Questions While the Roundtable is Away

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Gorth

Questions While the Roundtable is Away

Post by Gorth »

Since we aren't doing weekly roundtables anymore, for now at least, I figured I should start this to ask some questions. Feel free to add other questions here.

- I've heard whispers of the Shadgard Coydogs, mostly from a little poking in the CLOK BBS. Are they still a thing? If so, what do they do? If not anymore, what did they do?
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Rias
DEV

Re: Questions While the Roundtable is Away

Post by Rias »

The Shadgard Coydogs were a short-lived militia group in CLOK that were meant to specialize in dealing with dangerous threats that were beyond the reach of the local militia. Intercepting incoming baddies before they made it to town, investigating or chasing down threats to Shadgard that were out elsewhere in the world, etc. It was made up of PCs but didn't particularly catch on, in large part due to frequent confusion about what kind of authority they had (both among members and non-members). The truth was that they weren't meant to have any authority, just a militia group that the town could call on in times of need. Hence militia, and not guards or peacekeepers or such. I believe Militia Captain Littlefield disbanded them due to various concerning incidents and behaviors from some members. (Giving out badges to indicate membership was clearly a mistake. Maybe it would have gone better with pins or wristbands.)

P.S. People should always feel free to ask questions on the BBS, even when roundtables are a thing!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Are there sumptuary laws in any of our COGG cultures, particularly as it extends to dress? I'm interested in all of the races for this question, but I'd also like to know what kind of dress was common for Viali commoners, knights or similar. Did this vary between area within Ivial?

Do history texts speak of the clothing styles in Constantia before we left?
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Squeak

Post by Squeak »

I was going to start a new topic, but this works as well:

Tried using my kobaltarn ingot today to make a shortsword (not the best use for it, but oh well) today, and well. It can't be forged, only cast. Okay, that's not a problem, I have a mold for it. So, lets fire up the furnance and melt it down ... now I don't even have enough to cast the blade.

Is the material loss intended for metalcasting? Is it that Kobaltarn can't actually be utilized in making things yet? Is it limited, like bronze and copper for crafting (which shouldn't affect casting it)?
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

Squeak wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:54 am I was going to start a new topic, but this works as well:

Tried using my kobaltarn ingot today to make a shortsword (not the best use for it, but oh well) today, and well. It can't be forged, only cast. Okay, that's not a problem, I have a mold for it. So, lets fire up the furnance and melt it down ... now I don't even have enough to cast the blade.

Is the material loss intended for metalcasting? Is it that Kobaltarn can't actually be utilized in making things yet? Is it limited, like bronze and copper for crafting (which shouldn't affect casting it)?
Interested in this as well, and in regards to fjelbrons as well. Both can only been cast apparently? Interested to know if this is intended and there will always be limitations in place to what can be done with this metals. We've seen two swords introduced with kobaltarn as it is (short and greatsword) but only the previous is possible though both examples were of better quality than possible with metalcasting.

My concern with this goes back to the old argument of steel vs bronze, and the limitations imposed by the fact that anything resolving around the nether means non-ferrous, and that then further limits equipment choice even further beyond material.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I'll answer the above questions but I'm also locking this thread, as I tend to tune out threads that end up being too random in scope of subject and content. There's nothing wrong with starting a new thread for a new line of thought that doesn't already have a thread dedicated to it!
Are there sumptuary laws in any of our COGG cultures, particularly as it extends to dress?
Probably! I could see some of the nobility having petty laws forbidding the commonfolk from dressing as snazzily as them. I don't have this figured out on a noble-by-noble or even territory-by-territory basis so if you want your backstory to involve something like this, keep it fairly vague rather than assuming the attitudes and actions of specific prominent society figures.
Is the material loss intended for metalcasting?
Yes, it's to prevent the same base ingot(s) being eternally recycled into countless different forms. It shouldn't be affecting ingots though, so I'll look into that.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO