Player character homes!

Hear ye, hear ye!
Rilulth

Re: Player character homes!

Post by Rilulth »

Whilst current furniture is being worked on as player-created, I'll attempt to bring around a mattress salesman some point this weekend so at least a bed can be obtained for the morale people usually get from inn rooms!
tulpa —
If we ever get player housing, Mistralite houseshares are going to be full of this stuff. "Damnit who let the thousand-year old angry venomous moths out of their velvet pouch again?"
Prism

Post by Prism »

Volinn wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:30 am
tulpa wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:24 am It would be a nice touch to have mail forwarded to a mailbox at one's home, rather than collected from the post office.
Dang, what a great idea this is.
I’d sure love mail delivery tasks, too

Let me be the postman
"The sky, above the clouds; A rainbow that fate has devoured
I gave up Hope
But I'm not going to be lost tomorrow; Even if it is hell
I'm gonna' crawl. "
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

What about our own little back yard? We could have a little space with just four or five plots for a little tiny garden? Maybe we could get a building recipe for a mini-shed for one little livestock animal. I feel like that'd be nice. Maybe we could pay extra on buying the home to have that included?

It could just be an extra exit, when you enter the home, maybe.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Maina

Post by Maina »

Gorth wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:43 pm What about our own little back yard? We could have a little space with just four or five plots for a little tiny garden? Maybe we could get a building recipe for a mini-shed for one little livestock animal. I feel like that'd be nice. Maybe we could pay extra on buying the home to have that included?

It could just be an extra exit, when you enter the home, maybe.
Would kill to have my own little Shoo in the back yard, honestly. Though with farms consistently quoted as one of the worst bloat offenders, this might be not the best. Still, would love to manage a small little garden instead of a whole huge farm.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Oh, yeah. That's why we give it hardly any actual room space, and just allow you to plant three plants, or something simple. Mybe enough room for a crate. Still would love to have a mini shed, so I could have four chickens or a goat or something.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

This might have been brought up before, but is there a reason in particular not to have houses work on an access system like farms do? Like we're giving someone a key. Maybe it'd be neat if we could have a deadbolt inside, so it doesn't matter if someone has a key.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

I think another thing the houses could come with is a trash barrel. A basin's already been mentioned, I think. ANd these both only take up one room space. Honestly, it'd be nice if they didn't actually appear in the 'you also notice' list. There's already lots of items in houses.
Jilliana

Post by Jilliana »

If the following has been suggested already, consider this a +100.

I'd like to suggest wood boxes that virtualize. This way, we could get wood/peat, which is necessary fuel to stay warm/cook and not get penalized for it.
(Rias says, "Happiness is accepting your past as part of who you are.")
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Jilliana wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:17 am If the following has been suggested already, consider this a +100.

I'd like to suggest wood boxes that virtualize. This way, we could get wood/peat, which is necessary fuel to stay warm/cook and not get penalized for it.
My crate just sitting there feels so out of place, and also limiting! Fun tip, though. ou can leave fuel within the stove, without lighting it, and also have a container. Which works, but I'd still like to be able to hold a lot more. It feels silly that I can't realistically store more than a day's worth of fuel in a home. Or around a home, at least. I'm sure I've got a woodpile.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions in this thread!

- Beds: We're working on a way to get some to people in the short term (via a merchant), and potential crafting options as well that will likely come later.
- Weaving rugs/mats/etc is in the pipe!
- More wall hangings would indeed be spiffy. I feel a painter merchant may arrive in the near future, and drapes and hanging plants could work as wall hangings as well.
- Crafted wash basins are in the pipe (they'll need to be refilled occasionally, maybe later have a potential option to pay a monthly fee and be hooked to the town water pipes)
- Shelving/cupboards/counters/etc. are a possibility for some kind of one-per-appropriate-room more efficient storage item.
- I wouldn't hold breath for yard additions, as the towns are meant to feel jam-packed and densely-populated without room for things like individual home yards, but some rare custom homes that come with yards (and are much more expensive) are a possibility.
- Housepets are something I want, just need to code/implement them.
- Forwarding mail to homes would be great, though anything bigger than letters might need to imply the post workers have a universal home key to put them inside the home ... unless there's like a delivery chute you can add on, maybe? Hrm.
- Trash barrel: You can get a barrel and put it in your house and label it! Maybe another paid monthly fee option to add a trash chute that deposits trash outside for town trash collectors to pick up.
- More efficient firewood crates is a good idear.

P.S. "monthly fee" mentions above would be in-game currency, just to be perfectly clear on that.

Re: Visitor access. We don't want homes on an unlimited open access system like farms because we want to discourage them becoming viewed as private community centers or the like. We already struggle with farms being viewed that way and having the effect of cloistering away chunks of the playerbase into private areas rather than public gathering areas more often than we'd prefer. We'd also like to encourage people who want the benefits of a home to acquire their own homes rather than go in on some house share where, say, 20 people are getting all the housing benefits from a single house, which doesn't feel right. Part of the one-home-per-account concept is to encourage players to commit to a character and play them more consistently which we feel is good for the game and its community. That doesn't work so well if all an account's alts can have guest access to other homes and not need their own.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO