The new permit for the 2Falls mine

A mining settlement and haven for freedom-seeking exiles, recently beginning to embrace gas and steam technologies.
deborah

The new permit for the 2Falls mine

Post by deborah »

Hello everyone. So my character has been constructing supports for the 2falls mine, a mine now kept by the Dominion. Now, of course, if she, citizen of Shadgard, builds up supports, the Dominion would benefit as well, and to be truely honest, paying for building things in a place that can be used by everyone is not that profitable!
What do you think about making such a sistem, for example, that if someone issues sucha building service for mining support, they are granted free access to the mine, because in the end, everyone will be reducing the durability of said structures, and everyone will be taking advantage of said service?
Now, IC I don't know any way to get in touch with the most important ones of each town, but perhaps we could come to a good solution from here, and then bring everything IC.
Marcuson

Re: The new permit for the 2Falls mine

Post by Marcuson »

Good observations, Deborah. I would suggest raising the issue with people in-character, since the events at Two Falls Mine are part of the overarching narrative that's unfolding between the Mistveil Dominion and Shadgard.
adresin

Post by adresin »

I think her point was not really knowing how to bring it up IC. After all, there's only so much chatting on the esp network can do.

On a similar note, I would love to know from staff if the fact that shad citizens buying a permit lasts more than a day is a bug, or if things at the mine weren't completely updated. When I first got a permit a couple weeks back, one message said it was for a day and another said 30 days. I went back this last saturday and attempted to buy a permit, only to discover that I still had one.

Now, I'm not complaining, believe me. 500 is a bit steep for a single day, especially as some people may not have the ability to be playing for hours at a time. Still, it was/is rather confusing and clarification would be useful since the specifics are being discussed IC. If it is a bug, maybe a compromise would be we get it for a week while the dominion folks get the 30 days?
Marcuson

Post by Marcuson »

I'm speaking only for myself, here, but the way I play COGG is that I never have the expectation that the GMs will be paying attention to my characters, reacting to my characters, or developing plans for my characters. My characters just do things; anything else is gravy. I think that philosophy has taken me pretty far in COGG and helped with not being frustrated at the sometimes-slow pace.

My characters are individual actors entangled in a much larger web of possibilities -- especially for situations that involve factions or that have broad implications -- and I understand that my capacity to change things will frequently be limited. (Plus, there are all sorts of other considerations, such as the real-life obligations that staff have.)

As for being able to contact important NPCs, my understanding is that NPCmail led to a number of problems in CLOK where players were left thinking they could demand attention from NPCs, and I believe the staff would prefer to avoid those issues in COGG.

However, our characters can still discuss the matter amongst themselves, write letters to other PCs, hold meetings, post on the boards, think, pray, and all that good stuff. The staff do pay attention to those things, even if they don't respond to them.

I think if Deborah's character wants to bring up the issue, posting about it on the boards is a good place to start.

The mine permit thing sounds like a bug and should probably be reported -- I haven't messed around with it myself. It does sound pretty steep, though!