Animal product rates, filth rates, and brushing

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Rias
DEV

Animal product rates, filth rates, and brushing

Post by Rias »

Per the changelog:
- Most domesticated livestock (notable exceptions being birds) may now be brushed to increase their morale a bit. Some types of livestock may be more difficult to brush without bothering, and some may occasionally have a dangerous reaction to a particularly bad brushing failure.
- The progress of animal product generation (milk, wool, etc.) is now sped up a bit if the animal is experiencing positive morale.
- The progress rate of livestock wool generation has been increased.
- The buildup rate of filth in animal shelters has been reduced.

Livestock needed more care options to let people feel more like they're really taking care of their critters, so brushing has been added as a beneficial activity for Animal Husbanders: doing so will make things a bit better, but not brushing won't make things any worse than they would normally be. With the addition of another task to keep up on for animals, this felt like a good time to turn down the animal filth rate a bit. Brushing animals also gives some experience and skill practice to those with the Animal Husbandry skill, which should be especially nice for people starting out with the skill and wanting to skill up more frequently.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Jilliana

Re: Animal product rates, filth rates, and brushing

Post by Jilliana »

Yay for less poop! Thank you! :)
(Rias says, "Happiness is accepting your past as part of who you are.")
Spidercat

Post by Spidercat »

hey, thanks for ticking down the poop storm with some animals. It was always a struggle keeping those sheds clean.

Though, for the new skill. Since it partiallly uses animal husbandry, can we have the ability learnable at the stockades as well as stableyards?
tulpa

Post by tulpa »

This is a well considered change, I'm hopeful so far!

I hope it encourages harvesting and selling of unprocessed resources, especially by those characters who have chosen Animal Husbandry as their specialty rather than as a way to be a self-sufficient tailor, leatherworker etc. It rewards skill point investment without penalising players who just want to dip their toes in.

I don't feel I need to obsessively brush just to have things ticking along; if I want to go ape on wool production one week and slack off the next, that's an option. Plus I'm more likely to consider selling all my crates of wool if production levels ramp up, with prices and demand falling in proportion.