New Primalist ability: Beastskin

Seekers of knowledge, from physickers to alchemists to occultists.
Rias
DEV

New Primalist ability: Beastskin

Post by Rias »

Primalists now have access to the new Beastskin ability! And they don't have to share it with anyone else! Info can be found by clicking on this link to the wiki article or by typing HELP BEASTSKIN in-game. This is a human-developed ritual, so it's found right in the Primalist training area rather than out in some mysterious secret location.

I'm really excited about this one! It's a fairly simple effect and certainly not a unique idea, but I think it'll go a long way to giving Primalists more of their unique feel and aesthetic. It's also fun having things that have an obvious visual effect that everyone else is going to notice. (Fun fact: it keeps the specific color of the fur/scales from the beast you draw on.) More reinforcement for Primalists running around with minimal apparel for that whole Wild Ones feel, though do please refrain from going completely naked: loincloths and chest-wraps don't interfere with any druidry or skin-exposure-reliant effects. Combine it with a certain hidden druidry ability to bring the whole "beast-person" look together!

If there are any other beasts out there that aren't skinnable or don't work with this ability that probably should, please do send a bug report in-game with the BUG command. And do so as well for any oddities with the spell; it took a lot of code finagling to get it to work right. I'm also hoping to release a few more beasts into the wild that are compatible with this, just so there can be more options and variety available.

There are other Primalist-only abilities still in the development pipe, but this is the one I was most excited about just for its strong value of giving Primalists more of their unique look, feel, and vibe. GO WILD, Primalists!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Re: New Primalist ability: Beastskin

Post by Lexx416 »

I think the ability is missing the syntax/Usage line we usually see just before the skill/affinity info - but this ability looks really cool! :)
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Lexx416 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:14 pm I think the ability is missing the syntax/Usage line we usually see just before the skill/affinity info
Whoops! Added the usage info, good catch.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Volinn

Post by Volinn »

Very cool! Love it.
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

Does it work with bone plates?
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
notgreg

Post by notgreg »

This is extremely cool!

It would be neat if it could be cast with just the skin, maybe requiring higher Druidry and using up the item. It could create a little bit of a secondary market for hunters and another small riln sink.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

notgreg wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:09 am This is extremely cool!

It would be neat if it could be cast with just the skin, maybe requiring higher Druidry and using up the item. It could create a little bit of a secondary market for hunters and another small riln sink.
I think it'd be cool if pelts/scales could be used, but had to be taken to an NPC or special room to be prepared (maybe in the Primalist area of Qamar, or a special room nearby in the outdoor area of Qamar) with special herbs or some kind of special oil that you can buy from the Primalist room in their room in Qamar (and were still used up/destroyed by casting the ritual at them).
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I considered allowing the use of pelts for this, but I wanted it to be more of a personal experience with the Primalist coming face to face with the beast (and any risks that might entail), rather than a casual side trip to the market for some pelts.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO