Player character homes!

Hear ye, hear ye!
Volinn

Re: Player character homes!

Post by Volinn »

Great! Been wanting my dude to have a cat or something. As for visitor access: I think most people would be content with just the ability to answer the door/let people in without having to step outside and lead them in. The person outside gets a message that the door opens and maybe the person inside can say something while it is without yelling.
adresin

Post by adresin »

Perhaps limit the access list to one, maybe two people?

One thing I thought about with homes is that this would be really good for couples. So I think definitely one person who could have guest access.

The reason I said maybe two is for that odd situation where maybe someone is helping with a project or something. I can totally understand not wanting it to be open ended like farms, but part of the appeal to homes, at least for some, seems like it would be couples not having to actually lead each other in and out of inn rooms.

Not really applicable to either of my characters but just my thoughts.

Too bad the character I consider my main nowadays can't really justify a house! :) Pets are such a cool idea.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

HOUSE PET DOG GIVE ME DOG!

But also, I think one person on the access list would do alright. There'd probably be a couple people who would do annoying silly things with it to allow people to freeload, but I mean, why do they have to ruin our fun? Can just flavor it as giving the accessor a key, too. Nothing complicated, I'd think.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

We do have a way to designate a home's co-owner who can also enter at will and lead in groups, which we are currently manually assigning case-by-case for couples!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Tessa

Post by Tessa »

You're the best, Rias and crew.
"The sea is emotion incarnate. It loves, hates, and weeps. It defies all attempts to capture it with words and rejects all shackles. No matter what you say about it, there is always that which you can't." — Christopher Paolini
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

Thanks for taking all these suggestions into consideration.

As others have suggested before, could do with tiny crafted/store bought wooden frames to hang things, even without painter merchants. So many PCs are talented artists already and it's incredible!

Agreed about limiting access to one or two people, mayb implement shared ownership so one home per account still counts, it's just shared and tentatively slightly bigger. Lots of amazing bonds formed between characters, so having shared homes could add to the niceness.
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Right, I should clarify that co-owning still counts as that account's one homeownership opportunity (it can be undone later, but hopefully it doesn't come that). I should also clarify that I think it's adorable seeing people moving in together, or planning to!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
sapphire

Post by sapphire »

I haven't been here long, but I try to balance my character hanging out in private with close friends, and being out in public.
My character does tend to stay more in private like while I'm working, or when I'm only half present. Full disclosure that with my job I could suddenly be pulled away, so I try not to get to heavily into roleplay while working etc.
I agree with the limited access, but maybe have a temp access let's say for one day for builders? Or if a day doesn't feel right maybe a few hours?
I do like that staff can assist with couples, because it would be odd if a close well establish couple couldn't give keys to homes.
It can be cute rp planning in a move!
artus

Post by artus »

Hey hey hey, what about Arty and his galore of sissies and bros? Actually nevr mind, he's not the one getting a house of the two active chars I have now.:p Just kidding.

Seconded the idea of wall hangings or something for art display. Isn't display case in the plan? I wonder if a form of it could be made for paintings and alike so they could be virtualized and viewed from within the case rather than having to be moved in and out. The same goes for other items on display anyway. It's a temptation for artist characters to produce art and we all love our masterpieces.:p

Also looks like I'll have to get a house before a furniture seller comes by, then. But but but moneyyy!:( Can't wait to see what's in store for us though, really.

One more question: if services can be paid for monthly and if, say, furnitures are delivered to a house, what if we somehow lose access to that house via selling or being off, does it mean everything including those just go poof? Let's say we got house decorations and all and for whatever reason we just can't play for a good while, will everything customized just go away from the house or will, say, a custom built in something we bought are still in the house upon being put up for sale? I think I've seen a house with built in bed or whatever somewhere. I could be wrong though.
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

Along with some sort of way to admit someone knocking on a door without needing to exit a house, I'd like to suggest the following:

Various types of ways to knock on a door to begin with. Rhythmically, quietly, thunderously, relentlessly, what have you. I'm thinking a similar syntax to tone in say and esp communication, but don't know if that would be abused, so would happily settle for some colourful presets!
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.