Truffle Hogs

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
tulpa

Truffle Hogs

Post by tulpa »

While my character was talking about snouts, for some reason, I was consumed by a sudden desire to keep truffle pigs.

I'm sure players have asked for pigs in the past, but this feels like it would be easier to balance than introducing butchery.

As a branch of Animal Husbandry that allows more freedom of movement away from farms, we could take our hogs out into the wooded wilderness to go digging for valuable fungi. These could then be sold to the market or perhaps delivered to restaurants all around the Lost Lands.

The pigs are kept in small wooden sheds and will 'eat pretty much anything' (like goats?), but have a predilection for acorns and, of course, truffles.

As a maintenance thing, I thought something like the following. Pigs like to root about. They'll make a mess of your farm and crops unless you provide them with regular opportunity to do so, whether that's through expeditions to woodland or by leading them out of their shelter in your presence.

Feel free to make any additional suggestions and tweaks, if anyone feels like it (looking at you, Marcuson! But no pressure).
Agelity

Re: Truffle Hogs

Post by Agelity »

I love the idea of this, and I can't help but smile at the imagery of those with animal husbandry taking their truffle pigs out and about to forage truffles in nearby places (not quite how that ought to function overall, but I nonetheless adore the idea). Perhaps even just keeping things on the farm could very well work, but instead having increased chances the higher your animal husbandry is (similar to bushcraft) and perhaps even the odd chance they stumble upon some nifty knick-knack in the process.

Mechanically it's definitely something to mull over as far as engagement, reward for usage, and other factors to help "balance" whatever benefits they ultimately provide, but as far as an idea goes I can't overstate enough how much I adore it!