Guilds, Societies, Factions, Characters, Skills, Abilities, the Lost Lands, Scope, COGG

If the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, discuss it here.
Navi

Re: Guilds, Societies, Factions, Characters, Skills, Abilities, the Lost Lands, Scope, COGG

Post by Navi »

I think it was stated that bards will be switching over to Mummers for their words of power. It was also mentioned that this was more like a secondary location for teaching, rather than a full on society. However, I am curious if it will be possible to invest into the Mummers as a society? It's great and all for those who want to pick up bardic abilities and then go off and be a harbinger or whatever, but if we really just want to dedicate to the Mummers, will that be supported? I'll be in that camp, if allowed. Get it, cause, the Mummer's camp?
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Rias
DEV

Re: Guilds, Societies, Factions, Characters, Skills, Abilities, the Lost Lands, Scope, COGG

Post by Rias »

Absolutely! Mummers (and Rooks, and the Unnamed Druidry Initiation Society, etc.) will be light on causes and such, but those who want to personally invest more into them are free to do so. I'm sure we can find stuff for such individuals to get up to. A big part of the reason I'm involving them is to bring more depth and identity to the game instead of just faceless background hand-waviness, so I'm sure there will be opportunities, even if not necessarily as frequent or involved as the cause-oriented Societies.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
artus

Post by artus »

A scretive treehuggers society? Sounds like fun!

In the case of something more...neutrally inclined like Druidry, is there a society/organization/whatever that may find them shady compared to something like nethrim/anti nethrim case? Or will they remain neutral throughout?
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

I feel a bit better about the oncoming changes, knowing folks won't be able to try every Class Specialization and that it'll still be an impactful, permanent decision to get those cool benefits. Also glad for the clarification on Warlocks/Druids/Bards and their ability to join societies, thank you on both accounts!

How open/secretive will the rosters of those in-between occultish groups (Mummers, Rooks, UDIS, Dwaedn) be? And if you're a citizen of Shadgard, will you be barred from joining the Rook Parlour?
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Rilulth

Post by Rilulth »

And if you're a citizen of Shadgard, will you be barred from joining the Rook Parlour?
No, you won't be barred. The Rook Parlour has several chapters, they just may not necessarily be inside a town.
tulpa —
If we ever get player housing, Mistralite houseshares are going to be full of this stuff. "Damnit who let the thousand-year old angry venomous moths out of their velvet pouch again?"
Candelori

Post by Candelori »

I am glad to hear members of Rook Parlour will be welcome in Shadgard, as in light of recent events I am particularly interested in seeking their knowledge and perspective which have always been greatly appreciated as a means of delving into the mysteries of the nether. The potential of additional direction for Stormholdt is very intriguing to me, if there might be more details to be shared. There are so many hints to a greater identity already. The massive serpentine skeleton, the chained and shunned throne, the chapel, the tapestry, the items in the puzzle room. My character does not wish to live the life of a mercenary, but there are many implied secrets to Stormholdt that I have been dying to learn more about for quite some time.
Jaster wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:33 pmNoice.
I should very much like to see you in the game sometime, Jaster. I trust you will be up to your usual antics which I have found myself missing.
My COGG website: https://candelori.neocities.org
You think to yourself, "I am tempted to henceforth refer to this as the Bicker Board."
You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
artus

Post by artus »

This whole talk about mercenaries got me wondering. Does it mean anyone playing mercenaries are closely associated with stormholdt by default unless implicated?
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

artus wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:33 pm This whole talk about mercenaries got me wondering. Does it mean anyone playing mercenaries are closely associated with stormholdt by default unless implicated?
How to tell you're a Clok refugee without saying you're a Clok refugee.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

artus wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:33 pm This whole talk about mercenaries got me wondering. Does it mean anyone playing mercenaries are closely associated with stormholdt by default unless implicated?
A character can claim to be a mercenary, sellsword, hired blade, etc. without having any association with Stormholdt at all. Those associated with Stormholdt are only those who have actively and deliberately associated themselves with it (currently, those who have mechanically joined the Warrior Guild). Similarly, we could have characters claim to be scholars based on their general studiousness or desire to seek knowledge and lore, despite not being members of the Scholar Guild. Or characters claiming to be "adventurers" because they enjoy going out into the world and having adventures despite not being in the Adventurer Guild.

One more reason to dispense with the overly-generic guilds and move on to those with a bit more identity! Anyone can claim to be a "mercenary" or a "warrior" based on their skills and activity, and those associated with Stormholdt could proudly proclaim that they're specifically a Stormholdt-affiliated mercenary or a Stormholdt-trained warrior if they're trying for a little more clout, because Stormholdt is known for being a step above the rest in those particular areas.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Something I'd like to suggest with this coming update, is that it'd be really nice if the first 50 to 100 skill ranks in a skill were studyable across the board. It would speed up one of the more tedious times of a characters life, without making it too fast if there's only one or two-ish spots that people can study those skills at. I'd have it halt at the 50 to 100 point range, to simulate that being the "bare minimum" people can get from book learning without practical experience.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."