Random Encounters!

A place where new features are announced and discussed. (Feature suggestions go in the suggestions topic.)
Firerose

Re: Random Encounters!

Post by Firerose »

IT's a riding horse. I keep forgetting about brushing. When I remember, I'm worried I'll lower its morale, not raise it.
Nahala has 200 in riding as well, but I feel like she gets knocked off a lot of the time.
I'll try brushing. And training more. Lots and lots of training.
Is it needed every day? Good habit to get into regardless, but I'd still like to know. :)
Squeak

Post by Squeak »

I don't believe, despite the messaging, that bad rolls reduces morale. I've no way to verify, though.

As to the mount call, Rias' BBS post about Basic Mount Care states it can be trained for up to 7 days. I know, for certain, that I have to re-up it every single day (frequently, several times a day), but I'm guessing it's because I haven't sat down and trained him enough for it to stick. I'll have to test it over the weekend and see what happens.
Marcuson

Post by Marcuson »

Firerose wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:35 pm1. Horse gets spooked, I get thrown off.
2. Horse runs away, and I end up having to ask someone who is faster (or sighted, depending on the person) to help me find said horse.
3. I then have to find the way back to the road, not always easy when I'm already off it, and wandering aimlessly.
I sympathize with your frustration. I also don't want to be too negative, but I'm not particularly fond of the random encounters; I don't think the feature adds anything fun to the game for players, especially new ones.

I did some experimenting to see what I could do to mitigate falling from my horse, which is my main frustration with random encounters. I got Zotikos's Riding skill up to 300 around the start of October, and he still had problems controlling his horse, even still falling from it. In the end, I decided to put those skill points toward something more useful. Riding horses are a liability instead of an asset, and I recommend that characters buy a mule instead. As Squeak mentioned, the mule's slightly higher Grit value means that it's less likely to be spooked or to throw its riders.

Random encounters are particularly frustrating since Zotikos has enough combat skill to find the hostiles irrelevant -- he wouldn't gain any experience or loot from stopping to fight them -- but because he doesn't have access to War Riding, he can't just buy a war horse, which would at least allow him not to get thrown during an encounter.

For funsies, here's a list of all the times over the past two months that Zotikos has been thrown from his horse. (This list does not include the horse merely being spooked.)

Code: Select all

COGG.20230804.txt     3845     [07:26:25] You fall from your chestnut horse!
COGG.20230804.txt     5331     [07:30:59] You fall from your chestnut horse!

COGG.20230808.txt     15396     [14:18:51] You fall from your chestnut horse!
COGG.20230808.txt     18506     [20:44:29] You fall from your chestnut horse!
COGG.20230808.txt     106361     [06:01:35] You fall from your chestnut horse!

COGG.20230809.txt     69244     [01:57:27] You fall from your chestnut horse!

COGG.20230811.txt     17120     [10:53:09] You fall from your chestnut horse!
COGG.20230811.txt     37101     [15:53:45] You fall from your chestnut horse!
COGG.20230811.txt     43014     [17:41:11] You fall from your chestnut horse!

COGG.20230816.txt     1197     [01:41:46] You fall from your chestnut horse!

COGG.20230824.txt     8495     [00:04:48] You fall from your chestnut horse!
COGG.20230824.txt     17980     [00:35:29] You fall from your chestnut horse!

COGG.20230828.txt     1317     [03:51:30] You fall from your chestnut horse!

COGG.20230902.txt     43259     [22:08:11] You fall from your chestnut horse!

COGG.20230905.txt     61270     [08:52:29] You fall from your chestnut horse!

COGG.20230907.txt     17740     [07:46:36] You fall from your chestnut horse!

COGG.20230908.txt     5783     [03:34:35] You fall from your chestnut horse!

COGG.20230913.txt     27610     [11:54:16] You fall from your chestnut horse!

COGG.20230914.txt     12246     [05:34:54] You fall from your chestnut horse!
COGG.20230914.txt     78884     [21:25:42] You fall from your chestnut horse!

COGG.20230915.txt     10938     [07:42:27] You fall from your chestnut horse!
COGG.20230915.txt     46687     [17:14:39] You fall from your chestnut horse!

COGG.20230921.txt     30318     [17:18:51] You fall from your chestnut horse!

COGG.20231003.txt     21200     [06:47:26] You fall from your chestnut horse!

COGG.20231013.txt     26147     [20:15:51] You fall from your chestnut horse!

COGG.20231015.txt     35735     [17:17:51] You fall from your chestnut horse!
Firerose

Post by Firerose »

@Marcuson, I really feel your frustration. My char's riding is 200. Another is at 100. I'm going to take your advice and get a mule.
That's a lot of times of getting thrown from your horse!

I hope Rias and the team will see Gorth's post about patrols. I don't want it getting lost in all my posts :(
merin

Post by merin »

Yeah mules FTW at this point. :). They went from being one of those animals that were all right (some thought worth it others thought not) to best in the game IMO. Which sucks Horses spensive. I have a suggestion to help this. I think there are various different ways to attack this, but here's a combat centered one that i think people might like. I think it would also bennefit those that hate random encounters while still making it something we've got to deal with. I think the obvious ones (horse training, morale, etc) are covered, so hopefully yall dig this:

Ability: looking for trouble
Learned from: wyrvardn, stormholdt, templar
Marrit requirement: Rank 2
Ability description: It is not only good enough to stop violence on the roads as it happens, but we need someone to search out the worst of it and ensure that they do not mobilize. Fortunetly, we believe you are up to the task of accomplishing both.
Ooc description: * 10-20?% increased random encounter rate on top of the encounter rate gained by wearing your tabbard. * increased chances of mobs matching your skill. * Spot small camps, meeting spots, and other trails off the road (build 3-5 little areas (3-10 rooms each) that spawn x number of enemies (15, 30) at normal spawn rates (or not--maybe they're all there, maybe you have to fight a gauntlet, maybe you have to do something else neat). You find this you walk in you slotter a bit at your skill you leave you get fame. * eliminate random encounters from the area all together for a chime, stackable with four people (each room has a 2 belc ooldown for this effect per player) . I think this is is possible with systems we have. treasure hunters have a cooldown per scavenging room. make this wilderness room wide per player with this ability.

Another addition is to allow for different random encounters. Let physickers have to fix a fracture on the roads (I know, they have infermories). make the on duty metalworkers have to take repairs. Give random encounters to everyone else in some way (i like random encounters myself, though, so i understand why people would riot at this).

Finally for when tasks are a thing: task the <insert thing> has banded together and is <doing thing>.
get 3-5 people to go to <area> and murder a bunch of stuff. Task successful within the time limit? great, no randoms in that whole area for 3 bells. did ya goof it up? great, patrol level encounters for 3 bells that have a tendency to be of the type the players didn't kill.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

merin wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:31 am Ability: looking for trouble
Learned from: wyrvardn, stormholdt, templar
Marrit requirement: Rank 2
Ability description: It is not only good enough to stop violence on the roads as it happens, but we need someone to search out the worst of it and ensure that they do not mobilize. Fortunetly, we believe you are up to the task of accomplishing both.
Ooc description: * 10-20?% increased random encounter rate on top of the encounter rate gained by wearing your tabbard. * increased chances of mobs matching your skill. * Spot small camps, meeting spots, and other trails off the road (build 3-5 little areas (3-10 rooms each) that spawn x number of enemies (15, 30) at normal spawn rates (or not--maybe they're all there, maybe you have to fight a gauntlet, maybe you have to do something else neat). You find this you walk in you slotter a bit at your skill you leave you get fame. * eliminate random encounters from the area all together for a chime, stackable with four people (each room has a 2 belc ooldown for this effect per player) . I think this is is possible with systems we have. treasure hunters have a cooldown per scavenging room. make this wilderness room wide per player with this ability.
Honestly, I think this would be cool as just a task for Stormholdt, and relevant societies (Wyrvardrn, Tse Gaiyan, Templars/Ascetics, etc.). I particularly like the idea that there's a fail-state for not dealing with little camps that spawn this way, especially if it spawns a decent amount of critters to fight. I'd probably either not have a time limit on completion, or make the time limit be about a bell or so. But this sounds like it could be cool group content.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Firerose

Post by Firerose »

I like this task idea! I'd like if Tse Gaiyan were included in this, and maybe a way for its members to do some form of patrolling. Maybe not as much, since for scholars in particular this could be a problem--rangers and berserkers would have the clear advantage here. I don't know what could be done for scholars to not be so easy they get no experience, but also not so difficult they can't kill whatever it is. I know that's relative to skill, but there are some in-between ranges that are hard to figure out.
merin

Post by merin »

The reason I suggest some sort of time limit is so that there is some sort of pressure. I'd hate for someone to take the task, nto find people, wait for three days and try again. I feel like you should have the force before you commit, especially if the task option is taken.

I think there should be two different things: 1 that's a task and the group content and two that's something society based that's tied to patrols. That way if solo players at 3 in the morning want to do some good, then they can hunt for trouble and push down random encounters on the road while fighting at their skill level at the same time. They go looking for hard random encounters for a thrill and help the game out for doing so. If you want to put in a punishment, then, when you die they take some of your stuff (food, riln, maybe your boots or a random piece of armor). Not anything game changing or ruining but enough to where you really have something to lose (let's be real, death is not punishing. I'd rather die than lose my steel sword). If a few friends want to do some good they can roll up, get a task to go and eliminate a small, but mobilizing, threat somewhere and either help or hinder the roads, depending on how they do.

But yes. Totally think Tse Gaiyan can be involved in this.
Candelori

Post by Candelori »

Tasks to better secure safety on the roads would be very welcome for all the reasons previously stated. I would also suggest some means of increasing the time a patrol's effect lasts. I enjoy the ability to patrol and help my fellows have fewer encounters, though fifteen minutes seems perhaps on the short side. This might be something that merit rank can influence.
My COGG website: https://candelori.neocities.org
You think to yourself, "I am tempted to henceforth refer to this as the Bicker Board."
You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Mount brushing will never reduce your mount's morale. The roll failure just interrupts the auto-brushing and increases the mount's brushing fatigue, so fewer chances to continue improving its morale with brushing for a little while as the brushing fatigue ticks back down. That is to say: Brushing a mount will never have a negative result on the mount's morale or performance/mechanics.

The length of Mount Call training is affected by the trainer's Animal Husbandry and, to a lesser extent, Riding skill. Those with more skill will be able to give the mount more training (hence more duration) before Training Exhaustion kicks in, which is essentially a cooldown between trainings for that mount.

Regarding mounts getting spooked, another mount training ability is on its way which should help with that! (But mounts with a better base Grit stat will still fare better, so that should remain a relevant factor to consider when buying a mount.)

Those are some neat ideas for more tasks and encounter stuff! There's some stuff in the pipe for Tse Gaiyan as well, even if they aren't as suited to going out on regular general patrol.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO