Rias
DEV

Church of Light Steps Out of Shadows

Post by Rias »

THE COALITION CHRONICLE
Septum 15, 1223

Headline: Church of Light Steps Out of Shadows
Journalist: Roheen Reza

Word is traveling fast about proclamations being found posted in several Central Lost Lands outposts. The Church of Light is being very clear that it is no longer content to shelter quietly in the shadows as it has done since the rise of the Mistveil Dominion. Not only does the Church make some strong accusations against the Dominion, but they go on to defy the King of Ivial as well by refusing to disband their local order of Templar. The full text of the proclamation reads as follows:
Let this proclamation mark the end of these past years of hiding and restraint among members of the Church of Light. Our peaceful attempts to mollify the Mistveil Dominion have been ignored. Despite disbandment of our Orders, our people have continued to be unjustly stalked, harassed, hunted, and stolen away. Nevertheless, we can no longer allow our service of the needful people of the Lost Lands to be impeded by intimidation.

The Order of Monks of the Soul's Fire is reestablished, and the monks will once again serve the people openly.

The Templar of the Lost Lands defy the Viali king's order to disband, though no longer claim the title of Knight and will never again suffer themselves to be bound to king or noble.

The Church of Light stands forthrightly in the service of the people and in defiance of oppression and tyranny. We ask for the support of those who are willing and able, and give gratitude to those who have pledged to speak and act in our defense against unjust persecution. May we all work together to make a better and safer Lost Lands.
Reactions to this bold proclamation thus far appear to be mixed, being generally favorable in the south and markedly less so in the north. Requests have been made to speak with officials both in the Mistveil Dominion and in Shadgard, the latter being known for housing one of the more prominent chapters of the Church of Light in the Central Lost Lands. A Chronicle contact was able to catch Brother Elad Dimmes of the Church of Light in Shadgard for comment:

"Since the rise of the Dominion, several of our members have been abducted. I say 'abducted' and not 'arrested' because there was no legal right for the Dominion or its bounty hunters to take them away. Regardless of whether someone believes it is right for the Dominion to issue arrest warrants or bounties for members of the Church on little more than blanket suspicions of our organization aiding those who are fleeing or disagreeing with their regime, this does not give them the legal right to arrest anyone anywhere in the world. We disbanded our Orders and many went into hiding out of fear, all in the hope that the Dominion would no longer consider us the threat they seem to think we are. After years of the Dominion showing no sign of letting up on their harrassment and abduction of our members, some of our people have come to the conclusion that if we are going to suffer and be attacked regardless, those of us who wish to do so may as well return to acting openly and serving the people to our full capability. We who choose to do so are aware of the risks and the dangers, but we won't be kept from our sworn duties to serve the people any longer."

When asked who it was that had pledged to "speak and act in [the Church of Light's] defense against unjust persecution", the monk said that it was up to those people to identify themselves when they chose to do so.

A server in Shadgard's Hearth & Home Inn had this to say: "Shadgard has felt a bit darker and less secure the past few years; it just wasn't the same without the Monks and Templar we'd grown accustomed to having around, always ready to help the people out. There were never very many of them, but they were always there. It's been exciting to see some of those familiar faces in town the past few days!"

What may follow in the wake of this proclamation has yet to be seen. Whatever happens, the Chronicle will be there to collect the facts and keep the people of the Central Lost Lands informed.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Karjus

Re: Church of Light Steps Out of Shadows

Post by Karjus »

Haiban next?
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Knowing the Coalition, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried again! The Dunwyr have their skewers and marshmallows ready.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

Awesome. I'm sure a lot of people will love that.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Will any of the helpful(s) mentioning the templars be updated to reflect recent events? I ask mostly because I am kind of confused.

Thaumatergy is the occult. Shadgard obviously doesn't mind it as much as Arcana, or similar, but is it just whatever everyday stuff? I can't imagine so, right? Now that this stuff is apparently starting to take off, I think it might be worth laying these sorts of things out.

How active were the Templars before the rebellion? Did everyone view there healing as standard and nothing to be worried about? Is it appropriate for someone with these powers to be open about them, still?

I imagine that I can answer the last one, though. To my understanding, it isn't a free world for thaumaterges. The Dominion still is the Dominion. But I don't know. I might just be super wrong. I admit I've been having a bit of whiplash over it due to my asumptions that we would never be seeing thaumatergy.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Update:

After a bit of digging, some of my questions are a little answered here, but I'd still be interested in knowing if there is anything else worth noting. Specifically for those whom it affects the most.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Do you mean the helpfiles/wiki articles? They need to be updated to include the recent proclamation, yep.

Shadgard doesn't have any problem with thaumaturgy. It's been performed openly in the past in their infirmary, chapel, and elsewhere around town, and I'd say the prevailing general consensus is that the townsfolk are glad to be seeing it around town again. The Templar in our local Lost Lands area were always few in number (we're talking low, maybe mid double digits (mostly due to player characters, not NPCs)), but the ones who were around were historically openly present and active until they started mysteriously disappearing during the rise of the Mistveil Dominion. Similarly, the Templar in Ivial and elsewhere in the world were also few in number (relatively speaking - more than those in the Lost Lands though) but openly active, thaumaturgic activity or otherwise, until the messy business with the King accusing them of treason and disbanding them.

Local Templar and other thaumaturges would be worried about the Dominion taking note of them, not Shadgard. But they're clearly determined to not be cowed any longer. In Ivial, any Templar are likely still in hiding or have fled (if not already captured), while thaumaturges in general are suffering increasing reputation woes due to the accusations against the Templar often assuming most if not all thamaturges are "in league" with one another. It's a mess over there.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Navi

Post by Navi »

What can you tell us about their views on the Khesem Nefar? This group is pretty new, unless I missed a big lore drop over the past months. (Not unlikely) Anyway, would prospective members find a home in their ranks, or not? I know there was an anti-nethrim group discussed as a society. With all the upheaval in regards to your plans for COGG, I'm wondering if this is a replacement or some how fitting in with those plans. Anyway, looking forward to a response, as it may have an impact in the development of my characters futures.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

The Khesem Nefar shop was just a fun way to introduce some Rhuidim lore (and nifty items) as part of the Octum festival. They have no association with the Church of Light or Templar, and given the two groups come from cultures with a history of conflict they probably mostly try to avoid one another. That said, it's fun to think about a situation where members of each happen to run into each other working the same case and team up to handle it before giving each other a taciturn handshake and going their separate ways once the situation is resolved.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Navi

Post by Navi »

Alright, thanks for clarifying. I like the idea of the templar of course. Being able to draw upon their compassion to defend those around them is always really cool. Personally, I like the idea of those who embrace their more "tactical" sides. Things like utilizing flame traps, netherbane, iron shackles, and other occult tricks to accomplish the deed. I was hoping that's kind of what this new group were geared towards. I don't think we could ever argue the fact that the templar would be the most effective against the nethrim though. It is just really cool to see a group of people who are aiming for the same goal, but are on the grayer side of things.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again