Lemme help you with that, bruh!

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
merin

Lemme help you with that, bruh!

Post by merin »

Hey friends!

This has popped into my mind with the discovery that my warm beverage gets cold (love it, btw).
I don’t know what else to call these other than cantrips. But the idea is that our skills can have a little extra. Nothing game changing, nothing super duper fancy, but just little times where they would be useful. Let me give some examples and perhaps it’ll become more clear. This can even require abilities. It’s kind of on the same vein as the sweet little sleight of hand tricks, or the tumble and flip tricks.
• Skill: storytelling: you can aid a current storyteller, allowing for more advanced acting. The primary storyteller will receive a boost in payout and popularity. (think of it as you slipping in the narrative to provide the death screams, grunts and groans, flopping around on stage, or harmonizing to bring out the performer’s voice in a song). Can only be done when you see someone storytelling and it gives a bit of gains or boost to you. Maybe half of a regular one. Totally should be a “hey I’ve got a sec can I tell a story with you?”
• Skill: metalworking/stone working: You can aid a user in the midst of metal casting. Once you observe the furnace going molten, you can aid the last person to pull the chain. This will ask them if they wish for assistance. If granted, it will start an auto repeating action for you where your character keeps the metal molten. I point out the requirements of having to see the metal turn from solid to liquid because the person doing the work should still have to do the slag and all that, but it would be nice if someone saw me working at heating iron and metal casting shot if we could take a few mins to chat and keep their metal going. Could reward a morale boost or something small (I don’t see how a skill gain from this is possible or plausible).
• The essence leach ability got one from the festival (super neat and what helped solidify this in my dome).
• Ability: growth. If you make the concerted effort to help a druid perform the growth ability, you take on half of the energy strain. (the two druids must start channeling together, must be in a group, and the growth duration of the two druids is used instead of one or the other (growth for one druid is 200 minutes, the other is 300 minutes, total growth time is 250 minutes. This allows for more experienced druids to boost younger ones but not always take over the lead role)
• Guild: warriors. Warriors can aid [TUTOR] other warriors or non-warriors in their training. This will allow for a warrior to help with the practice. Randomly, after a fight, the warrior will notice something that needs improvement about the performance of the, let’s go with student, in the previous engagement (this would give 1.5x or double or whatever the skill gain for that fight). IE bob kills a raven and would get .5 melee practice. Bill who is helping bob learn how to fight a bit notices something a bit off and tells bob about it, which results in him getting .75 or a whole point for that particular kill! The chance can be influenced by a number of things: more people in your group lowers the chance. More people you are fighting lowers the chance. The more fighting you yourself do lowers the chance. Essentially it’s harder to keep track of a fight the more people are involved, and if you’re focused on kicking ass yourself you’re not going to help your student get better, but if me and bob are fighting a guardian and I knock the guardian down and bob then beats it up and takes the majority of the fight, then I can see more of what went wrong for him (helps those people that purposely hold back so their group mates can get a hit and get gains…why not give them a better gain)? To benefit you, you can be inspired by your student’s success and get one or two gains along the way, or a morale bonus, or something.
• Skill: perception. If you’re fighting in a group and a comrade is disarmed, you will retrieve their weapon after the fight and return it to them. Treasure hunter’s eye could increase this by a lot.
• Skill: climbing. If someone is climbing and they haven’t yet reached the half way point, you can give them a boost, taking a few seconds off their travel time (probably have to find a percentage where you couldn’t boost them anymore, 25%). Same for the way down. If they are close enough to the ground, you can tell them to let go and help them land safely.
• Medical over 200: see above for growth. If two physickers are present (one experienced and one less so), the lesser experienced physicker can aid in their practice, boosting the output for the patient as well as giving the less experienced physicker gains; take the average duration/benefit of their therapy and that’s the duration.
• Arcana glyphs: water washes people, air dry them, both cleans the stuff you can clean off without a brush,, throwing earth in the mix will clean someone’s gear (I don’t know, sand makes some exfoliation?). Channeling pyromancy and holding a flask in your hands warms it back up, or lights a candle. There are probably a billion ways these can be introduced.

If anyone else likes the idea, what other small perks for skills would be neat? Bonus points if it helped people in some small way (more of a perk for being in the right place at the right time for both people) rather than a “hey meet up so we can totally gamify this situation and benefit". This can even include stats, i'm sure!