged into a single resource type (thread)

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Jilliana

Re: Yarn and thread merged into a single resource type (thread)

Post by Jilliana »

My first reaction upon reading this change was overwhelming sense of confusion and distress. As a crafter IRL, I find it a bit of a mind blow. When I walked away from my computer to wash dishes, I gave it deep thought.

I came to realize that although it makes sense on a game level, one of the things a lot of us have come to appreciate is that aesthetic that comes with being a crafter. That comforting thing that comes from working with yarn and creating something. It sounds very superficial and silly, but it's a real thing.

It'll take time for me to get used to this.

I also agree with someone before... very anti-cat!
(Rias says, "Happiness is accepting your past as part of who you are.")
Teri

Post by Teri »

With this merging, to address thread vs yarn verbiage, how would people feel about something like "A skein of white rimeveil." Or "a skein of granite-gray alpaca wool." instead of being explicitly called thread? (Reading the dictionary entry for skein: a length of thread or yarn, loosely coiled and knotted.)
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Jilliana

Post by Jilliana »

Teri wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:16 pm With this merging, to address thread vs yarn verbiage, how would people feel about something like "A skein of white rimeveil." Or "a skein of granite-gray alpaca wool." instead of being explicitly called thread? (Reading the dictionary entry for skein: a length of thread or yarn, loosely coiled and knotted.)
Yes! I was actually going to bring this up but forgot. Thank you for it. :)
(Rias says, "Happiness is accepting your past as part of who you are.")
Teri

Post by Teri »

Jilliana wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:20 pm
Teri wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:16 pm With this merging, to address thread vs yarn verbiage, how would people feel about something like "A skein of white rimeveil." Or "a skein of granite-gray alpaca wool." instead of being explicitly called thread? (Reading the dictionary entry for skein: a length of thread or yarn, loosely coiled and knotted.)
You are welcome! I can hand wave the change mentally, but I am often knitting irl while knitting in game, reading thread while hitting knit does throw me some.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Firerose

Post by Firerose »

Jilliana and Teri, yes and yes. And Teri, I love your idea, and was thinking of suggesting that, too. I think it'd be a fair compromise.
tulpa

Post by tulpa »

adresin wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:25 pm As high demand as thread is, I don't expect flooding to be much of a problem. If it is it shouldn't last very long.
Actually, the market is very frequently flooded with yarn and thread. There are few if any other items I've experienced the same kind of trouble with. I gave up trying to sell either with the recent (necessary) clearout and had to give the stuff away, after days of checking.

Going to add my support for Teri's idea! As long as recipes are updated to include skein as a component, rather than leaving it as thread/yarn, I don't think it would be too confusing. Knitting with thread is a challenging image, and different kinds of "string" can be very different, I think that's a bit reductive. Regular string, bowstrings, and gutstrings for example!
sapphire

Post by sapphire »

Teri wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:27 pm
Jilliana wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:20 pm
You are welcome! I can hand wave the change mentally, but I am often knitting irl while knitting in game, reading thread while hitting knit does throw me some.
It's good to know I wasn't the only one that this breaks for. I love your compromise. While I get other's points like people should no the difference the reality is many don't. I have always really appreciated the realism of crafting in this game. You gather the resources then you craft. Other games don't do this well at all.
I also agree this is so anti-cat that poor Cat in Stormholdt! Where will they ever get their yarn balls?
artus

Post by artus »

I don't weave rl, but weavers rl do have a point. It's awkward to come up with an rp reason and say dude, I don't tailor just because you see me with threads. You can rp with yarn however but assumption is in people's brains for like ever. Some will bring it to rp and go oh you're weaving thread and you have to come up with countless explanations ic that it's not supposed to be threads blah blah blah. Also, this can get on some nerves of weavers rl who actually know how to weave and such, yarn being thicker than thread and grammarly, you weave yarn, not thread. The suggested item description and changing it to a scane or string of whatever wool is actually a good one and I can see how it'll help with rp as much as resource management. Have the code count as thread or whatever but the item in question doesn'thave to be called thread, stuff like that.
Navi

Post by Navi »

Simple solution that solves the problem of resource management and people's role play being broken.

Just make it modifiable to be either yarn or thread. One resource with a shared market price that allows the player to decide if it is yarn or thread before weaving/sewing. If you want to go a step further just call it spun <noun> when it is first spun, and default to whatever the craft uses when it's utilized.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
tulpa

Post by tulpa »

Making it clear in the relevant RECIPEs that cordage can be substituted for thread/skeins would also clear up some confusion, while we're talking about all this.

I do not know if the catchall "skein" would be applicable to materials like barkcloth, but I think it just refers to how the thread or yarn is presented in a coil? We could possibly remove all reference to "cordage" and just have "a skein of hand-woven barkcloth/stingnettle/thornleaf", as well.

edit: I realise this last suggestion implies you could have "knitted barkcloth mittens", etc., which might be a bit weird. Perhaps you'd have to make it so that "knitted" recipes can only be attempted with skeins made of the appropriate materials (the wools). There doesn't seem to be a distinction using RECIPE INFO between tailored and knitted recipes, at the moment, at least when you search as a neutral player with no skill in either. (I've sent a bug about this).