More Scale Items

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Rilulth

More Scale Items

Post by Rilulth »

As nagged to by Rias, more things that could be made with scales (note these are suggestions, not yet implemented):

Sheathes
Haft-frogs
Cloaks (perhaps for duelist, this could have a bonus for their cloak-parry)
Longcoats
Jackets
Coats
Boots
Belts
Hats
Loincloths
Chest-wraps
Buckler/Round shield
tulpa —
If we ever get player housing, Mistralite houseshares are going to be full of this stuff. "Damnit who let the thousand-year old angry venomous moths out of their velvet pouch again?"
merin

Re: More Scale Items

Post by merin »

Containers.

I want a scale tote, or satchel, or backpack, or pouch, or haversack.
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

I'm pretty sure we already can do scale boots? Unless I have a mimic posing as a pair of wyrmscale boots floating around somewhere in this vault. But 10/10 for scale loincloths. These half-naked druids out here need some sort of protection.
You think to yourself, "I am surrounded by idiots and petulant children."

You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
merin

Post by merin »

Delphine wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:11 pm I'm pretty sure we already can do scale boots? Unless I have a mimic posing as a pair of wyrmscale boots floating around somewhere in this vault. But 10/10 for scale loincloths. These half-naked druids out here need some sort of protection.
I am pretty sure you can as well.so would "recipe info scale boots". Also re: loincloth. Funniest thing I've read all day :).
debaquila96

Post by debaquila96 »

Jackets, perhaps?

But, thing is, containers... which is the advantages that should make you choose between scale or classic?

Scales are expensive, after all, for who does not have exclusive livestock.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

debaquila96 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:20 pm Jackets, perhaps?

But, thing is, containers... which is the advantages that should make you choose between scale or classic?

Scales are expensive, after all, for who does not have exclusive livestock.
I personally think that there doesn't need to be a mechanical advantage to scale containers - they look pretty cool though. And for some people, that's worth the added cost
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Rilulth

Post by Rilulth »

Delphine wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:11 pm I'm pretty sure we already can do scale boots? Unless I have a mimic posing as a pair of wyrmscale boots floating around somewhere in this vault. But 10/10 for scale loincloths. These half-naked druids out here need some sort of protection.
You're probably right. I've not looked at leatherworking in I don't know how long!
tulpa —
If we ever get player housing, Mistralite houseshares are going to be full of this stuff. "Damnit who let the thousand-year old angry venomous moths out of their velvet pouch again?"
Squeak

Post by Squeak »

This depends heavily on how the end product lookks, honestly.

When I got my first set of scale armor, the first thing I remember saying was, "Man, I wish I could line my duster with brachelyr scales!" But as someone who detests having a super long worn description, I'd be hesistant to actually get one, unless I could modify the scale portion, just because of how verbose it is.

Though I wouldn't say no to a fancy double-breasted waistcoat lined with with them, either! It would be neat to have a "coat of plates" option for scaled armor/clothing, too.

Edited to add: Choli Tops and lehenga blouses so those half-naked druids running around with chest-wraps have something a bit more diversity in clothing, but still able to show off those tattoos.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I might be envisioning things weird, but clothing items like cloaks or coats or such made from these scales don't seem like they'd be very comfortable, and it would be odd to have, say, a wyrmscale longcoat that doesn't provide any protection while a wyrmscale cuirass does. These are relatively large and thick scales, hence their protective properties and usage as armor. I could see them used decoratively/stylistically as a part of various items, but I hesitate to add non-protective apparel that implies it's made primarily of these armor-grade scales.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
debaquila96

Post by debaquila96 »

Rias writes:

I might be envisioning things weird, but clothing items like cloaks or coats or such made from these scales don't seem like they'd be very comfortable, and it would be odd to have, say, a wyrmscale longcoat that doesn't provide any protection while a wyrmscale cuirass does. These are relatively large and thick scales, hence their protective properties and usage as armor. I could see them used decoratively/stylistically as a part of various items, but I hesitate to add non-protective apparel that implies it's made primarily of these armor-grade scales.

As stated yesterday via tell to Rilulth, since there was the feature of the raised hands, the scale cloak might be a bonus for duelists for their cloak parry. Their durability might get enhanced, thus they're worth the price they'll have.