Sledding!

A place where new features are announced and discussed. (Feature suggestions go in the suggestions topic.)
Rias
DEV

Sledding!

Post by Rias »

My kids were out sledding this morning, and I wanted a way to get in on that without getting all tired and cold and soaked. So ...

I've added the "snow sled runner" woodworking recipe, and the "snow sled" construction recipe. Once you put together a snow sled, go to a room with deep snow and an exit with the "sledding" tag, then RIDE SLED (or SIT SLED or PUSH SLED) to start your way down the slope! You'll automatically hurtle toward the end of the "course" (a room without any more sledding exits). Direction changes require a small challenge rating to be overcome, or you'll fall off your sled. No injuries, just a premature stop to your sledding adventure. Skills that help keep one's balance on sleds include (from most to least):
- Acrobatics
- Climbing
- Riding
- Dodge
- Melee
- Ranged

There's no major functionality or purpose to sledding, it's just to have fun. In fact, going sledding grants a little morale boost for your character! I've added sledding spots where I could think of them, but if anyone comes across some spots that aren't sleddable but probably should be, please suggest them here in this thread! Note that exits will not be tagged as "sledding" if there isn't deep snow in the area at the moment. They should be described as sloping areas, and not include any major direction changes that nearly double back on themselves.

This was a very off-the-cuff implementation so if anyone has any ideas to improve it, I'm all ears. I just wanted to get it in and functioning. Have fun out there!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Jilliana

Re: Sledding!

Post by Jilliana »

I am so happy that you added this. I can't wait to try it. :)
(Rias says, "Happiness is accepting your past as part of who you are.")
artus

Post by artus »

Now that makes my day!
Also preparing sounds for it, as usual.:) Thank you for the awesome addition, Rias. Love you man.:)
Navi

Post by Navi »

I'm very excited for this change. One area I think could be made into a particularly challenging sledding spot is in the Leyndarmal Hills. Starting from the path that leads further up the mountain and all the way down to the lake. The descriptions of the room seem to indicate that at least some of these turns would be challenging to make. Hope this helps.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
ThresherAle

Post by ThresherAle »

For anyone who might not know, the sleds can be dyed. Thanks for mentioning it when you saw me buying mine, Leilah.

Glad nobody was around to see how many times I fell off my sled on my first run down the Upper Timberpine.
A black entity asks, "What goal is that?"
A sunset-orange entity says, "Gettin you to take a bath."
A black entity says, "I look forward to one of these boxes blowing up in your face."
Volinn

Post by Volinn »

The abandoned village would be a good place for it!
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

What if I don't want positive morale from this? /grump
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
sapphire

Post by sapphire »

Now that people are dying sleds this is helping, but if there are multiple of the same color in the room I can see people accidentally using someone's sled. Would it be possible to do sit my sled, or get my sled to help with this?