Fun QoL Type Thing: Blocking a Punch

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Gorth

Fun QoL Type Thing: Blocking a Punch

Post by Gorth »

I'm not sure if there are systems in place to make something like this happen, but it would be very neat if you could use parry even when not holding a weapon if the incoming attack was, say a bare fist, or a gloved fist. Maybe, even, a weapon doing bludgeon damage. I would certainly not say crush, that would be a little powerful.

My thought is simple. We don't have a way to block a punch! That's it!
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Volinn

Re: Fun QoL Type Thing: Blocking a Punch

Post by Volinn »

I wholeheartedly support this, for reasons.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

If you hold gloves in your hand, you can still parry. I'd be interested, if nothing else, to see parry be possible while wearing a weapon, if not holding one. That might even be easier to stop.

Also can I bladecatch a punch without gauntlets? That'd be pretty cool!
Squeak

Post by Squeak »

Gorth wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:12 am If you hold gloves in your hand, you can still parry. I'd be interested, if nothing else, to see parry be possible while wearing a weapon, if not holding one. That might even be easier to stop.

Also can I bladecatch a punch without gauntlets? That'd be pretty cool!
We can test, if you like.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Oh, no. I was suggesting it. If I'm wearing gauntlets, I know I can. I'd like to be able to do it without gloves, because it's just a punch and I catch swords for a living.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Can you use FLURRY, Furious Counter or Furious Blow with punches? If not,that'd be cool.

I know Mighty Blow and Staggering Blow require hand and a half or two-handed weapons, and maybe Staggering Blow should, but what about Mighty Blow for a big haymaker or something? I'm suggesting all of these things as I think about them, and not really thinking about if they're feasible. Just think they'd be cool. For reasons.

I went through the whole ability list and I can't think of any others that might be applicable to punches that aren't already. I'm not trying to make fist fighting a viable mode of operation, I just think it'd be neat for a lot of niche cases; if we ever find ourselves in a barfight, or in a cage match with an angry lion, for example.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

I still would love the ability to parry fists without a weapon, but maybe we could parry actual low impact weapons without a weapon if we have arm armor. That makes sense, I think. Or it could be like bladecatch, where we take a little bit of damage from it.