Addition of Harbingers ?

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Pendulum

Addition of Harbingers ?

Post by Pendulum »

I wasn't too thrilled to see the addition of Harbingers of Aranas to COGG.

For me, the addition of Harbingers to the former game CLOK marked the turning point of that game's Role Play environment going from bad to worse. Words to describe the activities the Harbingers did in Shadgard (and were allowed to do in plain sight) back then included "disgusting" and "ludicrous".

I had hoped that the Harbingers would have remained not part of COGG , in the same way that things like Dwaedn Wyr and Corvus were not part of COGG.
It's not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.
- Roy E. Disney
Rias
DEV

Re: Addition of Harbingers ?

Post by Rias »

The Harbingers of Aranas in CLOK were a group I conceptualized on a basic level shortly before leaving the project, so I can't speak for what they became or the merits thereof. At the point I left, they were still considered in a testing stage with one or two abilities, and weren't involved in anything event- or RP-wise. All this to say I would not look at CLOK's Harbingers of Aranas as a template for COGG's Harbingers, nor an example of what the latter will be like.

In COGG, the Harbingers are a larger organization encompassing a variety of Immortals. I would recommend checking out the articles listed here under the Harbinger Immortals category on the wiki and getting a glimpse of how COGG's Harbingers are viewing their Immortals. They're not just here for the evulz, but rather are working toward greater acceptance and influence for their patrons, who they tend to have a much more nuanced view of. Aranas, for instance, has a whole rarely-acnkowledged facet as the Great Organizer and Architect that the Harbingers are trying to push, instead of letting the world see it as nothing more than a big scary eldritch spider-entity that eats peoples' souls (though they don't deny that it is that as well). This isn't to say they won't ever get up to spooky dark scary stuff, but I'm a big fan of nuance as well as responsibility for actions and the impact they have on the greater world around them. I'll point out that the Harbingers will have a place in the Mistveil Dominion who has the motto "Peace, Order, Prosperity." Of course there can (and should!) be arguments as to how justified certain means are to achieving ends and all that, but for the Harbingers to continue be accepted in such a faction they're going to be held to certain standards as an organization.

I've only heard vague rumors of what CLOK's Habingers of Aranas were like after my departure (and let's please not get into discussing it here, as they are not COGG's Harbingers), but I would ask that people look at COGG's Harbingers as something its own. I'm excited to present my view of them here, just like that of the Wyrvardn and the Tse Gaiyan who went through some tough times in CLOK as organizations and their presentation and reputation. Here's hoping the second chances for these various groups pan out to be as interesting, nuanced, and awesome as I'm hoping they will be! It would be helpful and very much appreciated if people would leave any CLOK baggage at the door and reserve judgment until they see these rebooted versions here in COGG.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Gorth

Re: Addition of Harbingers ?

Post by Gorth »

It would also be helpful if things of this nature were presented in a manner more than, 'I had bad experience with X. X is bad.'

What are we supposed to do with this? Especially not having played CLOK, the best we can do is say 'sorry, it won't be like that probably hopefully.'

If it does help any, from the extensive conversation I have had with a lot of people, my view thus far as that the Harbingers will be a lot less evil, like the Big Man said. Plus, of course, we have a much more deticated and large playerbase. If people try to do evil stuff, well, there will likely as not be people there to go, 'yo, evil-man. Evilest of man. Stop it!' and slap them on the wrist. with a glaive.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.