Pelt Value

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Karjus

Pelt Value

Post by Karjus »

It would be nice if pelt value wasn't just based on the size of the pelt, but also having a modifier for rarity of the animal.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Rias
DEV

Re: Pelt Value

Post by Rias »

Not a bad idea. Are we talking about animals that have to be tracked/hunted with the HUNT command, or those that spawn automatically and are just out wandering around? Or both? It'd be easier to apply to hunted animals because they have rarity settings, but it's a bit harder to think of how to determine the rarity for something that commonly spawns in a zone.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

Both.

Can't you tie the increase in value to the creature type? Then assumably, the more dangerous the animal type, the higher the value?
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Serity

Post by Serity »

I imagine common spawns are just the baseline (or maybe even a negative modifier), given there's an unending horde of them and there's absolutely no need to spend more than two seconds locating one once you get to the correct area. If it isn't a HUNTed creature, base value.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Serity wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:41 pm I imagine common spawns are just the baseline (or maybe even a negative modifier), given there's an unending horde of them and there's absolutely no need to spend more than two seconds locating one once you get to the correct area.
I like the idea of basing some of the value on the danger level of the creature even for common spawns. But yeah, the fact that they're common in the sense that you can just walk into an area and encounter them rapidly one after the other out in the open, rather than go through the lengthy hunting/tracking process, should probably be factored in somehow for balance reasons.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Marcuson

Post by Marcuson »

I agree in general with Karjus's suggestion. Other potential factors to consider when setting pelt price:

• local availability of those animals
• demand for pelts of that specific animal (rakkan come to mind)
• cooldown on hunting/spawning
• difficulty of reaching area (the rakkan again come to mind, as do wechuge)

One thing I'd like is if leather prices, commensurate with the labor-hours put into making it, were higher than pelt or fur prices at the marketplace.

Scraped hides should not be accepted by the marketplace, nor should anything that is fetid or briny. Only raw pelts, leather, and fur should be trade goods.
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

It would help keep dangerous mobs more viable/interesting for high level mob hunting though. As it is currently, most skinned/huntable mobs cap out at the 400 mark unless you include bison I guess?

And that gets factored in with the fact that skinning them is dangerous. 10 second roundtime, especially if the mobs themselves are dangerous enough to warrant an increase in riln for their pelts, can be no joke. Especially for lightly armored fighters.

EDIT: Which is why sometimes adding more drops to 1 mob also isn't the solution for those situations. Fully skinning something like a wyrm, or fjelbeist, in those zones that tend to swarm really encourages grouping to ensure one person can actually manage to skin everything. Which isn't a bad thing, but then it also really reduces the amount of riln everyone makes.
- Karjus

Prism

Post by Prism »

Rias wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:38 pm Not a bad idea. Are we talking about animals that have to be tracked/hunted with the HUNT command, or those that spawn automatically and are just out wandering around? Or both? It'd be easier to apply to hunted animals because they have rarity settings, but it's a bit harder to think of how to determine the rarity for something that commonly spawns in a zone.

Re: determination of rarity with common skinnable mobs

I might be totally wrong, but could it perhaps be tied to the characteristic that determines the color of the pelt that the mob has? Different colors already have different frequencies of spawning already, from my perception. Snowy-white wechuge is less common than an ashen wechuge, for example.
Feel free to ignore me if I’m totally wrong about this and this is just one of those things that I convinced myself existed that doesn’t actually exist
"The sky, above the clouds; A rainbow that fate has devoured
I gave up Hope
But I'm not going to be lost tomorrow; Even if it is hell
I'm gonna' crawl. "