Yarn and thread merged into a single resource type (thread)

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
sapphire

Re: Yarn and thread merged into a single resource type (thread)

Post by sapphire »

Thank you for the compromise!!!! <3
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

This has been a fascinatingly hot topic! I admit I had imagined it would be taken as a pretty universal positive, making things easier on knitters and yarn weavers with a much greater pool of available resources since thread is consistently more plentifully available than yarn. That said, I hear the feedback and concerns. There was no intention to make anyone feel less authentic. Here's what has been done in response to the feedback provided:

- Instead of items with a noun of "thread", the items are now "skeins". Staff agreed it would probably be best to keep them all under the same noun for consistent targeting and sorting and all that.
- The default description of the skeins has been changed to not specify thread or yarn.
- Knitting and woven yarn projects only work with wool, rimeveil, and cotton skeins. I admittedly didn't consider the results of the original update opening up silly things like knitting with barkcloth cordage. Oops!
- The market flooding cap on skeins has been raised, meaning there can be more on the market at once. This should account for the two item types of yarn and thread being merged into one.
- Recipe info for knitted and woven yarn recipes will now specify "(yarn materials only)" next to the required skein component info.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
ThresherAle

Post by ThresherAle »

Remember, remember
The Ninth of December
The day that the Skein Wars began
Resources combined
Processes refined
And feedback to fix all it can
A black entity asks, "What goal is that?"
A sunset-orange entity says, "Gettin you to take a bath."
A black entity says, "I look forward to one of these boxes blowing up in your face."
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

It might be worth taking a gander at the helpfuls for Weaving, Tailoring and any of the recipe list pages, to replace those obsolete nouns. I cannot recall any other pages which have the word 'thread' or 'yarn' in them.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.