Physicker PSA

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Ronin

Physicker PSA

Post by Ronin »

Hey ya'll.

So I recently made a Physicker, because I saw people saying that there was an absence of them "after the sun goes down", and I was curious to try one.

Here's my kneejerk observation:

People basically just want fractures set, and reflection therapy.

Which is fine. Fractures take a long time to heal without it, and reflection therapy is great for xp.

What people don't seem to want to do a lot of is RP. Now, that's not to say there hasn't been any RP. Several people have been great about it. But something I want folks to understand is that your average Physicker is very likely going to be pretty RP focused. They get -one- skill above standard caps, and that's Medical. And to raise that skill they sit around doing medical on-duty, and then wait for their bucket to fill and empty. Rinse and repeat.

This. Is. Boring. Like, to tears boring. It's easy. It's basically free money. There's nothing wrong with it on the design side. But it's boring, and yet necessary for the physicker to get their one skill they're focused on up to any reasonable level. That means quicker healing for you, and longer duration on that reflection therapy.

So, what does this have to do with YOU? Well, I'll tell you:

Slow it down. Bring it in. Talk to your Physicker. RP with them. Let them RP out giving you the therapy, instead of just code typing some stuff and then dashing out. Physickers, in your turn, don't do the coded commands until you've gotten your RP out of the situation. This is twofold: One, they're not going to run off without their buff, and two, this ensures that the buff doesn't lapse while you're sitting there doing RP.

I also wonder if it wouldn't be suitable to have an NPC named "Mr Ted who likes to Talk", maybe that the Library of Qamar, who acts as a head shrink, and for 5000 riln will give reflection therapy. Yes, that price is intentionally high. This is to motivate people to find a PC physicker first.

However, it would also give folks who are around during off-peak, or who don't want to RP, an opportunity to get reflection therapy. If people want a pocket healer/reflection bot, give it to them.
Serity

Re: Physicker PSA

Post by Serity »

One, they're not going to run off without their buff,
Personally, I would rather run off without the buff if I peer into the hospital and the only physicker I see on duty insists I do a scene with them beyond 'Hello, can I bother you for some reflection therapy?', which if I start getting asked actual therapy questions is probably going to make me panic at the sudden need to come up with responses. If I'm asking for the buff, I:
  • am likely wanting to grind and not RP (or at least want to get the bucket going before I RP to minimize downtime)
  • am possibly in a socially anxious mood IRL or have limited time but still want to play
  • possibly have people waiting on me ready to go
There are times for RP and times for not-RP and trying to force RP into not-RP times is just going to make me avoid that person if I am in a not-RP mood.

But, again, I re-iterate, that is just my personal opinion and I don't speak for anyone else, I just wanted to put my two riln on the scale to offset such a broad claim.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Serity wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:59 pm
One, they're not going to run off without their buff,
Personally, I would rather run off without the buff if I peer into the hospital and the only physicker I see on duty insists I do a scene with them beyond 'Hello, can I bother you for some reflection therapy?', which if I start getting asked actual therapy questions is probably going to make me panic at the sudden need to come up with responses. If I'm asking for the buff, I:
  • am likely wanting to grind and not RP (or at least want to get the bucket going before I RP to minimize downtime)
  • am possibly in a socially anxious mood IRL or have limited time but still want to play
  • possibly have people waiting on me ready to go
There are times for RP and times for not-RP and trying to force RP into not-RP times is just going to make me avoid that person if I am in a not-RP mood.

But, again, I re-iterate, that is just my personal opinion and I don't speak for anyone else, I just wanted to put my two riln on the scale to offset such a broad claim.
Which is why I suggested there be an NPC for you to go visit. If you don't want to RP, fine. Physickers aren't your heal/buff bots. They're players, too.
Ephemeralis

Post by Ephemeralis »

I retired my physicker for similar reasons. If you're not jiving with the walk-in aspect of it and people treating you predominately as a service, I'd suggest trying something else. Arcanist has a good mix of stuff it can do itself while also having the whole provides-a-service element for it as well. Takes a while to get off the ground, though.
Kalista

Post by Kalista »

I have been a physicker on cogg for about a year and a half, maybe 2 years in total, save for a few month gap in there somewhere, and here's what I've noticed.
1: The good thing about having only 1 skill to maximize is the fact that you can be many things. A physicker is currently one of the most unrestricted guilds we have. you have only 1 skill, so find something else to add. blacksmithing, leatherworking, etcetera. Staying in the infirmary all day every day is a recipe for disaster, though I do understand wanting to learn the skill. I have seen a great deal of physickers come and go, and that is the fastest way to burn out. I admit I do sit in there sometimes, but mostly, I'm off doing other things, which consequentially brings in more roleplay.
2: Don't rely on being a physicker to bring in your roleplay. This kind of builds off my previous point. in general, people aren't responsible for bringing you roleplay. If you want roleplay, take up another trade, a craft, like I mentioned.
3: What Serity said is often true. someone is waiting on them, they have to afk, but maybe want some help emptying that bucket, someone suddenly calls them and they have to go, there are alot of things roleplay can be cut short. Let the player needing a service lead, you follow. the idea to bring in an npc for therapy would be counterproductive. we already have an npc who can heal basic wounds, which alot of people do go to. I feel like instead of all physickers trying to attract roleplay by just sitting there, the idea is to go out. I don't purposefully seek out wounded people, nor wait for them. I wait until they need me, give them what they require and let them on their way. I have seen it go wrong, a physicker tries to encourage rp out of a player who is obviously not in the mood for it, usually they just leave. Sure, if someone wants to rp with me, I will happily do so. Sometimes I as a player don't feel like it though, and that should be just fine. Remember that behind the physickers, warriors, etcetera, there are players with real lives.
Your method isn't wrong, but I feel like most of the physickers I've seen that really wanted to be a physicker learned fast to do other things, infirmary idling will drive you mad, then you'll miss patients and be seen as absent minded.
I do agree we need more skills, different unguents to treat frostbite and fractures, but in the end, enjoy the freedom of being able to take up crafts and find interests elsewhere. I think I can summ it up like this. Your not *a* physicker, you are *also* a physicker.
I apologize if this comes across as dismissing your concerns, in the end we all have our own playstyle. I simply wanted to shed some light on what I've noticed.