Skill practice in the real world

Socialize with the COGG player community
ThresherAle

Skill practice in the real world

Post by ThresherAle »

Anyone else have their character's skills inspire them to try something out in real life? Or maybe you made a character with skills that you'd like to have in real life, and later decided to try your hand a the real thing. Or you based your character's skills on your real-world skills, because you're just that shiny.

My character has often played guitar to accompany his singing, but I don't play guitar in real life. I recently had my character start focusing on the mountain dulcimer instead since I've got one in real life that I never bothered to really try and learn until 30 days ago. Here's a video of me plinking out Scarborough Fair, my first real song. I'm feeling merciful, so it's only one verse. https://thresherale.neocities.org/scarb ... lcimer.mp4

Now that I've shared, I'm gonna prod other folks to share their own game to reality transcendent skills, even if your real life skill level is still below 100, like mine. If you haven't started, pick one to start on, let us know which you're going for, and report back in 30 days. Or earlier, if you're feeling confident!

Heck, share any of your real-world skills even if they have nothing to do with your COGG characters. I know we've got some talented writers, poets, singers, composers, and musicians among us, and some folks have talked about their weapons and martial arts experience, picking locks, hiking and running, and all sorts of stuff. Does anyone do sleight of hand? That's something I'd love to see. I could never get the hang of it. Share some examples of your work or videos of your skills!
A black entity asks, "What goal is that?"
A sunset-orange entity says, "Gettin you to take a bath."
A black entity says, "I look forward to one of these boxes blowing up in your face."
Rilulth

Re: Skill practice in the real world

Post by Rilulth »

That's such a neat instrument! I don't think I've ever seen one outside of an arts museum.

Whilst I suck at string instruments I can play the piano, albeit not as well anymore. I would love to learn the lyre though. Perhaps I'll treat myself to one for Christmas and give it a whirl.
tulpa —
If we ever get player housing, Mistralite houseshares are going to be full of this stuff. "Damnit who let the thousand-year old angry venomous moths out of their velvet pouch again?"
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Playing Caius has prompted me, for obvious reasons, to learn a whole heck of a lot about horses in general, and also swordsmanship. I can't do any of it myself (blindness is hell), but I know about it.

It isn't a skill, but COGG has gotten me into fashion and color theory in general. It's actually been a super big morale booster, for myself, to actually know what I'm wearing, and how it looks. Thanks, COGG!
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Volinn

Post by Volinn »

'Eyyy! Good job, dude! On the song in the OP, that is.
Alicron

Post by Alicron »

Sadly, the only skills I share in common with my character are the ability to avoid people and a penchant for working long hours alone in the dark. Oh and I can also write bad emo poetry... but I'll spare you all the torment.
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

Used to do impressions of everybody whose voice I found interesting. Have grown considerably shier and more self-conscious in recent years so don't anymore, but just realised that's something my character does skillfully on the regular. Also, I'm rubbish at a couple of instruments. :D

Well done on the performance video, though!
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Lamia

Post by Lamia »

I love to sing, although I'm certainly not a singer. I pretty much just do so in glorious solitude. So my character also loves to sing, while very much not being a singer. She, however, will sing at the drop of a hat, and with no regard for the sensibilities of anyone who might be in the vicinity.

Also, congrats on taking up the dulcimer, and a good choice for first song.
You say, "Well, they probably use goblets, but better table manners are still no reason to join a bloodcult."
Navi

Post by Navi »

A looooong time ago, on CLOK, I had a character that was pretty skilled with picking locks. It served as inspiration to get into the hobby in IRL. I can't say I'm a professional or anything. However, I can pick deadbolts and other everyday normal locks pretty easily, and without raking. Something I've been pretty proud of ever since.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

I should actually probably mention that. I have a history of singing characters, mostly because i've long since bbefore COGG loved vocal folk music. But performing it in COGG has gotten me into singing, and learning how to sing. I'm terrible, though. Don't at me.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Squeak

Post by Squeak »

Great job on the vid!!

I can't claim any real originality, so Chimaera is actually loosely based off of me. He's a gunsmith from Khaldea whereas I'm a gunsmith and armorer in real life. Lockpicking for him was an RP choice since some of the first flintlock crafters were locksmiths, but one of my first jobs out of high school all those years ago was as a locksmith. He's a blacksmith, again an RP choice to make firearms, and I've done that, too (one of my neighbors is actually a Forged in Fire Champion, for any who have watched that show).

And I have a couple horses, and like the solitude of nature, much the same as Chimaera. Fun fact: I went out to dinner this evening with my parents wearing a similar outfit to Chimaera (white shirt, faded blue jeans, roper-heeled boots, and a plaid brown padded jacket).