I heard a rumor about a rumor feature

A place where new features are announced and discussed. (Feature suggestions go in the suggestions topic.)
Rias
DEV

I heard a rumor about a rumor feature

Post by Rias »

We now have a basic rumor system! Certain NPC-populated rooms will occasionally generate rumors that PCs can overhear. The chance to hear a rumor each minute is based on the Perception skill, with a reroll for those with the Awareness stat.

Because this can likely become distracting at times, one can use the RUMORS IGNORE command to ignore rumors, and RUMORS LISTEN to start listening for rumors again. The RUMORS command on its own will tell whether a room is a rumor room or not, as well as remind about the character's current rumor ignore status and give syntax for listening/ignoring.

This is currently a very limited release, with just a few spots in Shadgard (spoiler: inns and taverns) that pull from the general "shadgard area" pool of rumors. Some will be added to Mistral Lake and other outposts soon(tm), and the hope is that eventually we'll have enough juicy rumor selection to have different rooms within the same areas potentially serve up different types of rumors. You might overhear different rumors in a tavern than those in a town hall, for instance. For now though, just the one big pile of general Shadgard rumors.

I'm hoping this will not only be a little immersive flavor, but also help to keep people aware of various tidbits of information that might not be available otherwise, or might have fallen out of public awareness but we don't want the info/lore/trivia/etc. to be forgotten. And of course, the townsfolk might occasionally talk about some PCs that have gotten up to this or that and gotten themselves some notice - for good or ill! One more reason to think before acting. The NPCs may well take notice and start talking and spreading rumors about you or your actions!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Karjus

Re: I heard a rumor about a rumor feature

Post by Karjus »

Very cool. Love this sort of stuff.

Enjoy all the flavour emotes both places have, but adding more to help spread information on ongoing events and possibly link up other systems to it would be neat.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
silly

Post by silly »

Very exciting! Thank you for adding this in.
Using your hands, you work at washing a wash basin at a wash basin.
A wash basin is now clean.
Volinn

Post by Volinn »

Love this!
tulpa

Post by tulpa »

Also very pleased about this! It's been fun RPing in these spaces and having this background noise too, to riff off. I hope it brings more players into the taverns and encourages more PC interactions in the long term, as it seems to have been doing so far.

As a suggestion, I wonder if players with Storytelling might be able to suggest new rumours to GMs with a command similar to RITUAL.
Prism

Post by Prism »

Considering how recently I was gushing over how cool these were, I’m so super thrilled to see this.

Really looking forward to seeing it in action.
"The sky, above the clouds; A rainbow that fate has devoured
I gave up Hope
But I'm not going to be lost tomorrow; Even if it is hell
I'm gonna' crawl. "
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Related to @tulpa, is their going to be any way for us to add rumors to circulation?
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

I'd be all for more storytelling interaction with it, even if it allowed you to maybe pursue specific rumours via keywords with a chance to fail.

And suggest into a pool for GMs to approve, but definitely not open rumours. Don't trust people one jot.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
silly

Post by silly »

Somewhat related to this: could some room echoes be added in for Shadgard's commons? I see about three other rooms around town that have them, so it's understandable if this would be asking too much.
Using your hands, you work at washing a wash basin at a wash basin.
A wash basin is now clean.