Mismatched Wood Planks

Have a new general feature to suggest, or think one should be tweaked? Share your ideas here.
Dennis

Mismatched Wood Planks

Post by Dennis »

I noticed a few of these landed in the market recently and I'm not sure if they're a generative issue caused by deconstruction of mismatched products. HOWEVER it got me thinking that it would be nice if we could intentionally create the 'butcherblock' wood effect by combining multiple small planks together (regardless of wood type) to upscale them into one size up mismatched wood plank. I think that this could be a great way to get rid of mismatched odds and ends after carpentry projects.

This can be as simple as holding two small boards and typing ATTACH to make one medium board, or two medium boards and ATTACHing to make one large board. You could require some sort of glue (hello, tree sap! Spile, please! Or let us boil down sinew for animal glue!) if you want to get gritty.

This would help with all those spare bits and bobs carpenters are holding onto 'just in case' and reduce a bit of that bloat since you're trading two-for-one.
Last edited by Dennis on Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
jerc

Re: Mismatched Wood Planks

Post by jerc »

Another MUD I used to play implemented a patchwork cloth/leather system for exactly that reason - to let people clean up all of those little scraps of mismatched cloth and leather that were otherwise never going to be used. Would love to see something like that here!

It worked basically how you described - you would craft patchwork cloth or leather, and it would consume 4 pieces of any type of cloth or leather and produce 4 pieces of patchwork material.