Lore Seekers Society and More!

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Ronin

Lore Seekers Society and More!

Post by Ronin »

So I was looking over the list of proposed societies, and one that I felt might be missing would be a society dedicated to obtaining, preserving, and sharing Lore.

Yes, the capital is intentional.

I see that there's a proposed group called the Tse Gaiyan who apparently wish to gather lore about the Resen, and that's fine and all, but what I'm thinking would be a group dedicated to gathering information about the history of the Lost Lands itself, as well as any clues within the Lost Lands about the origins of the people of Arad, Aetgard, and the surrounding nations. Those who want to find out about the Huecatn and the world they inhabited before. Those who want to know where the Great Plague came from, and why. Perhaps finding lore about great heroes of the past, that could in turn be made into Stories and Ballads for storytellers to share.

This society's primary focus would be towards Scholars and Treasure Hunters, but as with most societies anyone with a yearning for knowledge, or even their comrades who wish to protect those seeking such knowledge whether its acquisition or its accumulation, would be welcome to join. This society could even just be an expansion of the Library of Qamar. Maybe, within the Society, there could be multiple factions, such as Librarians, who tend the knowledge, and Seekers, who go out into the world to find the knowledge and bring it back to be studied.

This faction's existence could lend itself to making the linguistics skill useful.

I was thinking perhaps 'scraps of lore' could be added to lockboxes as very rare or supremely rare drops. These scraps would be incomplete bits of history in ancient and dead languages, with vague allusions that by themselves might be meaningless, but combined with other scraps begin to tell a whole tale.

These 'scraps of lore' could also be added to various other loot tables, as extremely rare finds, including fishing (Lore in a bottle), bushcraft, or potentially new skills such as archaeology (Which hey, great skill for treasure hunters, amirite?).

I believe the potential for this Society to increase roleplay would be phenomenal, as players must bring together their scraps and tidbits to gain any cohesive picture of whatever subjects they're telling of. Red herrings could also be planted that could lead to debate and discussion.
Ronin

Re: Lore Seekers Society and More!

Post by Ronin »

Also, since I just did some in game research, "Disciples of Muhsin" or something would be rad. Just sayin.
Volinn

Post by Volinn »

I actually think the Wyrvardn might be right up your alley! One of their listed side-ventures seems to be the discovery/research of Aetgardian history.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Aye, someone else pointed this out as well, but they specified that such is a -side venture- for them. In addition, they're singularly focused on history. I would like an organization that is about the collection and protection of ALL knowledge. The two organizations, having similar interests, would likely cooperate. As would the society I propose and the Tse Gaiyan, and possibly even the Harbingers. The possibilities are endless.
shewel

Post by shewel »

Your described vision for the society describes the Library of Qamar well. In an earlier iteration of the game's code Lore was a skill for only the scholar's guild, but it was later changed so everyone can participate in learning the game's lore because it enriches everyone and that enriches the game. Eventually the ideal will be allowing characters to contribute records of events and such to what is available in the Library as well. The goal is to make lore accessible to everyone that is interested in it. Because of that and the one society membership per character limitation, your suggestion would be a better company than a society. Many societies have specialized lore interests and a company could join together from many societies characters who are more focused on lore.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

shewel wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:29 pm Your described vision for the society describes the Library of Qamar well. In an earlier iteration of the game's code Lore was a skill for only the scholar's guild, but it was later changed so everyone can participate in learning the game's lore because it enriches everyone and that enriches the game. Eventually the ideal will be allowing characters to contribute records of events and such to what is available in the Library as well. The goal is to make lore accessible to everyone that is interested in it. Because of that and the one society membership per character limitation, your suggestion would be a better company than a society. Many societies have specialized lore interests and a company could join together from many societies characters who are more focused on lore.
Right on, you make a really strong point. I hadn't really considered 'companies', but I'm all for a compromise that is inclusive, especially since various Societies already have knowledge things they focus on. Tse and Resen, Slayers and other monsters, Wyrvardn and History. Even Harbingers and knowledge of the 'dark' gods. Maybe they would be seeking knowledge that shows why the dark gods are needful and beneficial somehow, idk.

I still really like the idea, however, of being able to find lore scraps of some sort in loot tables that players are able to share with each other and piece together to paint a larger picture.