Armor Skill & Armor Thoughts

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Karjus

Armor Skill & Armor Thoughts

Post by Karjus »

Just a couple of suggestions regarding armor. I'm aware currently some sort of roll involving it is being considered to help deal with armor chink, but some other thoughts.

A) Armor is heavy, and the new suits of full plate are incredibly heavy. This really hikes encumbrance, and makes Strength seem like even more of a beneficial primary attribute as not only does it directly effect damage but it also indirectly helps defenses. I'd like to see an additional benefit worked in whenever we make an armor check for defenses (Currently all this does is check to see if your offense/defense skills take a hike due to being untrained) where depending on the success of your roll, you potentially ignore some of the penalties to Parry/Block due to encumbrance with a lesser degree to Dodge.

B) Armor wise as it stands right now, full plate might need a minor boost upwards while ridgeleather sees a downgrade. The gap is very minor, and the plate weighs almost twice as much.

C) Tackle should definitely get an armor side-effect, where if you have enough armor skill and wearing heavy armor you start causing minor bludgeon damage on a tackle. It would be nothing shattering, but a nice little flavour thing.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Candelori

Re: Armor Skill & Armor Thoughts

Post by Candelori »

I will add my support to these suggestions with an addendum that the tackle be possible to perform without intent for lasting harm. There are times I might wish to immobilize someone as peaceably as possible without doing damage, but options are limited and I would prefer not to cause additional harm simply by virtue of having my armor on.
My COGG website: https://candelori.neocities.org
You think to yourself, "I am tempted to henceforth refer to this as the Bicker Board."
You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

Just a revisit, as I've finally gotten to play a little with full plate finally.
Karjus wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:45 am A) Armor is heavy, and the new suits of full plate are incredibly heavy. This really hikes encumbrance, and makes Strength seem like even more of a beneficial primary attribute as not only does it directly effect damage but it also indirectly helps defenses. I'd like to see an additional benefit worked in whenever we make an armor check for defenses (Currently all this does is check to see if your offense/defense skills take a hike due to being untrained) where depending on the success of your roll, you potentially ignore some of the penalties to Parry/Block due to encumbrance with a lesser degree to Dodge.
If something like this was worked in, it might even be something to add a benefit to with constitution? Sturdy like an ox, and good endurance so you're used to moving with the weight. Would end up beneficial to everyone, but especially those who favor a heavy armor/tanky roll.
Karjus wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:45 am B) Armor wise as it stands right now, full plate might need a minor boost upwards while ridgeleather sees a downgrade. The gap is very minor, and the plate weighs almost twice as much.
Still feeling this, especially as sometimes due to the weight heavy armor users are going to have to change to ridgeleather anyway. Certain areas are next to impossible to traverse in it, so for something with large penalties it needs to bring the A+ game where it does shine. Admittedly, it protects really well against other things but those are niche circumstances.
Karjus wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:45 am C) Tackle should definitely get an armor side-effect, where if you have enough armor skill and wearing heavy armor you start causing minor bludgeon damage on a tackle. It would be nothing shattering, but a nice little flavour thing.
As per Candelori's thoughts below, he raised something I didn't think of. It could be another style of attack instead of a straight up tackle. Bullrush. Factors could be size, weight carried, armor skill, strength, constitution, and similar. You've got your quick/fast sweep. Your mainstay tackle. The smash Hulk style bullrush. If currently not coded, you could have "fend" effects have a plus/minus based on the style used. Bullrush being the easiest to fend off for example.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

These are neat ideas. I support them!

I think if constitution based characters received a boost towards reducing the impact of heavy armor, it would help with those weight issues towards negative rerolls.

Towards encumberance and certain areas being impossible to traverse in wearing heavy armor. I can imagine climbs are nightmarish. I know there is a previously discussed Guardian ability that would help with the encumbrance of heavy armor a la travel adjust for containers and ranger based items (ropes, etc). I imagine this'll help if it makes its way to implementation, though it'll add another 'daily find person' task to the community.

Towards your C, another cool thing that heavy armor users might benefit from is while you're in your tactics, you gain an ability to perform a a quicktime action to shoulder check someone if they're in RT to stagger them briefly or have a chance to knock them over. Like a tactical dodge, but aggressive and takes advantage of your heavier weight class.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."