Library Infirmary

Seekers of knowledge, from physickers to alchemists to occultists.
ocayucos

Library Infirmary

Post by ocayucos »

Can we get an infirmary at the Library of Qamar? They have a whole guild of healers studying here so some of them could use some real world practice.
Gorth

Re: Library Infirmary

Post by Gorth »

If Brocode were here, he'd be all over it. I'll do it instead.

no.

You'd never have to leave the place to max medical. That's silly.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
ocayucos

Post by ocayucos »

Make them leave to work on medical then? I don't even have that skill, I just want to be able to get healed while I'm surrounded by the land's best healers.
Agelity

Post by Agelity »

I'd also chime in in favor of something like this. I'd expect it's both where the best of the best are currently located (such as the instructors presumed to be within the halls), but also where many students get to actively practice their craft so they can be ready to practice out in the field. That being said, not sure quite how extensive the Qamar Medical School actually goes, but I do love the general idea of some NPC Physickers being located there to assist in visitors, even if the PCs themselves still need to go out and get some field experience (aka, Shadgard & Mistral Lake).
Ansarian

Post by Ansarian »

ocayucos wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:03 pm Can we get an infirmary at the Library of Qamar? They have a whole guild of healers studying here so some of them could use some real world practice.
This is an entirely reasonable thing one might expect. It is admittedly rather interesting one might be surrounded by such apt individuals of both mind and skill and yet be unable to be afforded basic care.

I'll broach it with the others and see if we might be able to arrange something.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Per the changelog: The Library of Qamar now has an infirmary, which can be reached through the doorway at the Ecology & Biology stacks. The Medical skill can be studied there up to rank 100.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
artus

Post by artus »

That was like super quick counting from Ansarian's last post! Thank you for the prompt addition!
Dahann

Post by Dahann »

It was awesome to see that they have a medical students student staffing the infirmary at the Library!
It would be great if there were a few "flavour" dialog options when you "ask student about chat", in which they would complain about the hardship of their training..

things along the lines of
- "I haven't slept in 3 days. Are you sure you want me to suture this?"
- "Prepare yourself for a unique blend of dubious remedies and hopeful guesswork."
- "Trust me, you'll leave here either miraculously cured or with a perplexing new ailment."
- "Treading through the muck of overworked servitude in this infirmary purgatory"
- "Enduring the perpetual cycle of ailments and underappreciation."
- "Another day of feigned enthusiasm and suppressed bitterness."
- "Let's embark on this healing journey together, armed with my questionable expertise."

if "ask student about name", they could say something like "We don't have names, we go by numbers. You're in luck, mine is thirty-seven. As in, the thirty-seventh most competent in my class.. of thirty-seven".

This would require a bit more work, but it would be funny if they could sometimes botch the job, especially for a wound that requires sutures (i.e. they would cause bleeding for a round or two as they remove the bandage, and then manage to get things under control).

Conversely, you could get a small morale bonus from their gratitude for allowing them to train on you (to balance the risk).

D
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

There have been a couple bug reports about the medical student not treating wounds, but I haven't been able to replicate that. They heal me when I lie down, and I've seen them heal a few other people. If you experience this bug where the student won't heal you, please use the HEALTH command and report what your wounds are at the time via the BUG command, and ensure that you're lying down.

For those experiencing it: Is it prompting you to do ACCEPT TREATMENT at least? And then just not treating after you accept?
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Rias wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:48 pm For those experiencing it: Is it prompting you to do ACCEPT TREATMENT at least? And then just not treating after you accept?
Yes.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.