ESP zone ranges expanded!

Discussion regarding the various areas out there.
Rias
DEV

ESP zone ranges expanded!

Post by Rias »

Per the in-game announcements over ESP and posted on town post boards: The Twilight Eye has had further success in efforts to restore the ESP network. It remains separated into three primary areas, but the range of each has been expanded.

This means people can generally range out quite a bit further while remaining in ESP contact. There are still plenty of dead zones, however. One might also notice that distance has an effect on the transmission of the messages, indicating that despite the increased overall ranges, distance is still a consideration when it comes to broadcasting and receiving communications over this partially-restored ESP system. The Twilight Eye will continue with further restoration efforts, but rumor has it that the previous state of complete flawless communication is unlikely to be achieved again.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Re: ESP zone ranges expanded!

Post by Rias »

As announced on ESP and town boards in-game: The Twilight Eye has had further success in ESP network restoration efforts. The central zone of coverage that includes Stormholdt Castle and the Library of Qamar has been extended westward to reach all the way to New Emberlight. Further efforts to restore the ESP network range will continue.

==========

New Emberlight will no longer feel so cut off from the rest of the world. Huzzah! (Or boo, if you're a solitude-lover.)
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Prism

Post by Prism »

Rias wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:06 pm As announced on ESP and town boards in-game: The Twilight Eye has had further success in ESP network restoration efforts. The central zone of coverage that includes Stormholdt Castle and the Library of Qamar has been extended westward to reach all the way to New Emberlight. Further efforts to restore the ESP network range will continue.

==========

New Emberlight will no longer feel so cut off from the rest of the world. Huzzah! (Or boo, if you're a solitude-lover.)
First of all, very cool change, much appreciated as always.

Second of all, I believe there may have been a bit of a mistaken implementation here. Currently, the area that covers new Emberlight is that shared with Mistral Lake, not the library just wanted to make sure this was brought to the right attention!
"The sky, above the clouds; A rainbow that fate has devoured
I gave up Hope
But I'm not going to be lost tomorrow; Even if it is hell
I'm gonna' crawl. "
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Just to clarify, the zones are all linked up now. Though there are still dead zones out there, all current ESP zones have overlap at some point meaning there's no separation of individual zones anymore. ESP transmission is limited by distance, so people in Mistral can't hear people in Shadgard and vice-versa, but Mistral to the Library, or Stormholdt to Shadgard, is now possible. Someone positioned roughly in the middle between Shadgard and Mistral could hear both and be heard by both. (Note that I'm using these known landmarks for example, but it's not based on these specific areas - just the distance between the person transmitting and the people receiving.)
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Maina

Post by Maina »

I would like to maybe suggest we go back to not having all zones connected.

It is mostly very confusing in the middle and somewhat-less-middle areas as you have people going 'meet in the commons' or 'meet outside of town' with no indication of which they mean.

In the somewhat-less-middle areas you are often getting half a conversation, which is also confusing.

The range fade-out is an interesting idea, but it feels pretty confusing in practice.

An alternative might be some kind of indication of the area or direction a thought is coming from. If you can get rough distance (via the 'weak' descriptor), then direction doesn't seem too far-fetched? That would solve some of the problem, if not all of it, and potentially be a compromise that could work.