Dwaedn Vil trail cleared and sign restored

Discussion of the various minor outposts out there.
Rias
DEV

Dwaedn Vil trail cleared and sign restored

Post by Rias »

Northwest of Shadgard, near the edge of the Bluestem Plains, is a trail leading into the Thyrnaland Mountains and the lofty peaks of Naerhiminn Fell. Nestled in a small valley up among these peaks is the village of Dwaedn Vil, home of the legendary warriors and beastmasters of the Dwaedn Wyr.

The entry to this trail had gotten overgrown of late so it had become increasingly overlooked by explorers and travellers, but the trail entrance has been cleared up again. A Dwaedn huntress by the name of Valkari had this to say: "Don't get me wrong, we enjoy our isolation up in the mountains, but we also enjoy getting visitors every now and again. News from down in the lowlands is always appreciated, and the travellers who underestimate the drinks at the Grizzly Den are great entertainment!"

==========

Dwaedn Vil is now on the map! It can be reached via a trail in the mountains northwest of Shadgard, marked by a large rune-carved stone obelisk (and a sign in Common for those who don't read runes). It's a small outpost that will serve as the hub for the Dwaedn Wyr society once societies are released, but there are a few amenities that any visitors can make use of. And hopefully people think it's also just a neat place to visit and hang out at every now and then! (The NPCs don't have dialogue yet, sorry.)

Those with previous experience in Dwaedn Vil will note that the path to get there is quite a bit longer now. I wanted it to feel more properly like a village high up in the mountains. The High Pass leading from Dwaedn Vil to the Rig-Jarl's longhouse is also a bit longer, and some new totems have been added along the trail! The Dwaedn Wyr have been finding new beasts to learn from and respect, and it's not only the big and fearsome ones.

Enjoy, and as always, please report any problems or bugs via the BUG command!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Re: Dwaedn Vil trail cleared and sign restored

Post by Rias »

The trail was a non-obvious exit (whoops), but is now obvious show it'll show up in the Obvious Paths section of a room look. Sorry for the trouble that caused for people who were looking for it!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Verel

Post by Verel »

A question I have about the Dwaednwyr in general. As far as recruitment goes, is it gonna be one of those things where we'll be able to go in and follow some kind of process for recruitment or will it be one of those processes that takes like 3 to 6 months because players and such have to get bback to us to take us through the next step?

Just preparing to see how much patience I'm gonna need to consider. Patience is one of my virtues but I'd rather have a timeline on that kind of thing because if I have to potentially wait half a year, I'm fine with that just figured I'd ask first.

Also, how do they feel about metal armor? Dreadnoughts rely on heavy armor to fight because that's what most of their abilities are made for. Am I gonna have to toss out my set? Will I be beaten up every time I step into the longhouse because I'm wearing metal? Or will it be one of those things that's frowned upon but not outright dismissed as something unworthy?
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

This is a bit belated, however...

My PC recently made the treck up to Dwaedn Vill, and had an amazing time. Needless to say, massive thanks to the other PCs involved, but also to the staff for importing such an iconic area. It did have the same appeal, for me, as it did during my limited Dwaedn days on CLOK. Of course, we're all looking forward to the addition of the fully-fledged society, but until then, it is an amazing tourist destination.

I've only one piece of feedback, and it's got to do with the ambiant messages in the Grizzly Den. I couldn't help but notice that the same things kept happening in the background during my visit, sometimes twice in the span of one minute. I tried to imagine how incredibly loud the place must be, with fist fights breaking out left and right and so many songs starting up one after another, and it seemed pretty crazy. I realise that's the nature of the Dwaedn Wyr summarised, however I wonder whether spacing out their antics a bit would make them more impressive when they do happen, whilst minimising spam at the same time. Just a thought!

Anyway, thank you again for all the work you put into this. Excited to see what happens with it.
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I turned down the frequency of the scripts a bit, but it is supposed to be a noisy and boisterous place!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

The new trails and totems and other adds put it on the level of Stone Canyon for me, which is the highest compliment I can give. Always had a good time staying here and using it as a place to meet up with more civilized people before and that will be an even better time now. The snowshoe hare meal description is great.
"Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy." - Hamlin Garland