I love this game.

Give your fellow roleplayers some kudos.
Prism

I love this game.

Post by Prism »

It's ya' boy, refracting crystal light man, here with another mouthful of praise, because i'm a big ol' softy.

Look, guys. I'll just restate the obvious, here.

I. Love. This. Game.

Lately, in particular, I've just felt like I've had so much to do here in a great way. I've had so much excitement to log on when I can't, and it only gets better and better with every passing day. the changes, both retroactive and otherwise, have just had this.. Substantive effect. I feel it, and I know i'm not the only one who does. There's a buzz in the air inside the lost lands right now, and it's hard not to want more of it. The player-to-player RP has been great. The community events and projects, both player-run and otherwise, have been equally amazing. The mechanical changes have literally made me go, "YO. WHAT?" out loud more than once in a good way when I'm.. Not even home. Sitting in my car, randomly seeing discord, that kind of thing. It instantaneously makes me want to stop being an adult with responsibilities and COGG up.

Keep in mind I'm literally saying this after spending the last day in-game cutting down trees and processing them into long hewn timbers, which used to, arguably, be one of the most time-intensive, effort-intensive, frustrating experiences in the game. (That's no longer the case, by the way.) I mean-- hell, guys. In the last month alone, we've had big community projects launch and conclude, player-run and otherwise, we had the festival wrap up, we had a full on formal ball, we've had multiple large scale group expeditions planned, and executed-- And this says nothing about all of the stuff that happens in between.

One thing I want to stress, though, is the aspect of this community that I think feels the best about it.

I, and I believe a fair few others, feel like we matter. Like we're heard, and like our opinions have merit. This sounds small, but it's really, really not. I feel like I have genuine agency here. And on a purely OOC level? I feel like I always have someone on my side. Let me share a brief personal story without using any names, just to illustrate this.

So, when I started here-- I was here for a few months before Clok shut down, and Cogg really kicked into gear. Suffice to say, in the immediate period after the shut down, for a variety of reasons, I wasn't really feeling so great about myself. To simplify an extremely complicated situation; I felt like I ruined a good thing, and like I took something from folks.

Without this topic turning into that-- please don't let this topic turn into that-- It bares mentioning that the staff here, without me saying a word, without me asking, or insinuating that I was in a weird place, without any hesitation, spotted me log in at the first opportunity they could, pulled me aside, and said, "Hey, man. We love you. You're a great guy. You're always welcome here, and that's never going to change. Thanks for coming along for the ride."

I'll break my own rule and say Rias, specifically, did this having BARELY ever interacted with me in the past. Not for lack of desire-- just for lack of crossing paths. He'd heard a few things about me, I'd heard a ton about him, but we'd never really actually interacted until that point. Not outside of brief and early Cogg discord voice chats, at any rate. The reason I state this is because at the time, he had every reason to be wary of me in the extreme and point the finger at me as someone he didn't want in his community. He had that right, and that power. And that's not what he did, because of course he didnt; Anyone who's had a single conversation with the guy knows he wouldn't do that. But it needs said, regardless, because we've all met someone that would've never given me a chance.

That mattered to me.. A lot. So I wanted to say: You matter here, folks. I am not a monolith in this regard. This is the attitude that every single player is met with, here. It doesn't matter how you RP, it doesn't matter what side you're on, whether you're here for five minutes, five years, or you've been here from way back in the beginning. Whether you played clok or not, Whether you have an OOC presence or not, whether you have an IC presence or not, if you're here-- and you log in every now and again, or drop a line on the discord, or whatever. You're valued. Remember that.

Okay, now that I've gotten that out of my system, some more pointedly directed comments are in order.

Rias: From the bottom of my heart, thank you. For doing what you do, being the guy you are, and being the admin you are, as well. You consistently pour your heart and soul into this thing, and it SHOWS. It shows SO HARD. It's a love and a passion-- both for the world, and for the code itself-- that's honestly inspiring. It helped shatter my own writer's block to pieces. Without me rambling on forever? You literally have given me -years- of experiences and memories with folks i'd have otherwise never interacted with. What more can I say aside from thank you? Nothing quite hits the mark. We appreciate you. And no matter what you do, we'll always appreciate you. The more I get to know you, the more I love ya', man. I'm glad you're who you are, and that I found your game.

The Event Staff, Rillulth and Ansarian: You guys both know that a lot of what's said above applies to the two of you, as well. You're amazingly creative, extremely passionate and down to earth kind folks who I couldn't imagine not knowing, at this point. I love you as staff members. I love you as characters. I love you as friends. Thank you, sincerely, for all of the great times. And even more sincerely for making me work for it, and for never pulling your punches on me. If anything-- I will continue, as I always do, to encourage you both to punch harder. As it's where you shine most prominantly. Keep being yourselves, and thank you. Seriously. You don't hear it enough. I could ramble on for an eternity about you guys, but i'll spare you, because Vodr knows I'll never shut up. I'll end it with.. I can't believe we're all parents now. Serafina's Torch we're old.

The rest of the Staff, and the players whom I can't call out personally without taking an eternity to write this thread and inevitably forget someone who'll be sad:

Do I even need to say it? Really? Do I? Okay.

I love your characters. I love your writing. I love your senses of humor, and your curiosity, and your insight, and all of the facets of yourselves that have become a part of your presences in-game. I love the RP, I love the transparently great times we have both IC and OOC, and I encourage you all to keep pouring yourselves into this thing the way you do. I know it's just a game. I know it's just a hobby. But if it brings you as much joy as it brings me? (And pain. We can't have joy without pain) Then please, do it. Because you guys make this whole experience an unforgettable one by being a part of it.

Okay, now everybody please stand up and pat yourselves on the back. Then sit back down, because.. You shouldn't listen to me. I'm a bad influence. Thank you all for your time and indulgence of my random praise.

Okay, I'm done. I've waxed and waned like a crying mom at a graduation party. Nothin' to see here. Move along, folks.
"The sky, above the clouds; A rainbow that fate has devoured
I gave up Hope
But I'm not going to be lost tomorrow; Even if it is hell
I'm gonna' crawl. "
artus

Re: I love this game.

Post by artus »

A very wholesome post for my morning. A lot of things here are well said, better than I could personally word, and also what I'm sure pretty much everyone wants to say the same. The community here is awesome. Everyone is awesome. And now you, Prism, are awesome, for making this topic about everyone being awesome.

I may have hard a lot of ups and downs going on around here especially this year, but it doesn't make the game any less lovely. Instead, it does make it even more. You guys know how to make everyone feel valued and worthy of something here. And hey, Prism, you're not alone there man witht the writer's block. I've been using Clok/cogg for my entire 8 years to test and polish ideas and make tangible something. It doesn't always work out, of course, but it does generate more and more for you. Way to go, fellow writer!

Love you, and everyone all around.
Jilliana

Re: I love this game.

Post by Jilliana »

Thanks Prism for posting this.

As someone who thought I'd never see this world again, returning has been like finding an old friend who has grown a bit wiser and much more laid-back. I love that Rias and staff have managed to keep the core of the world while giving Cogg its own identity.

Cogg has some way to go to feel completely settled, but that's more than okay because everything else is so good. I never fail to find good RP, and it's some of the best RP I've experienced since starting my gaming journey over 10 years ago.

I do feel like the Cogg world is a lot more flexible and easier to move around in, and not in the physical sense. I feel like events are much more malliable. Our character's actions and words matter - from the mundane to the serious. I've only been playing Cogg for about two months and I already feel like I've made some kind of impact, but I'm not sure how that has happened. I'm okay with this.

I certainly take note and appreciate how so many people weave the lore through aspects of their story and roleplay. It sounds corny, but it's rather inspiring and challenges me to think beyond my character's basic background.

Anyways. Glad for the opened door to be able to express my gratitude to the staff and my fellow players.
(Rias says, "Happiness is accepting your past as part of who you are.")