Renting work yards?

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Ezrynon

Renting work yards?

Post by Ezrynon »

Hey there everyone. I've been working on building and doing sorts of things for that. However it's come to my attention that I am having to do all these different things in my Vault, there's only so much space I have, and it just seems kind of weird to have to do it that way. However, that being said, to rent farm land seems real strange to do a lot of work, that I shouldn't really have to do, mostly because it's farmland, and it doesn't seem really all that right. This leads me to my idea that I've stated to some who have had the same problem. I will try and lay it out thoroughly, even if it doesn't really come to anything.

Work yards in the past had been able to be rented in other games, and while that's great, I think that in reality, it would be just as easy to do in Cogg, if not easier if you think of it this way.

You are a crafter, you want to have a certain profession, and while public work yards are helpful, you need to have the ability to lay out different projects. Because of this, why not make a system similar to the farm system, you have a plot of land you can rent, or a room, or whatever suits to fit the theme. From there you have to buy a license for whatever profession you're looking to engage in, and from buying that license you would create a riln sink that is able to be utilized to drain some of the massive amounts of money folks just hold. This offers you the access to purchasing various equipment to be established in your work yard. Have a license for leatherworking? You can buy the equipment at a rental office to be set up in yourr workyard, troughs, tanning frames, that sort of thing. Are you a smith? spend money to have a forge, anvil, smelter, and anealing bench put in the yard. It would work like a farm rental, let the rent laps or the license laps and it is swallowed back up in the code, until you have to rent it again.

That being said, It would be hard to keep that rent up week by week as the various equipment purchases are high, the license you put money into and all that sort of thing. So, make it so instead of it being paid for week by week, make it paid month by month, being able to purchase the space in a maximum of two month incriments. perhaps put a cap on what you can have purchased for your workyard, based on your skill in the area. Just have fifty smithing? go use the public yard, have 200 though and it seems you're rather dedicated to the craft.

This would allow for easier storage of materials, create a sink for those who are crafters who just somehow seem to rack up riln like it's nothing saving it and having a dragon's horde after a while, and gives people another goal/flavor that is themely and interesting.

It's ultimately an idea, but after trying to fit all the wood I need in a vault, it is like wait a minute, something is just so weird and awkward about this.
Gorth

Re: Renting work yards?

Post by Gorth »

I'll keep it brief.

We don't want to isolate people more than they are, so can we perhaps have containers that virtualize wood? That'd solve a lot of issue. Having it take up so much space is annoying, at best. And just in case people think I'm saying it just to be rude, I've played several characters who did logging and or building.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Ezrynon

Post by Ezrynon »

In my personal opinion, people being isolated is a player problem, and not a game problem. I constantly look for others to play with and noi one stops to pay attention. it's just a common problem with games like this. whether work yards are public or private, people are just gonna hide out in whatever capacity they're going to do it with. It just makes more sense to me to do something like this like with farming than having me go rent farm land for some ridiculous reason. Though at this rate, I'm about to do it either way.
Rilulth

Post by Rilulth »

This is something we've considered doing with Companies, and we're still discussing it, but don't want to fully cement something until the crafting trees and such are finished.

I'll speak to the other GMs and see if we can do something about a woodworking/builders workshop with instanced containers so you don't feel you're cluttering up everyone with 100 branches and planks, though!
tulpa —
If we ever get player housing, Mistralite houseshares are going to be full of this stuff. "Damnit who let the thousand-year old angry venomous moths out of their velvet pouch again?"