Town militias: Shadgard Coydogs and the Mistwatch

Discussion of the various minor outposts out there.
Candelori

Town militias: Shadgard Coydogs and the Mistwatch

Post by Candelori »

In times past each town had a branch of the militia that players could join: Shadgard's Coydogs, and Mistral Lake's Mistwatch. I believe seeing these return would present an opportunity for players to feel more invested in their home towns. In our discussion about it on chat it was suggested that there be a public ledger instead of badges in order to dispel any expectation of authority associated with these volunteer militia units.
My COGG website: https://candelori.neocities.org
You think to yourself, "I am tempted to henceforth refer to this as the Bicker Board."
You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Alicron

Re: Town militias: Shadgard Coydogs and the Mistwatch

Post by Alicron »

It would be a most auspicious arrangement. I concur with this suggestion.
Marcuson

Post by Marcuson »

Citizens of Shadgard who want to aid their settlement during an attack can already do so. I'm less certain about Mistveil Keep's view of the matter.

I'm hesitant to give too much "official" authority to player characters, so I suggest some very limited powers for player characters who are invited to join the militia of Shadgard or the watch of Mistral Lake.

Here are the specific limitations I suggest:
• Being able to make an arrest of someone who has broken the law -- and who would already have triggered NPC guards searching for them and requesting their surrender.
• Being able to commit violence against someone who has attacked a faction NPC in town (guards, citizens, etc) -- and who would have already triggered NPC guards searching for and attacking them.
• Attacking other PCs while in a settlement should be classified as breaking the law, *not* as committing violence.
• The player characters don't get to speak on behalf of town leadership.

With these specific limitations, I would be supportive of this suggestion.
Last edited by Marcuson on Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

As the ledger-suggester, I think this could be a fun thing. The Coydogs/Mistwatch stuff happened after my time on CLOK (or, at least, after my time as someone playing in a city), but just a fun little thing to recognize PCs that regularly help out the militia (and want that recognition) would be a lot of fun, and a cool way to highlight folks helping out.

I don't really think they should have any powers - just have it be an IC title something someone can earn from helping out the militia/guard often enough to warrant it.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Serity

Post by Serity »

Marcuson wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:04 pmCitizens of Shadgard who want to aid their settlement during an attack can already do so. I'm less certain about Mistveil Keep's view of the matter.
There have been canim attacks just outside the gates on patrolling units, as well as, of course, the Liberi attacks on the mines and other random hits on guards here and there. They've always been happy to receive the help. Can't speak to any official capacity, though (almost?) every Mistral guard I've ever seen has been a Pale.
Marcuson wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:04 pmHere are the very limited powers I suggest:
• Being able to make an arrest of someone who has broken the law -- and who would already have triggered NPC guards searching for them and requesting their surrender.
• Being able to commit violence against someone who has attacked a faction NPC in town (guards, citizens, etc) -- and who would have already triggered NPC guards searching for them.
• Attacking other PCs while in a settlement should be classified as breaking the law, *not* as committing violence.
• The player characters don't get to speak on behalf of town leadership.

With these specific limitations, I would be supportive of this suggestion.
These are good ideas, I think.
Maina

Post by Maina »

Even without powers, giving players a title that suggests membership in a military/law enforcement capacity is going to have players acting like they are in the military/law enforcement. Maybe not immediately (though I would place bets on immediately), but definitely down the line when it is no longer new and fresh and new players only have the names to go by unless they go hunting for announcements in the BBS or Discord.

We already have players running around murdering stuff in the name of their respective factions. Giving out titles so they have something to point to that "justifies" it (even if it officially doesn't) is just encouraging behavior I'd like to see less of, not more of.

If it were added, I would want it to be heavily monitored and these players held to a higher standard of not acting on the behalf of their faction unless their faction explicitly supports it, much like the Church faction, and I do not believe we have the GM coverage right now to manage that increased workload.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

I'd like to specify that, to my knowledge, no one is "running around murdering" for their faction. The things which I think you may be speaking of were considered, discarded because people did not want to rock the boat too hard and then reconsidered because roleplay happened.
Maina wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:12 pm Even without powers, giving players a title that suggests membership in a military/law enforcement capacity is going to have players acting like they are in the military/law enforcement. Maybe not immediately (though I would place bets on immediately), but definitely down the line when it is no longer new and fresh and new players only have the names to go by unless they go hunting for announcements in the BBS or Discord.
Maybe I am nearsighted. What's the problem with this, exactly? If someone does something stupid because they think they have immunity to law, they will get slapped down. Plain and simple. Just like the military.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Candelori

Post by Candelori »

My expectations for these groups did not include any legal authority. I have seen such situations turn sour very quickly and I feel it would risk causing a divide among townsfolk instead of uniting them, splitting citizens into groups of enforcers with authority and civilians who must submit. Perhaps this would fit in Mistral Lake, but I do not believe it would be a good idea.

What I envision is merely a foundation of RP and activity for interested players to rally around and feel supported in, and a way to feel more deeply connected to their town. I envision these volunteer militias performing roles such as emergency response during invasions, and acting as a field unit that can meet threats beyond the town walls that the regular town defense militia would not be able to abandon their posts to do. This is not strictly necessary as players can and do perform these roles already, but I do believe it could do much to help players feel more invested in their town and more likely to organize and unite in such situations instead of acting as a less organized mass of individuals all acting without much in the way of cohesiveness.

If there is too great a risk of players interpreting membership as some manner of superior status, perhaps I will consider founding an independent company to this end. I feel this would be lacking in the feeling of town investment and it would be much more difficult to yield participation as I lack the charisma to lead such an organization effectively, but it is at least a Plan B.
My COGG website: https://candelori.neocities.org
You think to yourself, "I am tempted to henceforth refer to this as the Bicker Board."
You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Candelori wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:23 pm If there is too great a risk of players interpreting membership as some manner of superior status, perhaps I will consider founding an independent company to this end. I feel this would be lacking in the feeling of town investment and it would be much more difficult to yield participation as I lack the charisma to lead such an organization effectively, but it is at least a Plan B.
To be fair, I think something with a "neighborhood watch" vibe (which is what a company for this would feel like, I think) would both be a great company, and something I could see cropping up in Shadgard (even if there was already a volunteer militia to join).
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I'm glad there's interest in getting more invested in one's town! I think bringing back these groups with immediate official ties to the towns is probably not viable at the moment, just because of the expectations that would result from that kind of thing. We're a very small team and don't have the resources to be guiding too many organizations, or keeping an eye on them and whether their behaviors would be officially condoned by the towns. We're still trying to get the currently-planned lineup of organizations off the ground.

I think forming a Company to this purpose is a great idea, with potential for the Company getting the town's blessing and maybe even official recognition down the line if it proves to be a good fit and its members responsible and mature enough. I know it'd be a slower start to the idea, but I think it'd be really cool and feel nice and organic.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO