Roundtable Questions for April 22nd

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Rilulth

Roundtable Questions for April 22nd

Post by Rilulth »

Please add any questions for the Roundtable this Saturday here. I'll start:

As it was brought up last roundtable again, have you looked at the ideas for scales thread any further and should I start making a list of descriptions?
tulpa —
If we ever get player housing, Mistralite houseshares are going to be full of this stuff. "Damnit who let the thousand-year old angry venomous moths out of their velvet pouch again?"
Lexx416

Re: Roundtable Questions for April 22nd

Post by Lexx416 »

When climbing, does the endrolll for a climbing check make a difference (IE - do we get more progress on a climb for rolling better), or is succeeding on a climb check just a static success and you have to meet a specific number of those for each climb?

For a certain hidden Arcanist glyph, does the durability effect also slow down the wear and tear on the sharpness value of a sharpened weapon?
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Maina

Post by Maina »

What are vampires like in COGG? Or, if it is a better way to ask, what are vampires believed to be like in COGG? Are they folklore, definite fact, or somewhere between/unknown like so many other things?

Is the spider place alluded to by certain rumors presently in-game or will it be?
Squeak

Post by Squeak »

Nightblade and Risk Levels:

Is it intentional that mobs with multi-throw increase risk substantially with each thing thrown? I was going to bug it but ... it's technically working correctly. One attack = Risk level increase. The downside to this is that one "attack" is actually three or four, which increases risk (on me - I'm not sure if there is a way to mitigate risk increases) by 5 pts with each item thrown. If they get the full four throwing-knives out, bam, immediate twenty risk. Followed up by a second round shortly after, means they've almost immediately got a nightblade at a decent disadvantage. Well. I use disadvantage lightly. It should be - they level the playing field almost immediately and if they do get throw happy, then it's a pretty quick disadvantage. Two multi-throws with only one attack on my part puts Risk at near 50pts.
Ephemeralis

Post by Ephemeralis »

Squeak wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:36 am Nightblade and Risk Levels:

Is it intentional that mobs with multi-throw increase risk substantially with each thing thrown? I was going to bug it but ... it's technically working correctly. One attack = Risk level increase. The downside to this is that one "attack" is actually three or four, which increases risk (on me - I'm not sure if there is a way to mitigate risk increases) by 5 pts with each item thrown. If they get the full four throwing-knives out, bam, immediate twenty risk. Followed up by a second round shortly after, means they've almost immediately got a nightblade at a decent disadvantage. Well. I use disadvantage lightly. It should be - they level the playing field almost immediately and if they do get throw happy, then it's a pretty quick disadvantage. Two multi-throws with only one attack on my part puts Risk at near 50pts.
20 risk tracks with other high-impact actions such as stealing, etc, so it does sound somewhat intentional.
Squeak

Post by Squeak »

It is working correctly, so you may not be wrong. Just curious if it was an oversight with that specific attack since no other single attacks that I've come across generate that much Risk in one go, even if it is, technically, 2-4 different attacks.
Rilulth

Roundtable Notes for April 22nd

Post by Rilulth »

-As it was brought up last roundtable again, have you looked at the ideas for scales thread any further and should I start making a list of descriptions?

Rias says, "I have not, but yes, start that list of descriptions anyway."

-When climbing, does the endrolll for a climbing check make a difference (IE - do we get more progress on a climb for rolling better), or is succeeding on a climb check just a static success and you have to meet a specific number of those for each climb?

Rias says, "Greater success percentages (or worse) have more of an effect than lesser percentages. A 90% climb roll success is going to see more climb progress for that repitition than a 10% climb roll success."

Rias says, "So you can have Climbing Races and know that two people of the same skill will still see some variance in who who finishes first."

-For a certain hidden Arcanist glyph, does the durability effect also slow down the wear and tear on the sharpness value of a sharpened weapon?

Rias says, "I believe so! I'm pretty sure it was brought up and a changelog entry was put out when that was implemented, but I'm double-checking."

Rias says, "Yep, the code says it does indeed reduce sharpness wear."

-What are vampires like in COGG? Or, if it is a better way to ask, what are vampires believed to be like in COGG? Are they folklore, definite fact, or somewhere between/unknown like so many other things?

Rias says, "I'd say they're more in the realm of folklore, and less of like "this is a classification of nethrim." It's known that nether in general has a thing for blood, and it stands to reason that many nethrim or heavily nether-tainted/nethertouched creatures share this.

Rias says, "There are tales and legends of "vampires" specifically and the word has a place in the lore, but again it's not likely you'll see something like "Also here: A sneering vampire"."

-Is the spider place alluded to by certain rumors presently in-game or will it be?

Rilulth says, "I can answer this, no, it is not currently, yes, it will be when I finish the inhabitants."

-Is it intentional that mobs with multi-throw increase risk substantially with each thing thrown? I was going to bug it but ... it's technically working correctly. One attack = Risk level increase. The downside to this is that one "attack" is actually three or four, which increases risk (on me - I'm not sure if there is a way to mitigate risk increases) by 5 pts with each item thrown. If they get the full four throwing-knives out, bam, immediate twenty risk. Followed up by a second round shortly after, means they've almost immediately got a nightblade at a decent disadvantage. Well. I use disadvantage lightly. It should be - they level the playing field almost immediately and if they do get throw happy, then it's a pretty quick disadvantage. Two multi-throws with only one attack on my part puts Risk at near 50pts.

Rias says, "The Risk per each multi-thrown projectile is a bug. Sorry! It's been on the to-fix list for ages but I've never gotten to it. I'll bump it up." (Bug was then fixed)

-First, are there ways from karnath to the lost lands without going to the fae forest?

Rias says, "The Fey Forest is a death sentence, so we assume people from Karnath who ended up in the Lost Lands got there some roundabout way. Perhaps by sea, scooting right along the coast."

-Lances when?

Rias exclaims, "Lances when they happen!"

-We have fighting magic and glyphs. Why don't we have healing magic?

Rias says, "Because the Physicker Union keeps stamping it out.

Rias says, "We do, though, technically. We have Vitality, which does some minor healing over time, and a few other less-common things. Thamaturgy is this setting's standard means of healing magic, it's just a very uncommon one for people to learn and acquire.

Rias says, "But game-design-wise, healing is the Physicker gig, and we like being one of the few fantasy settings where the go-to method of healing is conventional rather than magical."

-Do you currently have anything in mind for guardians? As they seem currently, their main feature is either a short-range shield bash or a longer range shield bash. Also counter shield bashing. It'd be interesting to see some things that help a group as a whole either in the form of additional protection procs for the group or minor buffs.

Rias says, "We've had a lot of great suggestions on the BBS that I have on my list of things to add for Guardians. I also have some ideas to give them more of a tactician/guiding role, empowering their group (as well as themselves - we dont' want their effectiveness to be completely dependent on being in a group)."

-Can I get an indication of whether there are further things in the works for Warlocks at the moment in terms of helping with combat, or are their abilities etc kind of complete for now? My char is nowhere near done learning sorcery but just wanted to know whether I should think about supplementing sorcery with other combat skills for offence. Thanks and this is the first time I have asked a question/attended so apologies if this question is not specific enough.

Rias exclaims, "There is quite a lot in the pipe for Warlocks, and some of it does have to do with combat. Their ability list is far from complete!"

Rias says, "Every time I think about it I'm tempted to drop everything and work on it. I love Warlocks and sorcery in general."

-I wanted to ask about some of the more practical skills like Riding and Swimming that may not have as much scope as the others. Are there plans, with the skill trees, to raise the training caps on these to 700 in line with the others?"

Rias says, "Maybe! Riding in particular is kind of a tough one to make feel useful at higher skill levels. I'm resigned to leaving it at 400 cap for the moment, but if we get some good suggestions that would justify increasing it for further investment I'd be happy to raise it."

-I've recently peeked at another MUD that allows players to 'opt in' to being the target of GM involvement/NPC interaction, and to toggle that on or off. Would that ever be considered as a way to help GMs get about the world/playerbase and make sure their time is used effectively?

Rias says, "We tried that in CLOK, and my overall impression was mixed. It could be useful, but it also kind of set up some troublesome expectations, with some thinking it was sort of a way to guarantee GM attention, while others thought that not having it enabled meant they were essentially "immune" from GM actions."

Rilulth says, "But it did have a stipulation that just because you didn't have your event flag raised doesn't mean you were immune to consequences for you actions."

-Will we be able to metalcast the rose gold and brass ingots at some point? And, I want a team Shadgard pin.

Rias exclaims, "I can set up the rose gold and such to be metalcastable after this meeting!"

Rias says, "I'll peek at all the metals and make sure the appropriate ones are all metalcastable for relevant items."

-When Huecatn pray, do they typically address Toteo? Or do they address the Toteo Shards by their Arad names?

Rias says, "I think that depends on what they're praying for. Something more specific-purpose might be addressed to the common name of one of Toteo's splinters that is most apt to handle that, more general stuff could go to Toteo. But in general, Huecatn are pretty relaxed about the names, as they know Toteo is all and all are Toteo, so it's not a big deal to them. There might be some individuals that are more strict about, say, not forgetting to honor Toteo specifically by name as well as the names of the splinters, but I think that's less common. Most are firm in their faith that they're ultimately all one and the same."

-How open are the borders within Tatlhuecatn? Could one migrate with ease between states/factions, or is it very bureaucratic, or just a total nope?

Rias asks, "There are mostly the three main split empires in Tatlhuecatn, and they don't get along with one another. "Empires" being used loosely - they're fairly small really relative to what I think most people when they hear the word, since they're the remnants of one that was split into three. Moving around within those little "empires" isn't any trouble, though. If that's what you were asking?"

-Is it a bug that Nuum can't get curley hair?

Rias says, "Nope! They just don't seem to have those natural curls."

Rias says, "(Cue image of Frida from the Peanuts comic strip talking about her "naturally curly hair".)."

-Are skill raises linear in terms of benefit or are there specific milestones for them? Like, I'm raising a skill at the moment and it's currently at 44, does that help me, or do I only gain benefit once I reach 50 in it?"

Rias says, "Most skills give a benefit per point, like have 44 in a skill would result in a roll of 1d144, having 77 in the skill would be a roll of 1d177. There are a couple that are more about thresholds at the moment, but that's slated to be addressed so each point counts. I'm pretty sure skinning is a big offender, being a "get it to 200 to get wyrm scales" situation."
tulpa —
If we ever get player housing, Mistralite houseshares are going to be full of this stuff. "Damnit who let the thousand-year old angry venomous moths out of their velvet pouch again?"