Inn rooms

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
deborah

Inn rooms

Post by deborah »

Hello there,
As you may know, role-play in COGG involves situations where one might want to share their inn room with others. While we wait for homes to be implemented, it would be great if such a feature, explained below, could be added. You can type 'ENTER <PLAYERNAME>' to enter someone else's room and 'CHECK' to enter your own room.
How to grant access to your room? It's simple enough. You type 'AUTH*ORIZE <PLAYERNAME>' at the front desk or 'ACCESS ROOM GRANT <PLAYERNAME>' and to deny is the same, but with the word DENY or, in case of the first option, DEAUTH*ORIZE.
What do you all think?
tulpa

Re: Inn rooms

Post by tulpa »

Bringing other characters into your character's inn room is already possible in your presence (though it does require you to recruit them into your group and lead them inside). For me, that's probably enough to get by with.

The ability to KNOCK on other players' doors could be useful (and then for the occupants to be able to grant them entry) and has been brought up in the past.

I don't see a need for something more fully-featured like the ACCESS system with farms, however. The sharing of inn rooms between characters seems like it would only lead to frustrations/complications and I think should only be permitted in a select few scenarios (spouses whose players also know each other IRL, perhaps, but even then, I'm very iffy about it.) Something players could email and petition the GM team about directly, perhaps.

Lastly, inn staff probably wouldn't be very happy about (possibly several) unregistered guests dodging room fees, sleeping and storing all their stuff in someone else's space, if it were the real world. If it can be abused it likely will be, though I'm not suggesting that's your intent.
silly

Post by silly »

During a previous voice chat, concerns were brought up regarding the potential for misuse related to the unrestricted ability to enter and exit other characters' inn rooms. Perhaps a better alternative would be to require the character to be present in the inn room, and grant permission to someone that wants to enter?

One option I thought of might be implementing a 'knock-on-door' feature, where individuals request entry by knocking on the inn room doors. Alternatively, an attendant at the front desk could notify the respective character that they have a visitor(s). Maybe how this is done could depend on where the in is located! :D
Using your hands, you work at washing a wash basin at a wash basin.
A wash basin is now clean.
Jilliana

Post by Jilliana »

I like the idea of admitting a guest only if the occupant of the room is there.

Perhaps a bell system would be neat. Rather old-fashioned for us but common enough. The command could be something like bell/ring person name.
(Rias says, "Happiness is accepting your past as part of who you are.")
sapphire

Post by sapphire »

I think allowing someone makes since if they are a couple sharing a bed. Maybe if you have an approved guest the rent goes up, so the inn still gets the money for two people!
deborah

Post by deborah »

Exactly. And the space could remain the same, as they'd live together.
I like the idea of 'BELL <playername>, that'd be good for normal visitors, too.