Primalist Ability Suggestion: Imbue Primal Essence

Seekers of knowledge, from physickers to alchemists to occultists.
Marcuson

Primalist Ability Suggestion: Imbue Primal Essence

Post by Marcuson »

Imbue Primal Essence is an ability that can be learned by Primalists.

IC Description: Some call it "spirit markings", "ghost face", or "war paint"; whatever the case may be, druids deeply in tune with primal forces have learned a ritual to collect the primal essence of a slain beast, mix a paint by secret methods, and apply the paint to a living beast, granting it characteristics of the slain one.

OOC Description: (Primalists gain the ability to confer temporary bonuses to mounts. They gain a command to ritually collect a beast's blood in a bowl; the Primalist must have been involved in the slaying. (If not consumed by this ability, the blood will lose its primal essence after one day.) Primalists can mix the blood together with other components to create a paint, which they can then apply to a mount and confer the dead beast's power. After three days, the paint will dry up and flake off.)

Usage:
collect <target corpse>
mix primal essence
imbue <target mount>

Beast Types
coyote - Will always bear its owner from danger.
lynx - Capable of having faster speeds when travelling overland.
wolf - The mount occasionally performs a side-by-side maneuver when allied mounts are present.
wechuge - The mount can be directed to unleash a blast of frost from its mouth.
fjelbeist - Twenty percent more energy and cannot be knocked down.
bear - Twenty percent more energy and the mount never becomes spooked.
bison - Twenty percent more energy and slightly reduced cooldown on trampling.

---------

This is a wacky suggestion, but I thought I'd just throw this out there while it was still fresh in my mind. The creature abilities are *not* balanced at all. One dead beast = one application to a horse, so you can't collect multiple bowls from the same dead beast. Paint recipe: blood + beeswax + ???.

The main point of this idea is to give Primalists something that they can "sell" to other player characters.
Last edited by Marcuson on Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Firerose

Re: Primalist Ability Suggestion: Imbue Primal Essence

Post by Firerose »

I absolutely love this, and would love to see it added to the game. It's such a cool idea, I hope Rias will consider it. Talk about potential!
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Marcuson wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:44 pm This is a wacky suggestion, but I thought I'd just throw this out there while it was still fresh in my mind. The creature abilities are *not* balanced at all. One dead beast = one application to a horse, so you can't collect multiple bowls from the same dead beast. Paint recipe: blood + beeswax + ???.

The main point of this idea is to give Primalists something that they can "sell" to other player characters.
I think this should probably take a fair bit of energy for the Primalist to create, and the recipe should require blood + beeswax or animal fat (with bonuses for using animal fat, when that's a thing we can harvest) + an herbal mixture that can only be purchased and not player made, so that there's a baseline cost involved to encourage Primalists to not give it away for free.

I think I'd probably have it stored in small jars similar to unguents, except with 1 usage per jar. Or, in place of the herb mixture mentioned above, there could be some kind of specially prepared lid/cap for jars that can be bought instead (maybe requiring the mixture to "ferment" for a bell or two with the special seal/lid/cap in place, before it works).

Edited to add: I also think this should be something that can be applied to those with the Druidic Bond as well, perhaps at a reasonably noticeable sanity cost (and an effect that can NOT be dismissed)
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
darkangel

Post by darkangel »

I absolutely adore the idea, and hope that it might be implemented!
HeckTurtle

Post by HeckTurtle »

As someone who mains a primalist, I super-love this idea. It sounds like it would provide more of an incentive for other PCs to seek out the services of primalists. I have some ideas to suggest for trying to balance it out more, though I think Lexx's suggestions are really good--maybe these will inspire other ideas for other people! Or others might know improvements for these. Whatever works.
  1. The duration and/or potency of the effect could be based on the primalist's druidry skill. Maybe only duration, I'd worry about people only looking for primalists with capped druidry if the effect's' strength also varied based on the primalist's skill.
  2. The ritual itself could be a multi-step, mostly-involved process that takes a good amount of time and energy drain to complete. Maybe even some sanity drain as well, depending on what needs to be done. Higher druidry skill may or may not help.
  3. Actual application could also need more ritual shenanigans on the part of the primalist and require more energy/time/etc. investment. Though I don't know if previous suggestion + this one would make it overly obnoxious, this one specifically is what I'm thinking could be a deterrent to giving paint away if it has a longer shelf life and people end up hoarding because of it.
  4. Amount of paint required for a mount (or possibly a druid) could depend on the size of the creature the paint is being applied to, otherwise the effect ends up being more diluted. Just because I think a warhorse, for example, might be bigger than most people and require more paint to cover them. But it might be irrelevant if a significant area doesn't need to be covered in order to achieve the full effect. I've never warhorse'd before so I don't know if it needs to be more of a pain to make them tougher or not, this suggestion in particular was mostly in case it should be.
Mostly just trying to think of more ways to make it a decent pain to produce the paint so it's a properly valued product, which becomes potentially more valuable if the primalist producing it has spent more time improving their craft.