Meditation Defense

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Maina

Meditation Defense

Post by Maina »

I would like to suggest an adjustment of Meditation as a defense.

My character has 300 Meditation. This is higher than the general level. Only Primalists and Arcanists can get higher.

Capping Meditation to this above-average level grants a +45 to defense roll cap against most things that Meditation works against.

Even if the offensive abilities are increased alongside it, it would just feel a lot better if we actually got 100% of our Meditation skill on the defense rolls, similar to how other defenses work. It feels really underwhelming to only ever see 15% of the skill getting applied.

Alternately, if the desire is for it to work differently, perhaps the percentage could remain low, but every X skill grants a meditation reroll.
Navi

Re: Meditation Defense

Post by Navi »

I have experience with these encounters as well. I've personally been holding off on spending points on meditation just because of how niche the defense actually is. If I understand correctly, the reason for the lackluster defense is due to the nature of the offensive abilities. They are supernatural. Trying to overcome them with anything less than superhuman methods isn't suppose to be common.

That being said, I do think the additional rerolls would be nice. Though even so, I don't think there are partial losses or wins when it comes to these skill checks. It's all or nothing. Maybe something could be adjusted there as well for partial successful defenses.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Even with Willpower amd two hundred Meditation I've found it difficult to succeed rolls using it.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Serity

Post by Serity »

There's more than a few abilities whose duration is reduced the better you defend against it, and some - like shield bash - are dependent on a certain endroll to even have crowd control at all. I don't necessarily think WoW/WoH should fail if it doesn't pass 25% endroll or whatever, I'm only bringing it up as a note that there are abilities that are like that.

That said, maybe some sort of stackable, multi-purchasable Mind Hardening ability in the vein of Glyph Retention would be neat to add meditation rerolls? Maybe every 150 skill or something, so people who put only a single level worth into meditation can't access it.
Navi

Post by Navi »

Might actually be neat if something like word of confidence boosted defenses against other words for a short period of time. I think if it is used in the moment, it has a positive affect, but I haven't really had the opportunity to test it.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again