Turn down the Random Encounter chances!

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Bonehead

Turn down the Random Encounter chances!

Post by Bonehead »

Title. Feels like any time I set for outside of Shadgard, I'm getting attacked. Either seconds after I start traveling, or before I reach my destination. I get the lost lands is dangerous, but MAN it's crazy out there.
Wut?
Delphine

Re: Turn down the Random Encounter chances!

Post by Delphine »

I just wanted to sound off that I like the current random encounter chances and would honestly be okay with more. But I recognize that I'm coming from the place of a combat character who enjoys an opportunity to be like U WOT M8 and stab a Liberi who decided to feck around and find out.

In Conclusion: Even if random encounter chances are tweaked, can I get a special, "I champion an arch-daemon of war; COME AT ME, BRO," flag that doesn't decrease my random encounter chances? :lol:
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

Throw me in as not currently finding it an issue, though I occasionally wonder why on earth some of these things are attacking Black. I seem to end up having to send a think of "What an idiot" more than usual when I do something. But as Delphine mentioned, combat character.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
artus

Post by artus »

I guess I'm lucky looking like a mess almost all the time and getting it less often, but when I'm normal, I do get it. It's also noticeably more often around Shadgard with bird stuff. (and bury your birds, people.:p)
There's a talk on chat a while ago about encounter chances isn't as random as it seems. Not sure about that. But those birds definitely appear far too often. They're understandingly not the types to care about how much of a mess people are, but well...
Ephemeralis

Post by Ephemeralis »

Part of me wants to say 'turn it up'...
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

I, too, am comfortable with the current frequency of random encounters. My main is a stealth and locksmithing-focused character, who does have enough combat skill to deal with most encounter mobs. That said, I will reiterate something I saw and liked on a different thread. It would be neat, for flavour's sake, if the likelihood of being attacked were reduced near a certain area that had many of its residents recently killed off by PCs.

Edited to suggest adding about half a dozen bandages to the new character starter kit. I'm aware that it's something you can easily buy, but so is everything else in that old ragged backpack. And newbies got lots of expenses!
Last edited by Frisbee on Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
ThresherAle

Post by ThresherAle »

I've enjoyed them on my warrior character, and I'm looking for some jewelry to wear just to try to get more frequent encounters. Gotta draw out those badguys and put them in their place. On my main who's a drinker and not a fighter, it's been effective so far to just keep on walking. What about them makes you want the chances turned down?
A black entity asks, "What goal is that?"
A sunset-orange entity says, "Gettin you to take a bath."
A black entity says, "I look forward to one of these boxes blowing up in your face."
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

Eh, more annoyance on Hoss if I'm honest. It's surprise! Ok, fight. Dismount unless I want to be staggered half the time and make the fight longer then it needs to be. And when it's done either zoom past or dismount anyway to bury em.

On a lowbie I noticed it's any delivery outside Shadgard. Ravens. Squirrels. Bandits. It's like...come on now. I travel, looked away, came back damaged because I passed a bandit who bonked my head as I passed by.

Hey, it's easy when you can breeze past the content. And maybe it will serve as a riln sink for mercenaries, or give the Wyrvardn something to do too.

But on a new toon with no money that has to Deliver a package to Mistral? Meh. People can say ask for help, and MUD's are a social game. But, sometimes, just sometimes, I want to play a character to be left alone, craft, and meaninglessly contemplate my life, the universe, and maybe reread the Cogg wiki lore.

Reviewing all that, I'd say it successfully does the job it's designed to do. And yet I still can't help but find it annoying that anytime I leave Shadgard I can count on being attacked either by Ravens at the Crossroads, or by Infested at the next crossroads, and very rarely if not by then? Going to Mistral it's certainly gonna be bandits.

I'm sure there is a timer, and I might be exaggerating based off my feels. But it does *feel* like anytime it's time to leave town, an attack is going to happen. Now, considering the point of view from a non-combat character. Gotta make a delivery? Hope you can run quick! My guess is some will opt stay in town, because traveling is too much of a hassle if you know for certain your gonna have something poke at you, and who knows if there is a mercenary for hire, and available, or a Wyrvardn for hire, or available.

That's just my two cents though .
Wut?
artus

Post by artus »

I do notice it doesn't happen when you're hidden, like at all. The only times it happens to me is whenever I'm out in the open. May be it's because of this that I managed to avoid randoms for like ever when I kept looking for it for soundpack test, and now I encounter it more often deliborately walking in plain sight on the road.
ThresherAle

Post by ThresherAle »

Bonehead wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:05 amBut on a new toon with no money that has to Deliver a package to Mistral? Meh. People can say ask for help, and MUD's are a social game. But, sometimes, just sometimes, I want to play a character to be left alone, craft, and meaninglessly contemplate my life, the universe, and maybe reread the Cogg wiki lore.
My main may as well be new when it comes to combat, and I've been able to walk past the encounters when traveling across the map. Sometimes I do get hit before I can get away and have to get patched up the next time I'm in town. The main thing it's changed for me is that I've taken to wearing a leather cuirass more often which isn't my style, but better safe than sorry. Want to buy fitted cuirass I can hide under my shirt. Or a duster that counts as armor.
A black entity asks, "What goal is that?"
A sunset-orange entity says, "Gettin you to take a bath."
A black entity says, "I look forward to one of these boxes blowing up in your face."