Patrolman's Tabards!

A place where new features are announced and discussed. (Feature suggestions go in the suggestions topic.)
Rias
DEV

Re: Patrolman's Tabards!

Post by Rias »

Serity wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:22 pm This second bit is sort of vague - only considered for level generation? For credit?
Sorry, yeah, some of the details were a bit muddy. That part meant only the group leader is considered for spawning encounters at all. So if the leader wasn't On Patrol but they had five members who were, they wouldn't spawn any patrol encounters because the leader is not currently on patrol. So we don't run into situations where some group member forgot to remove their tabard (or put it on for whatever reason) and now suddenly the group is getting a bunch of encounters when they weren't gathered for that purpose.
So if a group full of On Patrollers are roaming around along with some non-patrollers, and a stack of seven mobs spawn, will...:
Q) each and every patroller receive merit for each mob slain? each and every patroller receive merit for each patroller-spawned mob slain? (if it generates a mob for each person)
A) As long as they're flagged as On Patrol and they've landed some kind of hit/maneuver/etc. (same as credit for experience gains) on a patrol-spawned mob that is defeated, they'll receive merit. In the case of a mixed group of On Patrol and non, every mob spawned will be considered patrol-spawned and be eligible for merit so long as the group leader is On Patrol.

Q) only the mob they themselves spawned among the group grant them credit? only the leader get credit because they spawned them all?
A) Patrollers can get credit for any patrol-spawned mob, regardless of who spawned it. So if you wandered into a mob spawned by someone else (maybe they had to run or they got killed) and you land a hit of some kind on it and it's defeated, you'll get merit for it even though you weren't around when it spawned.

Q) do you need the killing blow to get merit?
A) Nope, as long as you're On Patrol, the mob is a patrol-spawned mob (regardless of who spawned it), and you've landed some kind of hit/maneuver/etc. on the mob, you'll get merit when it's defeated.

Q) do you need damage credit to get merit?
A) Not strictly damage - things like dirty tricks or spell effects or anything else that counts for Experience gains credit also count for merit credit. (incidentally, if there are any effects that don't count but probably should, please do report them with the BUG command in-game or if you're unsure, you can suggest it here in this thread.)

Q) does it not matter just as long as it dies, period, you'll get merit?
A) If you didn't manage to land anything on it, you won't get merit.

TL;DR: If you're On Patrol, and the mob was spawned by someone who was On Patrol, and you landed some kind of hit/debuff/effect on it, then you should get merit for it when it's defeated (including if it flees and despawns, but not if it despawns from being neglected).
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Serity

Post by Serity »

Sorry for all the questions, it was supposed to be more multiple-choice than anything... but thank you for clearing that all up! That's probably the cleanest and most straight-forward way to do it.

Now I'm just imagining a patrol going for a pub crawl, starting south, then west, up to Valeria, Mistral, down the east side-- ah, we don't have one for Stormholdt... and they're just slaying all the bad guys while totally drunk and playing music all the way. It's a pretty fun image.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Could weapons dropped by patrols despawn like corpses? I would say random encounters in general, but we aren't despawning the corpses for all random encounters, unless I misread it.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Prism

Post by Prism »

So, there’s a particular silk tabard with a mongoose on it that was available at a previous festival.

Any chance they could retroactively be given this functionality?
"The sky, above the clouds; A rainbow that fate has devoured
I gave up Hope
But I'm not going to be lost tomorrow; Even if it is hell
I'm gonna' crawl. "
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Gorth wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:53 pm Could weapons dropped by patrols despawn like corpses? I would say random encounters in general, but we aren't despawning the corpses for all random encounters, unless I misread it.
Good call, this is now a thing. If such an item gets picked up, it will remove the auto-poof property - in case someone actually wants to pick up one of those dropped weapons for whatever reason. (And we are indeed despawning all random encounter corpses (and now weapons), not just patrol-spawned ones.)

Prism wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:15 pm So, there’s a particular silk tabard with a mongoose on it that was available at a previous festival. Any chance they could retroactively be given this functionality?
These patrolman's tabards have a specific emblem on them that signifies active patrol duty, not just the standard organization's emblem. So you can wear your normal emblem tabard proudly without having to deal with tons of encounters. Maybe higher ranks could allow the purchase of fancier patrol tabards, though!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Would it be weird in character to say, put the design on another tabard via restring? So I can patrol while flying Undm's colors.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Coming in with some input.

It is trivially easy to get merit with this. I don't know how many ranks there are supposed to be, nor how much the rank-up cost scales, but my suggestion would be to both lower merit awards and also only give you a single dose of merit upon an entire encounter's worth of enemies being defeated.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Also, I've noticed that humanoid encounters can load in with above the cap in Melee, Dodge, Ranged or Shield Block. Is this intended? I would imagine not.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Horses can steal merit. If they kill a mob with a kick or trample, I don't get any merit. Which is fine. Just figured I'd mention it. I don't know if they also steal if you trigger the attack yourself, but I don't see why they wouldn't.
Jilliana

Post by Jilliana »

Gorth wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:45 pm Horses can steal merit. If they kill a mob with a kick or trample, I don't get any merit. Which is fine. Just figured I'd mention it. I don't know if they also steal if you trigger the attack yourself, but I don't see why they wouldn't.
I came here to mention the horse stealing merit thing.

I do feel that we should get the merit if our horses trample/kick an encounter. It's particularly noticeable if we tend to do patrols by ourselves and that lack of merit can add up and I'm riding the horse, after all.
(Rias says, "Happiness is accepting your past as part of who you are.")