Failsafe and command timer recognition

For technical bugs that merit special attention or discussion. (Please use the BUG command in-game first to report the bug.)
artus

Failsafe and command timer recognition

Post by artus »

This is a very odd bug and I honestly struggle to explain how it seems to work. I don't know if it's evena bug to begin with, but since I can't really do anything else on my end to resolve this, I'm putting it out here for consideration and looking into, if possible. It's long, so the bug command doesn't really work.

So the server has ping as a feature to keep connections alive, and it's supposed to do so with no problem anyway if you, let's say, set a script timer for it to fire every five minutes or something so your weak connection doesn't drop. Thing is, it doesn't seem to work as well as it should without problem.
My infamously problematic soundpack has this feature to toggle keepalive on or off to keep people's weak connection alive. I kept it off, but turned it on by default in the latest test update thinking it'd work smoothly. Turns out, people including myself get too many commands popping up here and there, seemingly both in inn rooms and login screen, especially login screen. I turned on command echo in mushclient to detect what commands were sent to trigger that. Turned out, it was just one single ping once every five minutes. With this timing, there shouldn't be too many commands. Recently, specifically after I accidentally spammed esp in my sleep, it became even worse. People, me included again, get kicked out of the mud while idling at the log in screen randomly for some reason.
I've been trying to tackle this thing for months with no way to do so, and I suspect it may not be client side bug anymore. I did everything from turning on and off spam prevention, turned off keepalive and make it ping by default, changed the script in keepalive. Nothing solved it.
If you don't mind, please have a look into command timing or whatever and see if there's anything a miss here. There may be something that makes it happen.
Rias
DEV

Re: Failsafe and command timer recognition

Post by Rias »

I think I may have found why this could have been happening. Let me know if it still happens!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
artus

Post by artus »

Thank you for helping out in the matter. It doesn't give too many commands anymore. What it does instead is kick me out of the game randomly while I'm afk, sometimes in my room and often times outside. I'm not sure if it does when I'm at the account screen though and it definitely doesn't when I rp, only afk.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

This is very likely simply an internet thing. The game will not hold portal connections if your internet fails. Happens to a lot of people who have large roundtrip times when they stop sending packets.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
artus

Post by artus »

It's definitely not that because my keep alive script is on, unless the four minute timer is no longer enough to sustain the connection. It never happened before the adjustment. I've seen it happened at least three times today.
artus

Post by artus »

Sorry for doubleposting: let me change the timer and see if it fixes anything. If three or even two minutes still does that then it's definitely something else.