Dodge replacers non-functional vs maneuvers

For technical bugs that merit special attention or discussion. (Please use the BUG command in-game first to report the bug.)
Serity

Dodge replacers non-functional vs maneuvers

Post by Serity »

I've already submitted a bug report on this (#10474) and it's only been a couple days, but I'd like to shine a spotlight on this because it's a rather important problem for several archetypes if it's unintended.

Dodge replacers such as Graceful Dodge (85% acrobatics, warriors and adventurers), Coward's Contingency (100% stealth, rogues, bards, treasure hunters) and Cunning Dodge (75% artifice, rogues, bards, treasurer hunters) seem to be non-functional against maneuvers like Sweep, and likely other abilities that rely on Dodge rolls for defense (though I'm not really eager to go around testing this in the areas where enemies would use such skills). As it is, you end up at your Dodge skill for these sorts of defenses, which may be zero for some builds, causing such abilities to just utterly wreck your day the moment one's used.

I can't find anywhere in the helpfiles that suggests this is intended behavior (between combat, dodge, and the relevant abilities' files), since the wording in the help files are that they replace your dodge roll and dodge skill, though I will note that Tactical Dodge explicitly mentions that ability only works on normal attacks and not maneuvers.

If it is intended behavior, a note in the appropriate helpfiles (dodge and the other abilities) would be appreciated so it's clear that you can't just go without dodge.

edit: Actually, I think Sweep may be the only maneuver with a specifically-noted dodge roll (shield bash and shield charge don't, unsure what grapple uses), but if future abilities get added with such, this'll likely also be an issue.